1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gerald Green's Loyalty &Improvements Could Make Him Way More Valuable in 2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Aug 4, 2019.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/27/gerald-green-believes-hes-been-slept-on-in-his-career/

Gerald Green is heading into his 13th NBA season, and as the 33-year-old rests in the offseason, he’s grateful for the Houston Rockets providing him opportunities during his career.

Green recently spoke with The Athletic’s Kelly Iko, and he said he thinks he’s been “slept on” throughout his career. But with Green re-signing with the Rockets this summer, he appreciates how they’ve been the only team to give him a chance.

“The Rockets are the only ones that really banked on me,” Green said in his conversation with Iko. “That’s why I feel like I’m so fortunate and so grateful for this organization and this city. Everybody keeps sleeping on me, man, but the Rockets don’t.”

Green grew up in Houston, and he has played a good deal of his career with the Rockets and Boston Celtics. He was drafted by the Celtics in 2005, playing his first two seasons in the league with Boston. He also played there in the 2016-17 season.

Green is heading into his third season with Houston, and he also played one game there in the 2007-08 season; he was released by the team in March 2008. With the Rockets having championship aspirations, Green can surely have an important role coming off the bench.

He’s been a quality shooter, boasting a career 36.1 three-point percentage. Last season he shot 35.4% from the three-point line, averaging 9.2 points a game.

As Green works to improve this summer, he told Iko that he wants to become a better rebounder and also play better on defense. Last season Green averaged 2.5 rebounds a game, and he had a 109.3 defensive rating, according to NBA.com.

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

We've known that we needed improvement at the wing, but if Greenlight dedicates himself to playing better defense and rebounding better, he may stay on the court a bit more. If he rebounds better and improves his defense, we may not *need a wing. We'll have what we need on the roster.

Anyone know what you do to improve rebounding as far as drills go? How does he go about making these changes/improvements in your opinion?

Well thought out answers get likes. Big bum gets nothing.

3. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He simply doesn't have the mind for good defense. His mistakes are mostly mistakes of awareness, and poor decisions. He isn't improving that at this point.

His effort isn't an issue, he plays hard on both ends. I love Green for what he is, a decent regular season rotation player and postseason depth in case of injuries. I also love his attitude and the fact that he's thrilled to be a Rocket and do whatever is asked of him.

But he is what he is. Considering he basically plays for free, and doesn't demand minutes, I'm happy to have him even knowing his shortcomings

robgue, Riz, Mr. Dominant and 12 others like this.
  5. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

My biggest doubt with him is his shot selection. He would be a 40% 3 point shooter if he took out the bad ones. Also, you would think an ex dunk champion wouldn't be afraid to drive and finish, but he is. I can't think of a dunk champ who is worse at finishing in traffic in the history of. the league. Maybe Brent Barry.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Dude saved our 2018 season. We couldn’t space the floor and run an efficient offense until Morey signed him off his couch in Boston. I don’t honk Boston beats Chicago in the postseason if they didn’t insert Green into the starting lineup (the postseason that Isiiah Thomas sister died in The car accident). As frustrating as he is, he definitely affects the product on the court in a positive way when he’s playing within the system and playing smart. He just loses focus and awareness too often.

burlesk, CCity Zero, Ramo$e and 3 others like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Gerald Green is PURE and I hope he retires a Rocket.

[​IMG]

burlesk, robgue, Relativist and 18 others like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Team US should have contacted him.

Ramo$e and hakeem94 like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think he made some good shots against Utah in the 1st round. Agree with the rest.

He is 33, will be turning 34 amidst the season, and not getting any younger but luv his energy.

At this point, the rest of the NBA is not sleeping on him, he has to understand that guys like Carmelo are marginal NBA players now.

This is tough lyfe, enjoy it with the Rox as long as he can.

