1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

giving credit where credit is due

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tod the bod, Feb 7, 2002.

1. tod the bod

tod the bod Contributing Member

I hate Mobely as a player. I think that he is a ball hog and that he has awful shot selection.

But last night, his offensive game was a thing of beauty. His first step to the basket was so quick that he was just blowing by people his outside shots were falling and he was not taking dumb fallaway jumpers. Mobely last night brought the Rockets back into the game through sheer will.

It was an awesome night and a very enjoyable game to watch, only slightly diminished by the fact that the team played awful defense, didn't rebound well, and ultimately lost. (Ok, those are all bad things. Or maybe it isn't so bad that the team lost -- I would still like to see a top five draft pick).

So Mobely gets credit for a big night. Good game.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Maybe if he has another good game, you'll decide to spell his name correctly.

3. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

I called Mobley out must be about three or four weeks ago for playing well and then making bonehead plays. Since that road trip east, he has kept the negatives way down and has been absolutely lethal. He is a real gem.

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

lol...it's bad that he misspelled it once, but three times! The Bod must be a bigger Mobley hata than me.

5. JAG

JAG Member

Is his lightning quick 1st step back!?!? Does that mean his lower body health problems are behind him?

6. Toast

Toast Member

I hope so, 'cause I traded an arm and a leg to get him on my fantasy team! :D

Seriously, though. I bash Mobley just as much as the next guy, but Mobley really is a good fit for our team ... when he's healthy. I hope in a year or two, he won't mind playing 3rd fiddle, though.

7. haven

haven Member

You know, I'm not so sure about that. Even if one assumes taht Griffin's going to be the 2nd best player on our team, I don't think that means he'll be the 2nd option on offense. Seems to me that Griffin's game requires the ball less than Francis or Mobley. Griffin seems

A. an excellent rebounder
    B. a fabulous shot blocker
    C. a fairly good shooter for a PF

Notice there isn't a "post game" that I mention there. he doesn't have much of one. I noticed that at Seton Hall, he had a bit of a sky hook. For whatever reason, he hasn't used it much as a Rocket.

Griffin' may with time develop the bulk and skills necessary to become a featured member of our offense. But he may not. And if he doesn't, he can still be very valuable.

8. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Haven, I haven't noticed too many players whose weapon of choice from the 3-point line is the sky hook. :D

If he can catch and shoot the sky hook without putting the ball on the floor, I doubt he would get it blocked. He could develop an up and under off the sky hook fake. He's got the jumper and uses the glass very well. Still, though, I think he needs to come inside the 3 point line to get that going.