1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gloves are off [Fertitta @ FirstTake]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by corrado, Sep 17, 2019.

1. corrado

corrado Member

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Fern t*** broke AF.

3. JW86

JW86 Member

Oh my, why this guy so horny for attention?! Can this organisation just for once not be all talk?

burlesk, Von Rafer, da_juice and 5 others like this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Tilman really making the rounds promoting his book. They even made SAS hold up a copy of the book to the camera...lulz

Next he'll be on Fallon.

burlesk, Houstunna, Rudyc281 and 10 others like this.
  5. Fantasma Negro

Damn Tily is a ****ing *******. I'm actually starting to like this dude

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

What does Russell bring to the Rockets that CP3 didn't?

Well first off, James & Russell go back to the early days in LA. They know each other. There's a chemistry there. They can talk to each other. ...no hurt feelings. I think his tempo...Russell is on a different level on the fast break. My basketball ops showed me all these stats of transition & everything how he'll truly change our team the way he brings the ball up so fast at times.

At what point do you feel the handcuffs are off and I no longer have to satisfy anything in the past & I can run the business exactly as I want going forward?

I operate by a rule that I talk about in the book. I know what I know and I know what I don't know. Sure, the handcuffs are off. The owner of any team makes the final decision but any smart owner will listen to their intelligent basketball people or football people or whatever. The handcuffs are off. The first two years, the handcuffs were on. This is my team but I have great people (Daryl Morey, Tad Brown).

Going forward starting now?

100%. It's just the way it is.

Expectations?

With two of the last three MVPs, my expectations are extremely high. Our whole franchise expectations from Mike to Daryl to Tad, all of us, but at the same time, we're not chasing one team anymore. Look at Utah, Portland, Denver, Clippers, Lakers, everybody should be excited about the NBA. This is going to be a really good time but we better be in the WCF. All you can do is set your team up to be one of the top 4-5 best teams and then it takes a little luck.

I look at Harden & Westbrook as the most unstoppable back court in basketball. But I have questions about D'Antoni defensively. Are you at a point right now where it's put up or shut up with D'Antoni?

Mike D'Antoni is a great coach & fits our team. Let's not talk situational. I think we'll have a great year and Mike & I will sit down. I think Mike D'Antoni will be the coach this year, next year and probably the year after that but we need to be successful too. I think we will be and I don't even think it'll be an issue. Mike is the right guy for James & Russell Westbrook. We brought in a new defensive coach who is changing some schemes. And don't forget James Harden is the best post defender in the league last year. When he wants to play defense, there's nobody any better on defense. James Harden, what he did last year in the regular season, Milwaukee & Giannis unbelievable but when you still look at it, he should have gotten it.

There are players who elevate, who stay the same and some who get worse [in the playoffs]. So far, James Harden, when you need him most has been a lesser version of himself. Do you believe in that sort of thing? Can anything be done there or just luck of the draw & sample size?

James knows he just turned 30 years old. A lot of great players do not win a championship until they're in their 30s. Right at 30 and 31. This is the time for Russell & James to step up and make it happen in the playoffs. They've been unbelievable in the regular season. They've even had unbelievable series in the playoffs but they both know this is their time & I truly believe they'll rise to the occasion.

[Molly] Max would you shut up and listen? This is their time, OK?
    :D

#6 J.R., Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    burlesk, Why not?, Deckard and 12 others like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

LOL this guy is on a talk talk talk talk world tour

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Nook likes this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This quote will get aggregated and mocked endlessly. Book it. Bleacher Report, Yahoo NBA, ESPN. Mark it down right now. They will put that quote in a graphic and tweet it out.

Richie_Rich, RyanB, da_juice and 9 others like this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Cuban did this years ago and this board thought he was the best owner in the league.

All Tilman does is throw money at this team. New plane, extensions, brings in big stars to replace old men.

He can win on this board.

11. Nook

Nook Member

12. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

Shut up and pay the luxury tax

13. JW86

JW86 Member

Cuban is a prick, broke up a championship team and runs an organisation that has a toxic environment. Tilman can definitely do right by fans, but I don’t like all this talk when you know it’s 90% bull. Morey is already a media w**** so one is enough. And I would’ve actually liked if he actually used his big mouth and said we’re going to win it all.

Der Rabbi, da_juice and FrontRunner like this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nobody likes him. But he keeps popping up everywhere. Like a Kardashian. We just want him to disappear. #gobacktokemah

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I think he acts like 99% of the board/fans would act like if they owned the Rockets. Cuban calmed down a bit later on but he is vocal still and I think it's better to have an owner like that, especially if they're passionate about it.

Personally with Tilman, why wouldn't he be talking about this team? I mean hell, he probably is in a position 99% of NBA team owners would wish to be in with their own team (ie, we have 2 MVPs both in their primes). I know I'd sure as hell be talking and telling the media what's coming.

Even if an owner is wrong about their team, it's a lot better if they're involved. Look at what Balmer has done with the Clippers, he certainly talks a lot too.

Houstunna, da_juice, biff17 and 3 others like this.
  16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I'd prefer that too, with the talking, might as well say this team is going to do it etc.

JW86 likes this.
  17. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

How is this organization all talk? In the two years he has been owner, Rockets have easily been the second best team. Not Tilmans fault that the Warriors happened to be an all time team...

da_juice, YaoMing#1, Patience and 5 others like this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, if the Warriors didn't have an all time team, Harden would have had at least one ring by now (minimum), at least that's the way I'd see it.

Rudyc281, da_juice, YaoMing#1 and 2 others like this.
  20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Where was this energy for Le$?