1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gerrymandering gone wrong

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Major, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Major

Major Member

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/...y-forgot-one-college-student?detail=facebook#

Business owners try to remove all voters from business district, but they forgot one college student

Normally gerrymandering in a medium-sized town that doesn't even pertain to city council elections would be too down-in-the-weeds, but this story from the Columbia Tribune is too funny to ignore. Self-interested business owners successfully petitioned the Columbia, Missouri, city council to create a local Community Improvement District, which would have the authority to impose a half-cent sales tax increase with voter approval. However, the district lines were drawn in a manner that attempted to avoid containing any eligible voters, meaning that property-owners themselves would get to decide on the sales tax increase as a way to avoid further property taxes to pay for improvements.

Unfortunately for them, things didn't exactly go according to plan. It soon became known that a single voter, University of Missouri student Jen Henderson, was registered to vote in the new CID. That means that she alone will get to decide whether or not to approve the sales tax increase. The CID has already gone into debt to finance planned improvements and was counting on the increased revenue from the sales tax increase.

Predictably, Henderson is not pleased with how manipulative this process has been. She was even asked to de-register so that the vote would revert to property owners. While Henderson hasn't publicly stated which way she plans to vote, she sounded skeptical of the proposed sales tax increase and rightfully pointed out how it is regressive in nature while the benefits accrue mainly to incumbent businesses.

In a delicious twist of irony, if Henderson votes against the sales tax increase or the vote is called off entirely, the only way for the CID to pay off its debts will be to levy further taxes on property, which is exactly what these businesses were trying to avoid. Most of the time gerrymandering is successful and unfair, but instances like this show it can sometimes backfire spectacularly.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I keep waiting for it to backfire in Texas. Still waiting. Funny story, Major.

3. g1184

g1184 Member

Hah! Their dangerously cheesy plan went poof.

The practical implications for shoppers probably stay the same though. Sales taxes go up, consumer cost goes up. Property taxes go up, prices go up, consumer cost goes up.

Good on the student for making them sweat.

4. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

...and they would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for that meddling kid.

2 people like this.
  5. CCorn

CCorn Member

They should offer her a board position in the CID. Would look great on her resume.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Very cool story. Sounds like it could make for a TV show...

Young college student feels lost and without purpose. Who is she, really? Suddenly! - she's thrust in the middle of a local political issue. What will she do?

You could at least get one season out of that premise.

In the second season she could, as CCorn suggested, get offered a seat on the board.

Fast forward a few more seasons, she's the next Frank Underwood - but on the local scene. But really, deep down, is that who she is? Oh, no! - we now realize that although she's seemingly come so far, she's still trying to find out who she is. (Aren't we all, though?)

Just throw in the usual other storylines: various love interests (of both genders), daddy issues, a temporary alcohol/drug problem, etc.

And that, ladies and gents, is a hit TV show.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Would not watch.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I would make it known that I am completely open to being bribed.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Me neither. But make her hot, young and white, and air it on The CW. You'll get several seasons out of it.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

It would be a high price, a very high price in this instance, but I have to admit I have a price...

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You just posted the first thing that came to mind when I read Major's find, but I kept that to myself. :-D-

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It'd be pretty easy to rationalize it all away for the right price.

Then again, she's a uni student with aspirations and dreams...and who landed the right incentive to get someone that young to vote.