#9 daywalker02, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  10. magichat281

magichat281 Member

He needs play like his cousin Danny green.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

MDA needs to know when to pull him and when to keep him on the floor. At times it's as if MDA throws him out there, hoping Green would catch fire, he doesn't, but still leaves him in there. IMO Green's "effectiveness" (e.g. his offense) looks better when he isn't allowed a stale green light.

saleem and pippendagimp like this.
  12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

He (like everyone on that team not named PJ Tucker) needs to work on BOXING OUT. There are plenty of simple drills to practice boxing out your man.

subtomic, saleem, CCity Zero and 6 others like this.
  13. Denovo

Denovo Member

He would be a much better player if his shot selection was better. Most of his shot attempts are heat checks. I’d love to see him attack the basket more or attempt more pump fake-one dribble-reset 3s. Become more of a sharpshooter instead of a chucker.

saleem and Ketchup&Mustard like this.
  14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I’m very happy to have GG on this team.

Best case scenario would be similar to how Danny Green was for the Raptors last year. Obviously, only issue is that Danny Green did have some terrible games last year in the playoffs for the Raps but it didn’t matter because they had other role players step up that I’m not sure our roster can match.

I do believe Harden, Westbrook, Capela and EG are better than say their Kawhi, Lowry, Siakam and Fred. But then they also had Ibaka and Gasol and Danny Green which I think is what I’d take in the playoffs over a PJ, House and GG. Norm Powell had some big games too. Obviously it’s not a direct comparison, but we’re not that far off from boasting a roster that outranks last years champs. Being in the East helps them a lot, but we just need that one player with length in the front court, and a good job by MDA of coaching this roster.

Denver getting Jerian Grant kills me. Though, he’s not exactly a veteran with deep playoff experience so maybe wishful thinking but hopefully we’re able to land someone that brings what a guy like Ibaka did for the raps without disrupting our roster much.

It’s a lot harder to add someone like that with the build of our roster than most think.

backwardhead and pippendagimp like this.
  15. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

He is what he is.. I don’t really expect much improvement.

16. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I don’t think he quite has the frame to box out. I think it must come from timing and more awareness. In this way, could he learn to snatch rebounds the way that Westbrook does? I think that he has the athleticism to rebound in that way. I’m not sure what his wingspan is but he has always had the height to be an effective defender against wings. He may struggle in situations where bigger players play bully ball against him, but he can make it hard for those smallish wings, such as players like Bradley Beal, to just shoot over him. We’ll have to see, but I think that his awareness is where he stands to improve the most in terms of both rebounding and defense. I really do like the guy and felt that he could have been highly coveted throughout his career if he just had more awareness.

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm thinking Gerald got that I-45 tattoo to remind him that you're never finished improving, that there's always something to work on and new parts of your game that need to be constructed. Just when you think you're finally done, another area of needed improvement becomes evident and you have to get right back to work.

#17 topfive, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  18. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I agree, but I can see Green getting squeezed out of the rotation this year.

19. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Rebounding is just effort. Even when you think, “I’m at the 3 point line I don’t need to box out” you box em until they’re so frustrated they start fouling you or conceding the board. That’s a dirty work Joe Derp specialty. That hustle become s contagious too, you and the squad let em know about that effort and 95% of other teams will just concede the rebound. Sometimes it’s just knowing the role you play and where you need to give it all.

Gerald’s role has been microwave and being a bit of energy/team chemistry guy. Simple things like extra hustle for boards, wonderful imo. Being so lanky and springy, I’ve always wondered why he isn’t shooting passing lanes more effectively. Trevor Ariza mastered the skill with like negative athleticism by comparison. But sure enough he was getting an open dunk off a steal every game. Green adds that skill and he’s MUCH easier to live with on defense.

beard4life and don grahamleone like this.
  20. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Have we already forgotten game 6 against the Warriors?

The one in which The Rockets had a 7-point lead early in the 4th quarter until Gerald Green decided to jack up one ill-advised shot after another until the lead evaporated in an instant and the rest was history?

Low basketball IQ is not something worth celebrating.

hakeem94 and cheke64 like this.