1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gerald Wallace Opting Out

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BigMaloe, Jun 14, 2012.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

2. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Oh, New Jersey...

3. BigMaloe

im curious as to why he would opt out all that money... i dont think he fetches that much on the free market...(similiar to jameer nelson) maybe he wants to join a contender... lakers maybe?

4. cod

cod Member

Players in his situation are always going to opt out for more guaranteed money. The Nets could actually benefit from this, ie sign him for less /yr.

5. da_juice

da_juice Member

I don't blame him for opting out. No sense in staying on that team when there's no gurantees.

He probably goes to LA to play the Lamar Odom role.

6. BigMaloe

i havent seen the specifics of his contract, but he was due 9.5mill right?

why turn down that cash to probably get considerably less...

i understand wanting a multi-year contract and the security that comes with that... i can relate with that...

whats the market for him salary-wise??? 5/6mill??

i think it helps the nets because it opens up even more cap space to bring in talent to surround d.will... but you essentially gave up the #6pick in this draft for an expiring contract that didnt help you do anything season was because the season was awash...

seems like a doubl bad trade now...

7. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

He might not make as much next year, but with much of an injury risk he is it's smarter for him to pursue a 3-4 year deal.

8. arjun

arjun Member

dwight
    patterson
    wallace
    lee
    williams

i think i may need a tissue to clean up the mess i just made ;)

9. cod

cod Member

Richard Jefferson opted out of his final year that had 15.2M left. He re-signed with the Spurs for 39M/4yr. It's the overall guaranteed money that matters.

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I'd have to say so ... because no one is giving him that $10-$12 MM under the new rules. I can barely see $7-$9MM.

Teams that could use Gerald Wallace (many):

San Antonio, Los Angeles (Lakers), Atlanta, Portland (if they decide not to match Batum), Boston, Charlotte (if they don't find small forward in the draft), and Golden State (they get to keep their #7 pick).

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

A reunion in Charlotte might be cool, but I doubt it. SJax and him on the Spurs would be deadly.

I think he'd be good on the Clippers too. They could move Butler to the 2, and have Nick Young off the bench.

12. BigMaloe

which i understand... but i had a discussion with a couple people (bima,jopat,jtr,hsf09 i think this is who) who thought jameer nelson wouldnt opt out or was getting paid under the table to opt out...

my thing is in hindsight, its such a horrible trade by new jersey... they lost the #6 pick for an expiring contract... i

13. da_juice

da_juice Member

Did they really think Gerald Wallace would be enough to keep Williams? That he would stay because they brought in Gerald Wallace? Cause that's the only reasoning I can think of as to why they'd bring him in.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

In the words of Lou Williams :p

Quick note. Opting out doesn't necessarily mean you're leaving. It's getting out of one contract to begin a new one.
    — Lou Williams (@TeamLou23) June 11, 2012
    And yes, I still think Jameer Nelson is opting out.
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. BigMaloe

which is what i thought of as well, to prove they are trying to win now... but if hes up and leaving and brook lopez is a free agent, Why th fuuck would d.will return...

they could easily lose their three best players this season as well as this years draft pick and be stuck rebuilding with no one of substance on the roster...

if all three leave (d.will,lopez,g.wall ) than i forsee brooklyn having a season worst than charlottes of this year...

16. BigMaloe

hey you changed your name... i wouldnt have noticed if you didnt say anything...

while he might not be leaving, why would he stay? that team is in shambles and the only thing they got going for them is moving to brooklyn...

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

I don't think he does [return]. Where he goes or who has the money to pay him, I have no idea. I'd say 60/40--60% chance he goes, 40% he returns.

18. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

Wallace is like Andre Miller a few years back. Contenders like him but he's too expensive. And the team's not good enough to make any noise in playoff if he's the 2nd best player in the team.

I think he ends up in some lottery team who tries to make playoff.

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Just curious, but in reference to the other poster's comment, what was your old moniker?

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yeah, I saw the name and I was like "who's that guy and how is his bar so big if he never posts?"