1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Given obvious voter suppression in Georgia, should the vote be considered void?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kemp clearly manipulated the vote in his favor, and given how close it is, seems to me Adams is right to call for a runoff and that the result should be considered invalid. Do others agree?

There should be a price for tampering with people's voter applications.

cheke64, DreamShook, JeffB and 2 others like this.
  2. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Florida is (and at least since the year 2000, has been) a mess, too...

We're not going to get federal oversight over national elections fast enough, in my opinion...

da_juice and JeffB like this.
  3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Thanks to the supreme court they backed off on some oversight,

Nook, JeffB and mdrowe00 like this.
  4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Being a GA resident, this is weighing heavy on me.

Not only are there the number of Kemp controversies regarding voting suppression, but announces an investigation into the Democratic Party for hacking just a couple of days before the election. He should have resigned once he won the primary. There could still be controversy, but at least it would have looked better.

Sure seems this is headed to the courts. Maybe we get a re-vote or maybe not.

JeffB and mdrowe00 like this.
  5. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

I'd like to think so...but just being vigilant about this type of thing might have to be enough for now.

I admit to a bit more personal animus towards anyone or anything defending or mitigating this voter suppression garbage.

My mother was not permitted to vote until she was aged well into her 40s. She ran into a lot of the same contempt and resistance then as now.

And we're supposed to be past all this. Post-racial, or whatever it is we're calling this now.

At the risk of upsetting anybody, I'm going to stay in my own Negro lane with this for a minute....

...There are a lot of Negroes I know who have voted for Republicans in varying degrees for a lot of years. Many of them have held the idea that (on average) if you can show white people what it is they want to see first, then you'll be able to show them what it is they're often missing.

That premise is flawed from its very inception, because it reckons without the basis of reality. That's the new normal, of course, but still...

There are any number of instances where a black person, doing everything in his or her power to conform to what a white person says is acceptable (in behavior, temperament, rhetoric, et al) is still subjected to the same contempt and disrespect as any other average muddied, criminal Negro. There have been black U.S. Representatives that have gotten onto the floor and spoken of the numerous amounts of occurrences where they were suspected of being criminals...or at the very least, illegitimate or out of place. And after their fifteen minutes of fame, they're told to go somewhere and sit down and remember that they're supposed to be thankful that they were let in there in the first place.

And I ask myself what the point was of sidling up close enough to people to whisper in their ear that there's a problem they may honestly, in some form or fashion, not be aware of...only to be soundly rebuked for the effort. I seriously wonder what they expected to happen.

I don't expect everyone (or even really, a majority of people) to agree on everything all of the time, especially not in this country. I'm hardly upset by black people having different views on any number of things, because the basic individual freedom promised in this country should produce that variety in perspective and thought.

But as I have to remind a lot of my Republican Negro friends often...there can be no state of mind before there is state of being.

What anybody's thoughts or opinions are on any given subject (no matter how extreme or asinine) does not supersede the right or ability to voice that opinion or thought. That idea can be shouted down or defeated if it is the will of the society, but to deny its existence or stifle its voice is an insult I won't (in one of my rarer moments of seriousness) abide at all.

How is any of this in Georgia in 2018 any different than in 1955, where Negroes were not allowed to cast a vote unless they could tell the poll administrators how many jelly beans were in a 5-gallon jar? Or what the names of the governors of all fifty states were? All of that and more was done under the pretense of "legality".

Who, exactly, is or isn't "post-racial" in this again? Who is it that needs to "...get over it..." and "...move on..." and "...forget about the past..." again?

I don't care about Kanye West-Khardasian's opinion on slavery, in and of itself, anymore than I care about Oprah Winfrey's opinion on slavery. They should both be subject to the same scrutiny, rebuke, and ridicule as any southern coal-miner with aspirations of a return to Confederate glory...and for the most part they are.

But I don't see anybody stopping those coal-mining Confederates (who routinely get made the punch-lines of jokes) from voting, either. Whether that's voting against their own economic best interests or not.

First things first, in my opinion.

You stop telling me to shut up...and maybe I might be inclined to say something different...

#5 mdrowe00, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Don't know what happened. I do know Georgia is a long way from a black female governor

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

When a black person is doing well, effecting change "you don't know what happened". But you want to make thread after dumb ass thread about how Black people are lost.

shut up, man. You're full of sh-t.

#7 DreamShook, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    da_juice, mdrowe00 and AleksandarN like this.
  8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

She didn't lose cause of this. I appreciate her efforts

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Considering she only lost by 60,000 votes (roughly 1.5%), they aren't that far away.

10. Nook

Nook Member

If it goes to the Supreme Court, you know what the outcome will be.

The term "Kavanaughed" is about to enter everyone's vocabulary.

da_juice and mdrowe00 like this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The issue is that we're not sure if she lost at all...

da_juice and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.