1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Getting a new Texas identification card or driver's license

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Sep 1, 2019.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I personally am not bothered by a requirement of identification at polls.

The issue is more about getting an identification. I let my license be expired for some years. I had to have proof of residence. Im like what is the purpose. It makes no sense. My birth certificate proves i was born.

Just another useless that serves no purpose but making the process a little harder

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

No vote, no problem...

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The problem is that when you try to vote once for someone who is no longer a member of your party, the system doesn't even tell you why you should still have the right to vote on that person. It won't tell you what the rules are that apply. So, if an immigrant from China was born in the U.S. and, after he has entered the country as an adult, decides that he wants to vote for his child's political party, the government is not going to tell anyone why or why not, and thus what the rule to vote for that party is.

Another way to look at it is that the people are voting for some person, but they don't know why--they just know they want the person. And therefore, the government is not required to tell the people what they are voting for, because they don't know.

Here is another example: You go out to vote for someone, maybe a police officer from New York City, and there's a woman in a bright red coat and blue wig that says, 'Hey, I remember you'.

FranchiseBlade, Rashmon and CometsWin like this.
  4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

My thoughts exactly.

KingCheetah likes this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You don’t think the state of Texas should require you to prove you live in Texas in order to get an ID that will identify you as a Texas resident? Or did I misunderstand your complaint?

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Do you realize that everything you said after the first line of your post completely negated the first line of your post?

Andre0087 likes this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Has this always been a requirement? Why would i get a Texas i.d. if i don't live here?

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

No i don't understand. You need an i.d. everywhere

9. bobrek

Regardless of where one lives, if they get a driver's license or state ID they need proof of residency in order to get it. If I live in Texas or Arkansas or Oklahoma or wherever I cannot get a state ID or DL from a different state.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Whats the logic? Dont care about who's doing it, that doesn't tell me the logic.

I dont remember it being a requirement

11. bobrek

Well..you need to have an established residency for tax purposes, voting purposes, public schools and a number of other reasons.

12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

You've gotta be trolling. Come on man, don't make it so obvious.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Give you an example, show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate of shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, "plate," or "shrimp," or "plate of shrimp" out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconsciousness.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Why would i gwt an i.d. in a state i didn't live in. For fraud? Im seriously asking

Other than that i dont troll. I got mo life than to be trolling a message board

15. bobrek

You originally asked about showing proof of residence for getting an ID. That question has been answered as to some reasons one needs proof of residence in order to get a state issued ID. What kind of ID are you asking about?

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I haven't seen an answer. Maybe im out the loop cause i always had a license but its juat a hassle

Some homeless people would be hindered by this

17. bobrek

Driver licenses (DL) and identification cards (ID) issued by the DPS Driver License Division are a key link to public safety, privacy, and national security. Many medical and financial institutions, retailers, governmental entities, and other various organizations accept a state issued DL and ID for purposes of confirming your identity so you have access to the services you need.

To reduce your exposure to identity theft and fraud, ensuring the validity of the information and documentation you provide for the issuance of your DL or ID is a very important part of the application process. With this in mind, DPS utilizes a nationally recognized DL and ID issuance process, which involves verifying your identity, residency, and US Citizenship or lawful presence (the legal authorization to reside in this country.)

18. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow: I couldn’t have written it better.

FranchiseBlade and KingCheetah like this.
  19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Nice

Here is the real story. Republicans put this in place in 2011 to make it difficult

https://www.texastribune.org/2011/07/07/lege-requires-proof-of-legal-status-for-state-ids

#19 pgabriel, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  20. bobrek