1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gerrit Cole - Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cwebbster, May 23, 2017.

?

Is he worth it?

1. Yay

45 vote(s)
    86.5%
  2. Nay

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I'm pretty sure that Hand pitches for the Padres. Believe he used to pitch for Miami though.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I should have been more clear. I was referring to the Padres and Marlins from jim's post that Apollo replied.

texans1095 likes this.
  3. raining threes

Yes it would be.

Gotta give up something good to get an ACE though.

BTW, Sonny Gray is dealing today. 3-1 A's bottom of 7th.

4. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Normally I'm against trading young guys for a player that has already proven themselves for another team. They usually either don't live up to expectations or they play very well and then leave... but in Cole's case, he has been very consistent, he's 26 years old, and he is still under team control for 2 more years after this one.

I think it is a gamble worth taking.

And honestly, if it were a one year rental then I would understand not wanting to give up some of those young guys, but having at least two more years after this one? I'm not too worried about what they would give up.

5. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Would Tucker, Martes, and Alcala get you one of Cole/Archer? That's a pretty darn good package of prospects.

6. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Seems more than reasonable to start the conversation. There are few player who would require 2 top 20 prospects in return.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

if they're trying to move those pitchers, then yes, I'd say 100% that gets the job done. If they're closer to "eh, we'll trade them if the price is right, otherwise hold until next year"--then perhaps not.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Cole will be an extremely tough get given team control and age.

The Pirates can wait back for a blow their doors off type of deal, which makes it very hard to negotiate. There's just no pressure to move him

BigM likes this.
  9. xcrunner51

If they're waiting for more than a package starting with two top 20 prospects then they're dreaming.

Honestly a deal should look more like

Pick 1: Tucker, Martes
    Pick 1: Paulino, Fisher, Perez, Whitley
    Pick 1: sub top 10: Cameron, Laureano, Stubbs, Rogers, Alcala, etc....

If they ended up with Tucker, perez and Cameron that'd be a damn strong package.

Yaosthirdleg and kaleidosky like this.
  10. xcrunner51

Nothing ground breaking but Peter Gammons put up an article on Baseball America on the Pirates trading Cole.

Link.

He mentions that the Astros and Yankees farm systems are the ones to target.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Would be surprised if thats enough. Pirates will be dealing with the Yankees who have 4 of the top 50 prospects in the game. Houstons going to have to offer both Martes and Tucker to get it done. If they're able to get Cole or Archer without giving up both Tucker and Martes then I call that a huge win.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  12. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Yankees drafted Cole in the first round when he was coming out of HS but he didn't sign. He definitely seems like someone they'd go after hard.

13. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Cole's peripherals look just okay so far. He has a 4.39 FIP and 3.85 xFIP. And he's only striking out 7.43 per 9.

Archer has a 2.79 FIP and a 3.32 xFIP while striking out 10.95 per 9.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Clutchfan threads have an inverse correlation with future performance lately.
    Quintana has been more off than on this season. Cole has had two piss poor starts since this thread. Springer has been great at setting table lately. Giles is nails.

#34 Joe Joe, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
    cwebbster likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Don't forget Sale's 2 starts since what's thread. We should really focus on using our powers for good, I'm looking at you, Beltran/Yuli/Aoki/Musgrove/Fiers.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Dammit! I had forgotten his thread. Now that you reminded me, Sale is not pitching right-handed since that thread was started.

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Beltran since his name came up in the Springer thread on Fri:

3 gms, .500/.571/1.083
    6-12, 1 2B, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 5 R, 2 BB, 0 K

18. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Archer is far and away my #1 choice, but I can't imagine any reason the Rays would trade him. I remember watching the Stros v Rays series and thinking, this is one of the better 2 or 3 teams we have faced this year. That team is good...I predict they hang around the top of the East all year and don't trade any of their established players.

craigharmann likes this.
  19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Advanced stats have Tampa Bay even better than its W-L record and run differential. They are a long way from being sellers, so I would perish the though of Archer being available.

Can we trade Martes for Quintana straight up yet? Would any Astros fans still make that deal? 5.60 ERA now.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Blue Jays responded with a great May to get back in contention as well not only making it less likely that they are sellers, but also adding them as likely aggressive buyers if they have anything in minors.