1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Going to Sacramento/San Fran/LA...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets R' Us, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Mar.17-24. Any sights/tips/etc for first time west coast travel? I'm catching a flight to Sacramento and i'll be there 14-17, then free to spend 17-21 in San Fran/LA. Trying to keep it relatively under a K in budget, not including return flight to Chi.

Love music and sports, so will try to hit a clippers or lakers game. Warriors look good too so maybe hit that as well. Any other thoughts?

2. 713

713 Member

in and out

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I went there for an interview with intel it didn't seem like anyone wanted to be there.

4. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

I live in the Bay Area. You don't need 3 days in Sacramento, you really only need about 1 day, 2 max. Spend most of your time in San Francisco just because there is so much to explore and find. Also, I used to live in Orange County, close to L.A. it's a great city, the traffic sucks but there's still a lot to do... Check out O.C. and the beaches, esp. Newport and Huntington Beach if the weathers nice.

Let me know if you have any questions about anything. There's a few good bars and places in Sacramento, I can recommend too. I'm familiar with all 3 of these cities.

5. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

In Sacramento 3 days for work, so kinda mandatory lol...but free to spend the remaining 18-22 split in San Fran/LA however I want to schedule it.

I want to rent a car in Sac and drive down to San Fran and then to LA...maybe take the scenic route along the cliffs. Any advice?

6. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

If you really want to get to know San Francisco, take a bike tour. Fishermans Wharf and Alcatraz are nothing special.

http://www.sosfbiketours.com/

I did the 7X7 tour and it was awesome.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Don't fall off?

I'm heading out to Orange County tomorrow morning. I really do like it there...except for the cost. I will never understand how people survive there if they make anything less than $100k.

8. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

HWY 1 (Pacific Coast Highway) is pretty wonderful, but you need some time. Even consider staying a night somewhere in between SF and LA (like in Monterey or even better: Carmel.)

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Strongly disagree especially if you've never been to San Francisco before. Alcatraz especially.

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

honestly?

skip the Sacramento part

12. mulletman

mulletman Member

If youre planning on driving from San Francisco to LA on Highway 1, this is a great site to use as a reference for places to visit...It also gives frequent updates on driving conditions on the road.

http://jrabold.net/bigsur/index.htm

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Sacramento has a nice old town and the train museum is worth a look. otherwise head out towards Tahoe or other parts of the gold country like Auburn, grass valley, Nevada city.

San Francisco is great o visit, hit Fisherman's Wharf, eat crab or shrimp cocktails, bread from Boudin Bakery, walk to Ghiradehli Square and have a hot fudge sundae and hot chocolate, go to Chinatown for dim sum. basically eat the whole time

14. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2nd the Alcatraz rec. It's just about the only touristy thing I've done that I really enjoyed. The audio tour is good and the views from the island, and on the trips to and from, are great.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If you are going to Alcatraz makes sure you book your tickets in advance.

16. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

LA > SF.

Yeah, I said it.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Alcatraz was badass. I did the audio night tour over the summer, and it was amazing. So much history in one place.

18. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

Drive from SF to LA on Pacific Coast Highway (Highway 1). It's a LONGGGG drive, but it's worth it if you're into that kind of stuff.

Yup. It's worth going to Alcatraz. The audio tour was pretty great.

Ignore this guy.

19. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

I guess I'm in the minority on Alcatraz. Although there seems to be a lot less opposition to me saying Fishermans Wharf is a tourist trap.

20. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

go to haight park and buy weed on the street corner in broad daylight from a guy who definitely looks like he's carrying a few ounces on him

1 person likes this.