1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Glen Rice signs with Clippers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by couch_pot8o, Oct 10, 2003.

1. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

GOOD LUCK FOR GLEN RICE!

The Los Angeles Clippers today signed free agent forward Glen Rice, it was announced by Vice President of Basketball Operations Elgin Baylor.

Over his 14-year NBA career, Rice has tallied 18.6 points, 4.4 rebounds and 2.1 assists in 35.4 minutes per game, while converting 6,754-14,791 FG (.457), 3,208-3,796 FT (.845) and 1,554-3,868 3FG (.402).

“In Glen we are getting an experienced veteran who is considered one of the purest shooters who has ever played the game,” stated Baylor. “He can play the shooting guard or small forward position for us and his ability to hit the open shot will spread the defense and help our low-post players.”

Rice recorded 9.0 points, 2.5 rebounds and 24.7 minutes in 62 games played for the Houston Rockets last season. He also connected on 196-457 FG (.429) and 101-254 3FG (.398) on the year.

Known as one of the best long range shooters in NBA history, Rice currently ranks third on the all-time NBA list in three-pointers made (1,554), fifth in three-pointers attempted (3,868) and is tied for 14th with a career three-point percentage of .402. Rice also ranks 10th among active NBA players and 48th all-time with 18,270 career points.

The fourth overall selection by the Miami Heat in the 1989 NBA Draft, Rice was a member of the University of Michigan’s 1989 NCAA Championship team, averaging 25.6 points and 6.3 rebounds over his senior season.

Rice remains the Heat’s all-time leading scorer with 9,248 points as well as the Hornet’s all-time leader in scoring averaged with 23.5 points per game. He also ranks third on the Hornet’s all-time list in scoring with 5,651 points. In addition, Rice’s averages of 15.9 points and 4.1 rebounds during the 1999-00 season, helped the Lakers win the 2000 NBA Championship. A three-time All-Star, Rice took home MVP honors in the 1997 All-Star Game after scoring 26 points in the game, setting All-Star records with 20 points in the third quarter and 24 total points in the second half.

http://www.nba.com/clippers/news/clippers_sign_rice_031010.html

2. PhiSlammaJamma

Why didn't the Clippers just say "ditto" to what Rudy T. Said.

3. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

i just noticed it.. we just like traded glen rice for eric piatkowski. lol.:p

4. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Then why in the hell would the Rockets sign Amaechi?!?!?!

5. Just B

Just B Member

Heh, so technically Rice has been on 3 teams within the last 10 days.:D

6. Sattle

Sattle Contributing Member

Wonder what Rice signed for ... ?

7. spaceboy

spaceboy Member

Wish him the best with the Clippers.

8. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

I think the change in scenery may do him some good. If he only stayed healthy for the Rox...

Ex-Rox players have a history of torching the Rox come game time, Rice will be next in line.

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I think that Mobley, Jackson and A. Griff will have a thing to say, defensively, about Rice going bonkers against the Rocks.

10. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

He also signed for one year, and a lil over the veterans minimum...according to NBA.com, the Spurs, Nets and Clippers were all interested, and he also lost 25 pounds over the summer and looked nice in a workout for the Clips...It must've been about the money, cuz SA offered the minimum (and I'm sure NJ did too) and the Clips offered a tad more...how can you rationalize playing for the Clips instead of NJ or SA????

11. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is hilarious.

12. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

Let's hope so. But as they say when you're hot it doesn't matter whose marking you. I'm sure Rice would love to torch the Rox just to prove he's not a wash-up.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

The Clippers signed 36-year-old veteran Glen Rice to a one-year contract worth a little more than the $1 million veterans' minimum Friday.

14. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Where would you rather live? New Jersey or Los Angeles? Hmmmmmm.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

SO. . . .Rice will light us up for Career Highs
    when we play the clippers?

Rocket River

16. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

For the sexual appeal of his man boobs, what a rack.

17. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

true, but it also proves my point that Rice was in it for the money, not for a chance at a ring...

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I hope he doesnt hit us for a career highs. I think his is around 55 points.

But I dont think we have to worry too much about that.

:cool:

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well, obviously, it wasn't about winning a championship. But, I doubt it's about the money. A quarter million dollars isn't really even noticeable compared to the buy-out he just received. It could be he didn't think he'd fit in well with the playing style of the other teams (can you imagine him running as much as the Nets do?) or was concerned about playing time.

20. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

Well, he already has a ring doesnt he? Or did the Lakers make him give it back for his wife's comments ? :p I bet his wife just wanted to be back in Los Angeles.