1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Genius Athletes-- Some Funny Stuff

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by giddyup, Jan 4, 2011.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

1. Chicago Cubs outfielder Andre Dawson on being a role model: "I wan' all dem kids to do what I do, to look up to me. I wan' all the kids to copulate me."

2. New Orleans Saint RB George Rogers when asked about the upcoming season: "I want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first."

3. And, upon hearing Joe Jacobi of the 'Skin's say: "I'd run over my own mother to win the Super Bowl," Matt Millen of the Raiders said: "To win, I'd run over Joe's Mom, too."

4. Torrin Polk, University of Houston receiver, on his coach, John Jenkins: "He treats us like men. He lets us wear earrings.."

5. Football commentator and former player Joe Theismann: "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

6. Senior basketball player at the University of Pittsburgh : "I'm going to graduate on time, no matter how long it takes." (Now that is beautiful)

7. Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach: "You guys line up alphabetically by height..." And, "You guys pair up in groups of three, and then line up in a circle."

8. Boxing promoter Dan Duva on Mike Tyson going to prison: "Why would anyone expect him to come out smarter? He went to prison for three years, not Princeton."

9. Stu Grimson, Chicago Blackhawks left wing, explaining why he keeps a color photo of himself above his locker: "That's so when I forget how to spell my name, I can still find my clothes."

10. Lou Duva, veteran boxing trainer, on the Spartan training regimen of heavyweight Andrew Golota: "He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning, regardless of what time it is."

11. Chuck Nevitt, North Carolina State basketball player, explaining to Coach Jim Valvano why he appeared nervous at practice: "My sister's expecting a baby, and I don't know if I'm going to be an uncle or an aunt." (I wonder if his IQ ever hit room temperature in January)

12. Frank Layden, Utah Jazz president, on a former player: "I asked him, 'Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, 'Coach, I don't know and I don't care.'"

13. Shelby Metcalf, basketball coach at Texas A&M, recounting what he told a player who received four Fs and one D: "Son, looks to me like you're spending too much time on one subject."

14. In the words of NC State great Charles Shackelford: "I can go to my left or right, I am amphibious."

15. Amarillo High School and Oiler coach Bum Phillips when asked by Bob Costas why he takes his wife on all the road trips, Phillips responded: "Because she is too ugly to kiss good-bye."

1 person likes this.
  2. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

3. Apps

Apps Member

Number 8 was funny but also grimly true, and number 12 was absolutely genius!

4. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Shelby Metcalf, basketball coach at Texas A&M, recounting what he told a player who received four Fs and one D: "Son, looks to me like you're spending too much time on one subject."

my favorite by far

5. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Number 12. Lmao.

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

A local basketball coach in Tucson was once asked about how he felt about the statistic that approximately 50% of high schools students don't read for pleasure. His response "I don't read either, so make that 51%".

8. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Hilarious...would rep if I could.

...my favorite:

"I asked him, 'Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, 'Coach, I don't know and I don't care."

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

"We might make a lot of money but, we also spend a lot of money."

Patrick Ewing

10. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

11. Asian Sensation

Number 4. Oh the irony. LOL

12. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Man, I can't believe the magical words of David Beckham aren't on here.
    Disclaimer: I'm a huge Becks fan and have been since day one but man he has never been the sharpest tool in the shed.

David Beckham----My parents have been there for me, ever since I was about 7.

Alex Ferguson is the best manager I've ever had at this level. Well, he's the only manager I've actually had at this level. But he's the best manager I've ever had.

Interviewer: 'Would it be fair to describe you as a volatile player?'
    David Beckham(misunderstanding and thinking the word used was versatile): 'Well, I can play in the centre, on the right and occasionally on the left side.'

13. Turpis

Turpis Member

All of this quotes are featured on ESPN America between timeouts/pauses when they show NFL/NHL...