1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Going to Toyota Center with the Rowdies w/ Pics

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sishir Chang, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Yesterday was the first time I got to see the Rockets playing in Houston since they were playing in the Summit. Let me emphasize not the Compaq Center but back when it was still called the Summit to give you an idea how long it had been since I had seen a game in Houston. It was a great experience since I got to watch the game with Rowdies and capped off by an impressive win over the pesky Hornets.

I had been in touch with one of the Rowdies, Clutchfan Krosfyah, who had kindly invited me over to his house for a BBQ with the Rowdies. I got to Krosfyah’s house around 4PM on Saturday and hung out with a bunch of the Rowdies. It was already a welcome change to be hanging out with a bunch of people who were Rockets’ fans talking about the Rockets instead of hanging out with T-Wolves fans like I usually was.

The Rowdies seemed like an average group of people enjoying an afternoon BBQ but about 6PM the transformation began.The easy going guys I had been chatting and playing poker with were replaced by the intense visages of the Rockets most loyal fans. Out came red wigs, war paint, masks, capes and drums and mild mannered fans became Red Rowdies.

We headed to Toyota Center and it was an impressive site for a guy who hadn’t been to a Rockets home game in years to see all of the people showing up in Rockets’ gear. The Rockets’ drumline was out front getting things going along with the Little Dippers kids groups. While waiting inside the main lobby I got to meet Dave2000 who pointed out a few of the RPD walking by and also the infamous Yao stalkers.

While waiting for things to get going I took a look at the floor and arena of Toyota Center. Even though I had seen it many times on TV it was very impressive to see it with my own eyes. While its seating isn’t vastly greater than the old Summit it seemed much larger and taller in addition to having much better viewlines.

The Rowdies assembled in the main entrance lobby and got things going with chants and drums. Once the Amigos showed up things started to really get going. I got to huddle up with the Rowdies and then we set off around the concourses getting fans fired up. It was great high-fiving people and watching people cheer the Rowdies as they made their way around the TC. I hadn’t experienced that level of fan excitement outside of college games. While doing the circuit whenever the Rowdies encountered someone wearing Hornets gear they would razz them and mock them with “Playoffs! Playoffs!” I kind of felt bad for these guys since most of the time I’m the guy rooting for the visiting team and had been razzed myself watching the Rockets on the road.

After doing the whole circuit of the both the upper level and lower level concourses. Got to section 114 and settled down to the game. I was sitting next Andymoon who was done up in Road Warrior gear except with basketballs as pads and another rowdy who was dressed for Mardi Gras. The Rowdies showed me their traditions like turning their backs during the visiting team’s introductions and the countdown for the Rockets. It was so loud in that section that I couldn’t hear the Rockets’ being introduced.

The game itself was great and even more so finally getting to cheer at a Rockets’ game where I’m not vastly outnumbered by fans rooting for the other team. It was also great doing all of the Rowdy cheers and was impressed by the amount of creativity that they had in coming up with cheers during the game such as coming up with cheers razzing the refs and Chris Paul. I yelled my head off and I’m going to be hoarse for a few days but it was all worth it to cheer the Rockets on to victory.

The game ended and I left the building with Rowdies as they high fived people leaving the Toyota Center. The Rowdies kept things going with cheers on the way out and we were mobbed by other fans as we came out of TC. At this point I had to say goodbye to the Rowdies and met up with another Clutchfans for a beer and breakdown the game.

So now I’m writing this on my flight back to Minnesota and my voice still hasn’t recovered and my ears are still ringing from the drums and cheering. I don’t mind though as this was a great trip down and a memorable experience. I would really like to thank Krosfyah, Andymoon and the other Rowdies for making me feel a part of the Red Rowdies. I really hope they keep this up as a Rockets’ tradition and look forward to seeing them cheering on the Rockets to victory in the playoffs.

Posting some pics below and will try to load some video to YouTube of the Rowdies.

2. Sishir Chang

Here's some Pics:

Krosfyah putting on his game face
    [​IMG]

Rowdy getting into character
    [​IMG]

Little Dippers
    [​IMG]

Amigos
    [​IMG]

Getting Red and Rowdy!
    [​IMG]

Clutch gets the Rowdies going
    [​IMG]

Andymoon in Rowdy gear
    [​IMG]

3. Sishir Chang

A few more:

Rowdies working thier Mojo
    [​IMG]

Rowdy on the drum
    [​IMG]

Rowdies coming for U!
    [​IMG]

Victory is Red and Rowdy!
    [​IMG]

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

That is a damn nice mirror.

5. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

awesome report Sishir, good to hear that you had a great time, again, it was good to meet you, and fly back down for the playoffs this weekend!!! :)

6. Blue Brick

Blue Brick Member

Terrific, just terrifc!! Great story + Awsome pics, mate!! A big big thumb up.
    I could only dream of ever going there myself one day. I'm living in Scotland, absolutely no one plays/watches/cares/knows about basketball over here!! :mad:

7. T-Mac1

T-Mac1 Contributing Member

You got any pics of jack sparrow the rowdy !! He's awesome :cool:

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  8. T-Mac1

Nah my wee pal you are totally wrong !! you got a man with you :D :cool:

9. Blue Brick

Blue Brick Member

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

10. T-Mac1

Perhaps am the only one who cheers for the Rockets in mother Glesga !! Aye ?

I guess we should beg for some spare change and fly to Houston!! SPARE CHANGE please !!

11. Blue Brick

Blue Brick Member

aye aye.. damn right pal. big issues get you nowhere!! :D

12. Blue Brick

Blue Brick Member

Geezo, man! posting at 4 in the morning?! :p

13. T-Mac1

:eek:

Aye !! I'm not gonnie go to the uni today !! I dinna want to waste the opportunity to celebrate the unique event as we have a lad surfing the board from The Scottish land :eek:

14. Blue Brick

Blue Brick Member

:cool: i've got hee haw to dea too :D btw, how do u watch ya matches mate? nea tele at my flat, i rely on sopcast mainly.. :(

15. T-Mac1

:p

Same here !! Sopcast and some other websites

16. T-Mac1

Check your inbox here BlueBrick !! it's gr8 to know u ma wee man :cool:

17. zazahan

zazahan Contributing Member

Thanks for sharing. 5 star :rolleyes:

18. Sishir Chang

Wish I could... I really wish I could.. :(

19. Sishir Chang

He was there but I forgot to get one of him. D'oh!

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  20. YugoRocketsFan

Ahh my first nba game, i was the happiest 5 year old alive, except for the 5 year old part haha.