1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Godspeed 007 - Roger Moore passes away at 89.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cwebbster, May 23, 2017.

1. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

2. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Weird......I'm still all upset about Chris Cornell, and for some reason, I've listened to "you'll know my name" about four times this morning. Not sure why I like that song so much, but for me, it's up there with Live and Let Die for best bond songs.

DudeWah likes this.
  3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I was definitely a fan entertained by him in the Bond movies during my early years. I always felt he came the closest to being who James Bond should be. My opinion continues to be the most entertaining Bond films came out during his reign and much of it just has to do with his approach to, and acting in, the role. He brought that pizzaz to the role. Of course, I consider him the less serious portrayal of Bond out of all of them. And, some of it didn't always work so well. But, it was fun. Thank you for that. I'm sure I'll be watching his films again here in remembrance as we know TV is going to air the hell out of them now in dedication. RIP

Tha_Dude, kgw and boomboom like this.
  4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

My favorite Bond. Will be re-watching his films again soon.

Tha_Dude, tinman, Richie_Rich and 2 others like this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

First Bond to pass away if i'm not mistaken.

Never a big fan of his more comedic take on Bond (save for The Spy Who Loved me which is one of my faves). But it's impossible not to acknowledge his iconic status with the character. Got his money's worth at 89.

boomboom likes this.
  6. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Live and Let Die was pretty dope.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

he was my first bond experience. didn't know there were others before him until pierce brosnan took over and i started doing some research.

8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Does Peter Sellers count?

DFWRocket likes this.
  9. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

The bond of my youth. Took me a while to warm up to Sean Connery because Roger Moore was my first exposure but eventually I understood both brought their own style to the role. RIP Roger.

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I've been listening to Like a Stone every morning since. Never knew I was such a big Cornell fan till he left. Maybe I put on some old school Bond tonight too.

11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Same here.

RIP Roger 007 Moore

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

As an 80's kid, he was our 007.

RIP.

Richie_Rich and boomboom like this.
  13. PhiSlammaJamma

Bond: Did you see who shot Fairbanks?
    Saida: No, I was in his arms. My eyes were closed.
    Bond: Well, at least he died happy.

14. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

same here.

live and let die is my favorite of his. man with the golden gun. i remember seeing a view to a kill in the theater when i was a kid. that one never gets much respect, i think it holds up.

the lotus!
    [​IMG]
    his battles with jaws!
    [​IMG]

j.w. pepper!
    [​IMG]

Richie_Rich and VooDooPope like this.
  15. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

And nobody does it better
    Though sometimes I wish someone could
    Nobody does it quite the way you do
    Why'd you have to be so good?

+RIP

VooDooPope likes this.
  16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/24/entertainment/roger-moore-marc-haynes-post/index.html

Roger Moore was truly special. He was a gentleman. He had a sense of humor. He was a great Bond. He always seemed like a nice person. Found this story and it really shows just why people loved him.

As an seven year old in about 1983, in the days before First Class Lounges at airports, I was with my grandad in Nice Airport and saw Roger Moore sitting at the departure gate, reading a paper. I told my granddad I'd just seen James Bond and asked if we could go over so I could get his autograph. My grandad had no idea who James Bond or Roger Moore were, so we walked over and he popped me in front of Roger Moore, with the words "my grandson says you're famous. Can you sign this?"

As charming as you'd expect, Roger asks my name and duly signs the back of my plane ticket, a fulsome note full of best wishes. I'm ecstatic, but as we head back to our seats, I glance down at the signature. It's hard to decipher it but it definitely doesn't say 'James Bond'. My grandad looks at it, half figures out it says 'Roger Moore' - I have absolutely no idea who that is, and my hearts sinks. I tell my grandad he's signed it wrong, that he's put someone else's name - so my grandad heads back to Roger Moore, holding the ticket which he's only just signed.

I remember staying by our seats and my grandad saying "he says you've signed the wrong name. He says your name is James Bond." Roger Moore's face crinkled up with realisation and he beckoned me over. When I was by his knee, he leant over, looked from side to side, raised an eyebrow and in a hushed voice said to me, "I have to sign my name as 'Roger Moore' because otherwise...Blofeld might find out I was here." He asked me not to tell anyone that I'd just seen James Bond, and he thanked me for keeping his secret. I went back to our seats, my nerves absolutely jangling with delight. My grandad asked me if he'd signed 'James Bond.' No, I said. I'd got it wrong. I was working with James Bond now.

Many, many years later, I was working as a scriptwriter on a recording that involved UNICEF, and Roger Moore was doing a piece to camera as an ambassador. He was completely lovely and while the cameramen were setting up, I told him in passing the story of when I met him in Nice Airport. He was happy to hear it, and he had a chuckle and said "Well, I don't remember but I'm glad you got to meet James Bond." So that was lovely.

And then he did something so brilliant. After the filming, he walked past me in the corridor, heading out to his car - but as he got level, he paused, looked both ways, raised an eyebrow and in a hushed voice said, "Of course I remember our meeting in Nice. But I didn't say anything in there, because those cameramen - any one of them could be working for Blofeld."

I was as delighted at 30 as I had been at 7. What a man. What a tremendous man.

calurker and jo mama like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

One of the Greats. RIP

18. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Agreed with everything you said. I think he was the most natural Bond character out of any others, a guy who wasn't supposed to be taken too seriously and injected good amounts of humor throughout the films. He was also capable of playing it very serious though, and he had great depth and vision over what he thought the character should be. Some of his films didn't do so well in the box office but I blame a lot of that over people having such an obsession with Connery, and poorer writing and supporting actors in many of those films when Moore took over. Connery starred in some gem's that were really well written and executed perfectly but Moore only had one of them which was The Spy Who Loved Me. Even still, his character alone is enough to carry most of his films in the series, at least for me.

In the end, I think they kept him on for too long. His age was showing in Octopussy but he was simply ancient in View to a Kill, even though I liked the movie he was clearly too old to be playing a spy there.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Roger was the most effective with the Bond Girls and Ladies.

[​IMG]

#19 daywalker02, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
  20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

my favorite bond. moore was a class act