1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Golf] Weekend Warriors

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Bellaire Brody, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Bellaire Brody

I'm new here and I've searched for an ongoing thread for golf players here on the BBS. I play as often as possible (and though I suck beyond belief) I LOVE the game.

So maybe we can use this thread to post about:

Equipment (What you want or have bought)
    Questions about your game
    Advise
    Courses and Deals
    And Whatever else golf related

Anyway, I hope there's other golf lovers like myself out there.

2. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

good reason: golf is for p*****s play basketball or something.

3. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Michael Jordan would have traded his basketball skills at any time for Tiger Wood's golf skills.

Most professional athletes would rather be golfers.

I am actually of the opinion that there is no single better job in the world then professional golfer, especially for those that make the big money.

For OP:

I'm a little out of date on my clubs. I'm using an older set of Cobras, but I like the distances/sweet spot ratio. They are still cavity backs, however. For the last 3 years I've been mulling changing over to blades, but I'm probably still 3-4 strokes away from being good enough to make the shift.

My woods are a big mix of brands. My primary driver is an older Big Bertha 460, very easy to hit. I gave up some distance from my previous driver, but I'm in the fairway much more consistently with it. I LOVE my Adams hybrids for iron 2-4. My three wood is an old Invex with a driver length shaft that I can't seem to get rid of because I hit it well. My SW and LW are both Vokies (milled).

I mostly play on the NW side of town. You'd be surprised how many golf courses will print decent coupons on their own websites. My buddies and I get good deals at the Woodlands Convention center pretty often too (Panther Creek/Trail). Just check the various golf couponing sites. The treat is when my Dad's friend invites us to go play Champions. Nothing like being on the green in regulation but still 40 yards from the hole.

As far as advise: If you have hit a ceiling in your game, take a series of 5 or 6 lessons from a good teaching pro. Not your Dad's friend, not the guy next door with a 5 handicap, but a person that does it professionaly. It can be pricey, but they will fix your swing so when you DO play, you are improving a good swing, not putting band-aids on a bad swing.

Also, hit clubs you hit well, don't buy new clubs just because everybody else does. I use a 10 year old set of irons because I hit them well and I'm comfortable with them.

#3 Supermac34, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  4. Bellaire Brody

Is that you Dom?

[​IMG]

5. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Thanks for the lovely contribution to the thread. I could argue that basketball is for p*****s, play football or something.

I love going to the driving range, but I've never played on an 18 hole course or anything. I've been wanting to try it since they changed up the golf course in my neighborhood (Quail Valley in Missouri City).

6. Bellaire Brody

I'm having the biggest eternal battle right now. Dangerously close to stopping by the Sports Authority on my way home from work and picking up a new set of irons.

7. joesr

joesr Member

my term for Weekend Warriors is for Reservist (military)

wtf does golfing got to do with weekend warriors??

8. Bellaire Brody

Playing golf on the weekend. I hope that I didn't offend.

Thank you for your service.

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Weekend warriors is often used to describe someone that only casually plays sports on the weekend.

10. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

lol that's not most people's definition of the term

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Widely known.. I'm the Callaway Tech Rep for Houston (part time semi-retired job) and former club assistant pro (second career). Feel free to email ask me anything about golf equipment or golf in Houston. But you won't find much interest in golf on this board, except in April maybe.

12. Bellaire Brody

PERFECT... So here goes:

Nike Slingshot Irons. Thoughts????

13. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Never use the term "golf players;" it's "golfers."

1 person likes this.
  14. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Is golf a sport or a game?

15. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

i was under the impression that all sports are games.

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

OP,

You can ask me questions too as my father has played for the last 46 years (his handicap is in the single digits - just asked him what it was and he said it was a 3). He helped me get some clubs as I am looking to get back into golf myself. I got a used set of Wilson Staff irons, a Callaway Big Bertha driver, a Nickent hybrid, and a Never Compromise putter. I got all of this (granted they were used) for $120. Probably still need a 3 wood but I am going to wait on that. At any rate, my dad is into golf like I am into music. :eek: :p:p

Seriously, email me through the board with any questions you got and I'll ask my dad and reply back to you.

17. SacTown

SacTown Member

You mentioned that you weren't any good in the original post, so I would say that whatever irons you have don't really matter as long as they are not blades. You need something probably oversized and forgiving right now.

I can tell you this, most people who get the golf bug spend way too much money on equipment thinking that it's going to help their game - and it never does. If you have a decent set of clubs right now just stick with them and play more. Once you can consistently break 90 with what you have then you can start thinking about getting fitted for some new, more expensive clubs. The balls you are playing don't really matter either until you start breaking 90.

The typical progression for a newbie golfer is as follows:

1. Play for the first time, get hooked, become obsessed think about it and read about it daily, spend too much time at golf shops, academy, browsing clubs and equipment - playing all the time. Having fun, knowing you suck. Focusing on how long you can drive the ball

2. You start to get better, break 100, get close to breaking 90 - then you start having a few good rounds and you think you are a better player than you actually are so then you start getting frustrated when you have bad rounds, golf is starting to become not so fun, you tell your friends that you are getting better and you shot a 91 and could have been in the 80's if not for 2 3-putts, then you go play with those friends and you shoot a 120 - you break a club, you start taking lessons, become obsessed again and watch the golf channel and read golf magazine for that one tip that's going to fix your game.

3. You either stay where you are or you get better and break 90. You start to understand that putting and short game are the key to scoring. You practice more on your putting, you probably buy one of those putting greens that returns the ball to you and put it in your office or your house, you can break 90 now, but not every time - and you stay here for the next 5-6 years - you might even play a few tournaments or scrambles

4. After 5-6 years of shooting mid 80's you either get very serious and get private lessons and work your ass off on the driving range and putting green trying to break 80 or you just kinda relax and start playing for fun again and lose the obsession - or you get completely frustrated and quit while saying golf is a waste of time and money

18. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

What's rock climbing, skiing, snowboarding, etc....

19. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

OK...let's get this thread semi back on track.....

What are your favorite courses to play in Houston? Which courses do you think have the best deals?

One of my NY resolutions is to get back into golf....been hitting buckets at the driving range alot lately....:cool: