1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Golf Club Help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Big MAK, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Working in my industry, everyone seems to golf and I know I'm at a disadvantage if I don't do a little boondoggling here and there. I got a set of irons and woods back in either middle school or early high school. They aren't anything special, but they did fine for my semi-annual driving range trips. Now I'm starting to hit the range daily and improving a lot.

Right now I'm using Mitsushiba MV2 clubs. Obviously nothing special.

I was looking at upgrading my irons and getting a set of the Callaway Diablo for $300. However, I know until I get better, a new set of clubs probably wont do much... or will it?

I was looking on ebay, and for $180 someone is selling their set of clubs.
    http://houston.craigslist.org/spo/3575790848.html
    Titleist MS 209 Irons 3- PW (Black Triangle)
    Taylormade R 580xd 10.5 Driver
    Titleist Pro Trajectory 975f 14.5 Fairway Wood
    Cleveland Golf 56 Degree Sand Wedge
    Spalding TPM Putter

So, I guess my question is, is that a good deal on CL or should I just wait and get a new set of irons only? If I got the new irons, I'd still be using my old woods and would eventually have to upgrade. Are those clubs he has on CL good?

Thanks for the help. I really know nothing about golf.

2. thisiscaketown

These are some pretty old clubs. I'd hold out until you buy some new ones.

3. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Cool, thanks.

I can swing the $300 for a new set of irons, I just don't know how much it will really help at my current ability. Or does it? Will new clubs, ones that are a significant upgrade from my current ones, make a difference? Not necessarily in distance, but accuracy.

4. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

They can. The biggest difference they can make is in confidence. You feel better swinging a newer club that is lighter and has a bigger contact zone. Confidence is very important in Golf. Just ask Tiger.

5. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If you're wanting to upgrade your irons, and you really want to be serious about your game (not sure if you do or not), then you gotta go with Cleveland or PING.

If you're not real serious and just want some clubs that'll do you well, can't go wrong with any of the main brands.

In terms of woods, I wouldn't waste 300 dollars on a Diablo. Those haven't been terribly well received from what I've heard, but obviously it's up to you. Not saying they're bad, but the quality vs. price might not be the best. I'd definitely recommend PING woods. Those have recently been the ones I've seen as the highest quality, and they're around the same price.

7. Antec

Antec Member

Are you looking for a set of beginning clubs?

I only ask because I recently got a brand new set as a gift but I really have no interest in golf at the moment. I really am more of a Range person but not really a full game player. So instead i ended up going to golfsmith and buying a used driver and 3 wood.

Anyways my point of the post is i have this and i was looking to sell it, if you dont want it im prob going to list it on craigslist for $200. But if you want it ill sell it to you for $150.

http://www.amazon.com/Top-Flite-Mens-2012-Right/dp/B00766S1RA

They retail for about $250 up to $300 from most stores. Mine are brand new. Everything is still plastic wrapped. Each individual iron and driver is all plastic wrapped. All the reviews ive read says they are very very good for beginners to intermediate and are very forgiving. You get everything that is listed in that amazon listing. The bag on my set is red. If you are interested please reply to this post or PM me. Hope it helps.

8. Antec

Antec Member

Forgot to mention that Top Flite is manufactured by Callaway so these are a very good and dependable.

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm a huge fan of CG1 irons. They are blades, so you'd have to adjust your swing to a blade swing (typically faster paced and a whip thru the ball). Once you get your swing down with these clubs you'll be super accurate.

Taylor Made woods are fantastic and odyssey putters are great too.

10. le081488

le081488 Member

I'm just getting into the sport as well and have been a few times to the range.

Any people who play golf regularly want to give me any suggestions or advice in picking out a beginner set of golf clubs?

Thanks!

11. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Thanks Antec. I don't need everything you have or else I'd take you up on that offer. Good luck on CL, shouldn't be hard.

I'm now looking at the TaylorMade Burner 1.0 iron set with hybrid 3 and 4. It's $350. Seems like a pretty good deal with those hybrids in there, especailly since 2.0's are $500 and the only difference is the color/finish.

Another option is the Callaway Razr X HL with 2 hybrids. However, those are $500, which is a little more than I want to spend.

There is also the Cleveland Mashie hybrid/iron set. Those are $400.

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I bought a used set of Callaway Big Bertha irons a few years ago on ebay when I was looking to upgrade. I'm still terrible at golf, but they did give me a slight improvement and made it far easier to make solid contact.

13. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

At least investigate having a custom set made. I did for my last set and it was cheaper than the brand names, new anyway.

The clubs are identically made but you get the shaft length and shaft flexibility and grip sized for YOU.

I'm not in Houston, so I don't know where to recommend going. We have a guy where I live who has been doing this for 25 years. My first set from him was stolen. In a rush, I just bought a set from a retail golf shop. As soon as my son got big enough, I gave him those and went back to custom clubs.

If you don't mind showing an off-brand in your bag, the clubs will work better for you.