1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Glen Rice Jr?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by csc177, Jul 14, 2015.

1. csc177

csc177 Member

Does this kid deserve a shot to make the team? I say why not, especially since KJ may not return. He's dominated D-Leauge, and Summer League the last two years. He had a short stint with the Wizards last year and actually had an impact in some games. I don't see why he couldnt add to our SG depth at 6'6, and he's only 24.

This year's Vegas SL (after 3 games)
    22.7ppg/5reb/2.3ast/40%3p

Last year's D League Stats
    20ppg, 6reb, 4ast, 30% 3pt (career 35%)

2013 Vipers Playoff Stats:
    25ppg/9reb/4ast

Wizards 2014 Stats per 36 min
    10ppg/5.7rbs/2ast

http://youtu.be/2EHpdNNHBpw

2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

He was the MVP of the 2014 summer league,

and then got cut by the Wiz during the season in order to add another scrub to the end of the bench.

nuff said.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His dad was a chucker

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

pretty simplistic and underwhelming way to describe glen rice.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

His dad cost the Rockets draft picks. Never trust this family.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We traded him for john amechi.

We didn't get rice in his prime.

He was more like porridge

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

ACTUALLY, the trading away of Glen Rice that "cost the Rockets draft picks" created a large trade exception that facilitated the Tracy McGrady trade with Orlando in 2004. I can live with that sequence of events.

8. CertifiedTroll

Rice Jr has the worst body language of any player I have seen play summer league.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Pretty sure they could have structured thr deal to make things work anyway, with only minor changes.

10. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

If he can become anything like his dad with the progression of the Rockets training staff... I'm in.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3iifBBH_4Hs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Only way he's making the team is if something happens to Brewer, Ariza, or Thornton.

12. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have only seen one summer league game, but I was unimpressed by Rice. He tried to score by himself every time he got the ball. Didn't set up or even use team mates.

Now Harrell looked like he was trying to make everybody else better. Guess that is the difference between having a roster slot and trying to catch somebody's eye.

13. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

His dad was one of the purest shooters of all time.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Inexperienced.

there's a few guys who dominate those leagues every season...it doesn't mean they're ready to play minutes for a contender. You'd rather look at other options and bring in someone with more experience.

I just noticed he releases the ball exactly like his father, but it's not the same shot.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

Vipers will be as close as he gets to the Rockets. :p

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A chance, but if all three FAs return, that's a lot of guys. I'd think he'd be more likely to make a team elsewhere. <a href="https://t.co/wvqAuJkViV">https://t.co/wvqAuJkViV</a></p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/620811151534747648">July 14, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I think you misspelled Vipers.

He can score, but Rockets running out of roster room and have a lot of young guys. <a href="https://t.co/XBoiTokDUI">https://t.co/XBoiTokDUI</a></p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/620354190036963328">July 12, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  16. malakas

malakas Member

The reason he was cut from the Wizards was attitude issues and uncoachabillity.
    So I rather not take a chance at him.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He also sold hair gel, did he not? :p

18. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

A chcuker who plays no defense, I'll be right thanks

19. ball4life66

ball4life66 Member

He was cut because he couldn't keep his mouth shot not because of talent. He also got kicked off the Ga Tech team back in college but he's easily talented enough to make an impact in the NBA if he can keep his head on straight.

20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

The guy is talented and came from a silver spoon background but can't seem to put it all together. He had EVERY advantage and basically pissed it away. He was suspended from Georgia Tech a couple of times before they finally told him to go away and kicked him off of the team. He's bounced around a couple of different NBA teams but hasn't managed to stick. People talk about his body language and defense being bad, but I think he's just slow. His dad was slow. I'm not sure he is an inherently bad defender, but it does seem like something about him seems to rub people the wrong way. I don't know exactly what it is, but I think he has the potential to be a professional, although maybe not in the NBA. If he has matured, he might have a chance, but I have no idea if that will be the case or not. I think it comes down to how badly he wants it, and whether or not he as learned from his past mistakes. I think there are bigger knuckleheads in the NBA, so you never know, but I think he has some things he needs to overcome and some limitations that he needs to figure out how to better work around before he has much of a chance to stick around with the Rockets. He would be an offensive luxury at this point, but his overall game just doesn't translate well in my opinion.