1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Golden State

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Joe Joe, Jun 7, 2000.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They have assembled an interesting line up with Dampier, Jamison, Marshall, Hughes, Cummings. This should be a good rebounding and scoring team if they can stay healthy.

Jamison and Hughes didn't play together. Jamison was coming out of his funk before injury. I was a big fan of his in college and think he could be a good pairing with Cato.

He can get down the court well.

If GS could play some D, they could be a playoff team in a couple of years.

The losses could make management edgy. Dampier, Marshall, and Jamison all would help the rockets.

------------------
    "You've got 6 fouls, use them well" -Derrick Coleman

2. outlaw

outlaw Member

I like Jamison too but I don't think the Warriors would trade him considering they gave away Vince Carter AND cash to get him.

But if I were to make an offer...
    Walt + #9 + Drew for Jamison?

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I was looking for a worthy post to place my 1000nth post down.

I WOULD LOVE to have Jamison. He would be an outstanding addition at SF for us.

He plays very well, rebounds, scores, and is from a great program.

I would trade Walt, 9 and Drew for Jamison...YES !!!

I would also consider trading Drew and Cato for Jamison, and draft Moiso at number 9.

Thoughts.

DaDakota

1000 is here, on my way to 2000, anyone want to bet that Francis3 and Heypartner get to 4000 before I get to 2000? They joined long after me...sheesh !!!

------------------

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

DaDakota,

I am honored for the 1000th to be on my topic.

I don't know what ails GS. I see them retooling around Hughes. They need Defense.

I would offer Cato, two future #1s not necarrily ours, Drew, and Rogers for Jamison and garbage. With the exception, the rockets can take away a salary problem. He would give the rockets a player to play 3 and 4. The rockets could use his scoring down low plus is a strong rebounder.

I like Cato's potential as a defender. If you don't have a good center, you need someone to defend them.

------------------

5. MManal

MManal Member

I would love to have an athletic and explosive forward like Jamison on this team, but I seriously doubt the Warriors would go for it. Considering they gave up Vince Carter to get him, I dont think they will let him go easily. They have two extremely talented young players in Jamison and Hughes to build around, and I doubt they will let either of them go.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Id rather keep what the Rockets have.

I dont think Jamison would be the answer.

------------------
    I have a special purpose.

7. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Ditto

------------------
    THE DEAN HAS WRITTEN

8. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

One thing to keep in mind: having Jamison around is a reminder that they didn't take Carter. Send him to Rocketland; we can use him.

------------------
    There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't.

9. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I live in the bay area, and can tell you Twan would be a huge addition to any good team. Wonderful work ethic and a very solid player. However I dont think G.S. would find anything on our ballclub to their liking, but then again this is the dumbest organization in Basketball(the clippers are just cheap).

------------------
    "We need to fockass".....Dream back in the day

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Jamison wasn't a bad pick. Carter just has flourished in the NBA. Noone thought he would be better than Jamison.

I would like to get a player like him. I think Cato, #9 would get him without salary concerns. This would turn the rocs into a donut, even more so.

------------------

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Joe Joe,

A doughnut? What if Hakeem comes back, maybe a solid bagel then huh?

DaDakota

------------------

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Jelly-filled???

YUMMY!

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

GS didn't really pass up Carter for Jamison.

Toronto had the 4th pick, and GS had the 5th pick. Toronto wanted Carter, GS wanted Jamison. A few teams were talking to Toronto about trading up to their spot, and taking Jamison. So for insurance, Toronto took Jamison (for GS) and GS took Carter (for Toronto) then, GS traded Carter/cash for Jamison, which was the plan all along.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Erick Dampier -- yet another guy that makes more and produces less than that guy with the 'outrageous contract', Kelvin Cato.

------------------

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Golden State, in recent years, has always been a good rebounding team, but they haven't been very good at putting the ball in the basket. Terry Cummings and Jamison have been the only consistent players on that team.

I would absolutely LOVE to have Jamison on the Rockets. I'd pretty much trade anyone outside of Francis, Mobley, Cato and Anderson...oh, and Moochie to get Jamison.

We NEED Cato because he is the only real center other than Hakeem. I know...that may be questionable, but he is all we have.

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!

16. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

NIKEstrad, while what you say is true, it is my understannding that Jamison was the #1 guy on GS's talent board (the guy they really wanted). Because if they really hoped for Carter but didn't think it would happen, they could still have taken Jamison with their #5 after Carter was gone. Alternately, if someone traded for #4 and then stole Jamison from them, oh well, they would have been stuck with Carter at #5. For GS it was Jamison all along, Toronto abused them in the deal.

Previously I had been thinking of trading our #9 for GS's #1 next year, because I still think they will be one of the 2-3 worst teams in the West next year and they got to be hurting for a good draft pick (they need to win soon for PR). But with Mihm, Swift and Miles going pro this year, I don't know about this anymore. However, if we don't have the guy we want (not that impressed with Moiso, Demarr or Miller, Miles is gone), I would consider trading our #9 for next years GS #1 plus maybe their this years #2 + a #2 in 2002. Just a thought.

------------------
    "The Rockets were ahead of the Suns by 20 late in game 2 of the series, but when the going got tough, we just Pippened . We would not be done in the series though."

17. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

As another Bay Area resident, I'll confirm that Jamison is not going anywhere. He and Hughes are the nucleus of the W's future (followed by Dampier and V. Cummings).

Donyell Marshall, though, is VERY available (especially for anyone with a shorter contract), and I think they'd be delighted to give Jason Caffey away to anyone who'll take him.

Regarding Dampier, I'd say he's definitely more valuable than Cato -- sure, his individual stats look bad, but his influence on the W's team defense is enormous. In the two years before this one (and in the brief time this year when he was able to play significant minutes), the W's were an above-average defensive team. Without Dampier (most of this year, and the two years before he was acquired), they've been one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

------------------

18. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Swopa do you ever go to the games in GS? I think me you and Sir should all get together and watch the Rockets games sometimes. Anyways I think Damp is more valuable to the Warriors soley because the way their team is made. If Cato were on the Warriors I believe he would have performed much better. I had season tix to the Warriors for 4 out of the last 5 years. I can't stand Damps game, the guy couldn't finnish if his life deppended on it. Also for his size he is a horrible shot blocker. He brings a young big body just like Kelvin. I think if we compared the values of each player and took consideration what teams each player plays for Erick was the more valuable player(he didnt play last year so I will base this on Ericks previous years) however Cato is easily the better player, even at his current underachieving status.

------------------
    "We need to fockass".....Dream back in the day

19. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

I went to about half the Warriors' home games this year. And while I'm on the subject of embarrassing admissions, I should confess that I'm more of a Warriors fan than a Rockets fan.

I found this site back when there were rumors of Sam Mack coming to Golden State, and still check it occasionally because . . . well, because it's the best NBA fan site I've found anywhere. Plus, I was already a big fan of Will's political writing, so I'm always interested to hear what he has to say about hoops.

------------------

20. verse

verse Contributing Member

sorry, but i beg to differ. first of all, count me among the few, the proud, the ones who knew - not thought - that carter would be better than jamison.

one thing about dean smith is that the best player on the team doesn't always get the most points or media attention. dean's system took a player's best individual attribute (in carter's/jordan's case, his scoring) and uses it to the benefit of the "team." that doesn't mean he scores 30ppg ala iverson. that means you score within the confines of the offense (especially for a guard) and pass when the attention comes.

also, jamison was a strong college post player with a quick release in the post. those players are typically more dominant in individual college games than are guards. therefore, it made perfect sense to pitch it to antawn. his moves were so effective in college, that the ball never really had to swing back around to carter or williams. 'tawn was just too good of a college post player. i'm not con"vince"d (pardon the pun) about 'tawn's pro prospects. unless he puts on some weight and further develops his jumper, he'll soon become another tom hammonds.

but if you watch unc games back then, you had to know that carter had that "FIRE!!!"

as for antawn, there's no way in H-E-double toothpick that i'd give up cato, two first round pix, drew, etc. for him. no way, no how. he's just not the banging, defensive minded power forward that the rox need.

i still believe in cato. and in 2 years, when he's become the shot-blocking, dunking fool that is theo ratliff while we're sifting through two more sammiches, you will too....

------------------
    miles ahead of the rest

[This message has been edited by verse (edited June 09, 2000).]