1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Giants release Sehorn

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by coma, Mar 7, 2003.

1. coma

coma Contributing Member

I hope no one thinks he could fit here with the Texans.

link

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Jason Sehorn was released by the New York Giants on Friday after the veteran cornerback refused to accept a pay cut of more than $3 million for next season.

With a $4.3 million salary scheduled this season and a $1 million roster bonus due on March 10, Sehorn's status had been in question since the 31-year-old lost his starting job to second-year pro Will Peterson last season.

Sehorn and the Giants had talks in recent weeks about reducing his salary this season to $1 million, but the Giants refused to guarantee that the nine-year veteran would not be cut before training camp.

Neither Sehorn nor his agent, Kyle Rote Jr., was immediately available for comment.

"Jason Sehorn had some magical moments with the Giants," general manager Ernie Accorsi said, "particularly during the 2000 postseason run to the Super Bowl. We wish him well."

Sehorn scored on a spectacular 32-yard interception return in a 2000 playoff game against the Eagles, a play in which he tipped the ball while diving, caught it and then got up and ran into the end zone. He also returned an onsides kick for a TD that season.

"The interception he made against Philly in the 2000 playoffs will always stand as one of the greatest individual athletic plays I have ever seen," coach Jim Fassel said. "All good things come to an end, and I wish Jason nothing but the best."

In making the move now, Sehorn will count $8 million against New York's salary cap this season, but he will be off the cap next year.

Sehorn had three years remaining on a six-year deal that included a $10 million signing bonus.

A former second round draft pick out of Southern California in 1994, Sehorn was transformed from an average safety into one of the league's top cover cornerbacks.

He had 11 interceptions combined in 1996 and '97, but his career turned when he suffered a serious knee injury in the preseason and missed the 1998 season.

Last season was the only other time he had played in every game, but he started only five games.

Sehorn led the Giants with 14 passes defensed, tied Peterson and Shaun Williams for the team lead with two interceptions (including a 31-yard touchdown at St. Louis) and had 42 solo tackles and 10 assists.

Sehorn's best season might have been 1997. He started all 16 games for the only time in his career. He had a career-high six interceptions, plus 86 total tackles and 20 passes defensed. He was twice named NFC Defensive Player of the Week and December's NFC Defensive Player of the Month as he helped lead the Giants to the NFC East championship.

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've never really liked Sehorn. Hopefully the Texans don't either.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sehorn Leghorn?

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

and i just heard on the radio that angie harmon was seen kissing drew brees in a club recently...bad week for jason.

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I agree...

That would be a total mistake...

He's overated and the only thing he has is a hot wife...

:D

6. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

what if the texans could get him for cheap?

7. drapg

drapg Member

On the cheap? Still don't want him. Maybe he could be a nickel corner somewhere in the league, but I've always thought he was one of the most overrated players in the NFL. Waste of money, in my opinion.

8. Summer Song Giver

Could he play safety?

9. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

Yes, and according to USA Today he talked to Giants coaches about moving to safety but they decided to cut all ties with him.

10. DuncanIdaho

DuncanIdaho Member

The time is now for Angie and I. Yes....

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I wouldnt mind taking him if Angie gave me a little sumpin sumpin.