1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Giannis on eventual free agency: "I can move on without the Bucks"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr. Space City, Mar 28, 2018.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Malakas, what would you think of a S&T of Jabari for Ryan Anderson?

I mean I wouldn't expect the Bucks to be in love with paying Ryno $20 million a year either, but they could desperately use more three point shooting right?

Along the same vein, the Rockets wouldn't want to pay Jabari Parker $20 million a year, but betting on upside and as basically a way to get some kind of value back for Ryno...

??

malakas likes this.
  2. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I think management is middle of the pack. Their coach is honestly someone who has been given a pass, an upgrade here and you likely would have seen a lot more from these guys. I don't think they are incompetent, its just they are constantly wavering between potentially getting an instant rebuild with high profile guys keeping them in the discussion. If they were Philly and knew no one was coming for 4-5 years, they could have focused completely on rebuilding and not throwing away #2 overall picks to clear cap space.

3. malakas

malakas Member

They are prepared to let JP go for nothing. (which is better than getting back Rhyno).
    Even with the general public with the b****y diva way JP acted last POs the opinion on him has soured considerably.
    But I think a trade of Delly (9.6 for 2 more years) for Rhyno + 1 rnd pick makes more sense.

In the end I think what will happen is either JP is signed for 12-13 tops or he is let go for nothing. Tbh I don't believe he can find anywhere else to pay him more.
    And for the Rockets I would be very scared to pay JP at 20 mil. Who knows if next season he blows his ACL again.

4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

The Bucks are going nowhere.

They struck out in the most important part of a rebuild -- getting multiple lottery picks right. Bucks could have easily had Giannis and Embiid in the same front court, but instead they are stuck with the oft-injured and inconsistent Parker and a project in Thon Maker.

That's batting 1 for 3. Landing one superstar and nothing more is not good enough for a small market team unable to attract star free agents. Now, the Bucks are going to be stuck in perpetual mediocrity -- good enough to make the playoffs with Giannis, but not enough to compete with the Celtics and Sixers.

This is why you have to absolutely nail lottery picks if you're a small market team in order to have any chance of competing in this league.

da_juice and rockbox like this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He'll go to the Warriors

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

I have a feeling Cuban will go all in on Giannis...Brooklyn will probably be on his ass too.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Of course he will leave, everyone knows it. The only way he stays is if they are title contenders and they are not. Dallas supposedly thinks they have a great shot at him as a FA.

Vivi likes this.
  9. Juxtaposed Jolt

Honestly wouldn't be surprised. Giannis' contract ends in 3 years; by that time, Doncic should be a superstar, assuming everything pans out. And Smith Jr. should also be pretty good, as well as whoever they get from upcoming drafts / FA signings.

Vivi likes this.
  10. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

They can offer him a supermax deal and no else can. Would he really turn that down, not many players have signed one, just to be in the club would be hard to turn down.

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think he would, just like other player did.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Meanwhile, Tillman sits on his hands.

BigShasta likes this.
  13. Vivi

Vivi Member

He's too busy in trying to decrease the drop...of his wallet :D

14. malakas

malakas Member

He will leave for sure. But he won't go to a big market just for the shake of the market. Only to a team with real championship aspirations.
    Cuban obviously is preparing. That's why he drafted his brother. But it will be worth nothing if he can't offer him the chance of immediate success.
    I don't think he will be prejudged like others against teams like Toronto, Clippers etc
    Octagon his agency is doing a phenomenal job in promoting him. In comparison to Anthony Davis who has been a better player for a while now, he is the one who got the nba2k cover, the signature Nike shoe, the primetime tv interview etc So they won't let him rot in Milwaukee with troubling ownership and no chance of success.
    But the problem with him is that he is not really friends with any other star player except Porzingis a bit. He doesn't talk with them or trains together in the summers and he doesn't go clubbing.

So it will be interesting to see how he teams up with another star. It's not likely that he will arrange for it himself so a GM will have to either have one in place already or be able to attract himself another. The team who gets him will have to have a very competent GM.
    I think he ends up in Toronto or maybe even to the Rockets.
    We are talking about 3 years in the future.

Vivi, da_juice, BigShasta and 2 others like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/12/giannis-not-looking-to-join-forces-with-other-stars.html

While small-market NBA teams constantly have to worry about the possibility of their best players leaving town to team up with other stars in a bigger market, the Bucks may not need to be overly concerned about that scenario playing out for Giannis Antetokounmpo, Howard Beck of Bleacher Report writes in an in-depth figure on the Milwaukee forward.

As Beck outlines, Antetokounmpo didn’t grow up playing on the AAU circuit and isn’t part of the Team USA program, so he’s less accustomed to the superstar model of team-building than many of his American contemporaries. One rival executive suggests to Beck that it could give the Bucks a big advantage down the road that Giannis “is not around All-Stars all summer.”

Antetokounmpo has also shown little interest in working out with fellow star players, according to Beck, who suggests that Giannis has turned down those invitations and “sees no point in sharing anything with his rivals.” Jason Terry, Antetokounmpo’s teammate for two seasons in Milwaukee, tells Beck that he could “never in a million years” imagine the All-NBA forward seeking out a super-team and joining forces with other stars.

“Giannis, his DNA, his makeup is, he has the ability to carry a team to the championship level himself,” Terry says. “I think he’s still enjoying the challenge of trying to take on the world’s best, like LeBron [James], head to head. Trying to take on guys like [Kevin Durant] head-to-head. And he’s really enjoying that matchup and embracing it. I mean, he wants to be the best player in the NBA. I’ve heard him say that on multiple occasions.”

Antetokounmpo reiterated that sentiment to Beck, telling him that his goal is to become “one of the best players to ever play the game.” Giannis also stressed that his number one goal is winning and contending for championships, something he believes the Bucks are capable of even without going out and acquiring another star.

“You don’t have to have a lot of [stars],” Antetokounmpo told Beck. “I definitely think that, because I think we have great pieces in this team, and every guy in this team knows what his role is and is having fun and is enjoying his role. And that comes from the coach. You know, if the coach gives you confidence, gives you the green light and tells you what your role is and you accept it as a player, and you’re happy with it, that’s big for every team. I don’t think anybody on this team wants to do more, wants to do less.”

Vivi likes this.
  16. blackistan

blackistan Member

We need another piece...CP washed up