1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

George Karl blasts melo

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rox11, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Rox11

Rox11 Member

https://www.google.com/amp/syndicat...ng-book-furious-george.amp.html?client=safari

Former Denver Nuggets head coach George Karl took several shots against former Nuggets and current New York Knicks star Carmelo Anthony, calling him a "conundrum" and blasting his lack of defensive effort in his forthcoming book, Furious George, according to Marc Berman of the New York Post.

Karl criticized Anthony on several levels in one excerpt:

Carmelo was a true conundrum for me in the six years I had him. He was the best offensive player I ever coached. He was also a user of people, addicted to the spotlight and very unhappy when he had to share it.

He really lit my fuse with his low demand of himself on defense. He had no commitment to the hard, dirty work of stopping the other guy. My ideal — probably every coach's ideal — is when your best player is also your leader. But since Carmelo only played hard on one side of the ball, he made it plain he couldn't lead the Nuggets, even though he said he wanted to. Coaching him meant working around his defense and compensating for his attitude.

Goes onto

Karl doubled down on Anthony's lack of defense.

"I want as much effort on defense — maybe more — as on offense," Karl wrote. "That was never going to happen with Melo, whose amazing ability to score with the ball made him a star but didn't make him a winner. Which I pointed out to him. Which he didn't like."

When Anthony and Chauncey Billups were traded to the Knicks for Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Timofey Mozgov and draft picks in 2011, it was "a sweet release for the coach and the team, like popping a blister."

He also called the trio of Anthony, J.R. Smith and Kenyon Martin "AAU babies," noting they were like "the spoiled brats you see in junior golf and junior tennis."

He wrote of Anthony and Martin: "Kenyon and Carmelo carried two big burdens: all that money and no father to show them how to act like a man."

Smith, meanwhile, had "a huge sense of entitlement, a distracting posse, his eye always on the next contract and some really unbelievable shot selection." (Recently, Phil Jackson was criticized for describing LeBron James' advisers and business partners as a "posse" in an interview with ESPN's Jackie MacMullan.)

Melo really is a bum

2. SunsRocketsfan

basically confirmed what everyone thought and knew already.

3. 713

713 Member

So when should we expect McHale to blast Harden in his next book for lack of defense? Sounds like Karl needs to sell his book. Melo lack of defense wasn't the problem in Denver. Pairing him with a washed up Iverson and Billiups were. Although Melo will never win a ship because he wanted to get paid.

4. mrm32

mrm32 Member

They made it to the WCF in 2009 with a "washed up Billups" and were the 2nd seed that year. That pairing was not the reason they failed. They clearly just ran into a better Lakers team.

apollo33 and Ramo$e like this.
  5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

He sounds like a bitter old man

6. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Didn't Melo's dad pass away when he was a toddler? If thats true, I have lost all respect for George Karl as a man.

amaru, apollo33 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Other than this disgraceful line from Karl:

"Kenyon and Carmelo carried two big burdens: all that money and no father to show them how to act like a man."

Everything else he said was absolutely true. There is no reason a person who wants to win it all would re-sign in New York. The guy cares about money and attention more than the average NBA player, and that's a lot. He's pissed away his talent, disregarded his physical fitness, not improved his decision making in a decade and is slowly becoming a liability because he won't play well enough to be the main guy, and does not like to not be the main guy.

The guy cares more about his lifestyle being luxurious and family being happy. Not the worst thing in the world in the grand scheme of things. But just purely from a competition perspective, unfortunately is not passionate enough about this amazing craft.

I am a Donut likes this.
  8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Melo's lack of giving a **** about anybody but himself is what will cause him to never win a championship. The difference between him and Kobe is that at least Kobe gave maximum effort on both ends of the floor, and understood what it takes to win.

roslolian likes this.
  9. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Didn't they make it to the conference finals against Kobe, Pau, and company? It wasn't all bad.

10. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

They did in a couple years what the clippers' franchise has not done in an eternity. WCF.

Still, the only way I would sign melo here is with a low contract high incentive structure where he includes in his contract that he is our 6th man and that if he complains about playing time, he loses all incentives.

He would be an excellent bench leader.

Ramo$e likes this.
  11. mig0s

mig0s Member

melo would never come off the bench lol even if he was like 40 years old

12. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

I don't feel for Melo at all. You can see how comfortable he is with losing

D-rock, roslolian and Ramo$e like this.
  13. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Harden did...and hes probably the better player for it. He can lead the team knowing, as a starter now, he has been where the rookies, bench players have been. You dont think Harden wanted to start in OkC?

Maybe Melo's sense of entitlement is whats holding him back, maybe George Karl didnt know how to word it properly. For some people $$ is more important than winning....

But you are right, i dont think he would either.

14. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

How can you possibly justify in your mind that Anthony's defense wasn't the problem, when the Nuggets always had one of the best offenses in the league when Anthony was playing there?

The mental gymnastics people go through to justify their own opinion is honestly incredible. It's as if your entire house burned down, the fire department told you it was because of vandals committing arson, and then you in turn questioning why matches are legal.

roslolian likes this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

National Champion, Olympic Gold... yes, everything was Melo's fault in Denver.

16. gambingo

gambingo Member

Low of Carl, but it was fun watching the Nuggets vs the Lakers in the playoffs lol. The Nuggets was filled with talent, but most people will remember them bc of knuckleheads like Melo, Kenyon, and Jr. Melo was so frustrated at one point that he choked Sasha lmao; it's funny now that they're teammates.Billups and Camby were probably the true leaders that kept that team together for that long lol.

Ramo$e likes this.
  17. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

18. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Hmm you sound like an attention w**** who is crying for her attention.... Did you not see me comment in your thread I didn't notice yours? Mods job to merge them.

19. amaru

amaru Member

Melo's father died of cancer when he was 2. Disgraceful comment by Karl. Making a lot of assumptions about a man you obviously didn't know.

20. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Yea Melos dad died when was 2 to cancer