1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Golf Swing Question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Bellaire Brody, May 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Bellaire Brody

For golfers obviously...

I’ve recently changed up my setup and swing and am getting a lot more solid contact. (And some BEAUTIFUL results with my wedges!!!)

But, when hitting with irons (Short, Mid, and Long), occasionally the ball starts on the target line and on the descent kind of bottoms out and curves off to the left. I’m not describing it as a pull because it starts off on the target line, and fades left at the last second. Am correct I correct in thinking that? And does anyone have any advice or possible causes?

Thanks! And remember… It ALWAYS tee time somewhere!!!

2. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Are you a lefty (as it is fading left at the last second)?

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Are you rolling your wrists, creating some yaw spin on the ball? Seems like it has to be a spin issue if the ball starts off on target.

4. Bellaire Brody

I'm right handed.

5. jank1434

It is unusual to have a ball spin off much more at the end after starting off relatively straight at impact (because the spin rate is less as the ball nears the ground). As bigtexxx said, it could be an issue of over-releasing the club head (if you are a righty), but oftentimes that will produce a pull-hook, or a consistent draw ball flight. Maybe try holding off on your release for a bit (this will cause pushes in the beginning until you get used to it). Ultimately, you want to find the happy medium between when to release the club.

You can maybe try a ball that reduces spin (i.e. Bridgestone e6), but that will also limit control around the greens. I hope this helps.

6. Bellaire Brody

I don't thinks so but possibly... I'm in my office simulating swing right now. ;)

Why does this result not show with my wedges as well?

7. jank1434

Wedges are much harder to work left to right because they have a higher loft (which is why drivers/woods slice/hook more than irons, typically).

1 person likes this.
  8. Bellaire Brody

Thanks!!!

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the 2 causes are usually 1) your swing is inside to out or 2) the club face is closed on impact

1 person likes this.
  10. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

If it's turning left that means you are closing the club face when you follow through, right? When I swing, I often slice it right because I don't roll my wrists and the club opens up. So you are likely closing your club too much...

Not a pro, haven't played competively in years, but hope that helps.

1 person likes this.
  11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Hey you guys are right.....
    Golf Nerds!

A little bit too inside of an attack angle causes the toe to release left of the target line instead of up the target line. The strike force is delivered square and on target so the ball starts there, but as it's momentum decreases, the spin axis (wind resistance) takes over and pushes the ball left.

Offset irons promote club head rotation because the center of gravity of the head is not in line with shaft. Irons with less offset tend to rotate less.
    So you could address it with practice, releasing the club up the line (not across it), try a club with less offset (usually a 'tour' model) or start you shots right of target.

( I look at this stuff on $30K worth of dopplar tracking radar when I work)

There's a public Demo Day at Wildcat on the 19th. Come try a tour model Callaway ( shameless promotion)

12. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

If you are right handed, and the ball has late left movement, you are describing a draw. Depending on how much of a draw, you may actually like the result of the shots and you can just learn to adjust your aim to play it. A draw is one of the easiest things to fix in golf (if you want to) and means your swing is very close to being perfect. It is actually usually one of the last "issues" with a golf swing before a player gets good. Causes of it can be different, but one of the main causes is grip.

Your grip may be a little strong:

http://3jack.blogspot.com/2010/01/golf-swing-key-concepts-part-viii.html