1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gene Peterson appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nice Rollin, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Craig Ackerman just doesnt do it for me. He gets excited for the other team way too much

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Yes he is horrible. Peterson was one of the best ever.

3. Rox_Mayhem

Rox_Mayhem Member

I actually really like Craig Ackerman. He has done a really solid job announcing the play-by -plays.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I was out last night and was driving home while listening to the game. I was pretty shocked at the lack of enthusiasm down the stretch in the 4th quarter.

5. Toast

Toast Member

Charles Barkley backin' it in ... backin' it in ... backin' it in ... backin' it in ... backin' it in ...

Another classic Peterson call. During the Finals of the first championship, we had the TV on and the radio broadcast. Kenny Smith at the free throw line. Chucks one up, it rattles around the rim and falls in. Peterson's on-air call, "And it's a swish, of course!"

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

Peterson was the voice of the Rockets, classic. I frankly have never heard the other guy; I can't get Rockets radio where I live.

7. Zergling

Zergling Member

We were all extremely spoiled by Gene Peterson's brilliant calls. Craig Ackerman was put in an impossibly situation to replace Gene and has probably done a B-level job.

I do agree with the complaints that his play-by-play calls for other teams scoring is randomly exciting. Sometimes it just feels like he's falling behind the live action and struggles to keep up -- and that's when his calls get really boring.

Petersen did an incredibly job painting the picture without falling behind.

8. Fantasma Negro

Have you guys heard Matt Thomas do the rockets games? He's pretty damn good. I think him and Blank should do it or him and a former player as the color analyst. I'm thinking Steve Francis

9. LoneStarDawg

LoneStarDawg Member

Ah, the good ol' days!
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NQmQH_nU6Sc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. DreamRoxCoogFan

yall are crazy- Ackerman is a great radio guy. His broadcast partner sucks though.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dipsey do down the lane for 2.

Rudy T bank shot - Bingo !

DD

12. thejav

thejav Member

feel the same way..

you guys need to stop living in the 90s..

13. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Ackerman falls behind the action way too much

14. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Good one, Craig.

15. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

See my sig. :grin: I don't care for Ackerman but maybe that's because Geno and Foley set the bar high.

16. fleecysphere

fleecysphere Member

Objectivity. He's just appreciating a good play when he sees one.

I think we get enough of our homer dose from Worrell and crew anyways.

17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

For those who say Craig Ackerman is doing a solid job hasn't heard Peterson and Foley.

18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

There's one thing that the Genie has that Ackerman will never, ever have: timbre. The tone of his voice was p-e-r-f-e-c-t for broadcasting live sports. It was strained, yet strong. It was low, yet every word was audible. He was able to portray the action without slowing it down. His catch phrases were cheesy AND classic. And he was as much of a fan as you were listening.

Somebody mentioned Matt Thomas, honestly, he's got the voice for radio and broadcasting as well. I assume he's decent at play-by-play now too, hasn't he been the UH guy for a while?

Ackerman is an ok play by play man. Tough act to follow. His sidekick though....

And the Worrell/Drexler/Bullard combo is....well....not my favorite lol. Worrell's been doing it so long though, it's almost like Peterson. Whoever is next in line will never measure up. Bullard comes in to reiterate or homer-ize anything Worrell says and Drexler just chuckles and says, "well if that was me I would've just dunked it". Which is probably true but doesn't make for decent commentary.

19. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Damn, that "Kiss of Death" call by Gene Patterson brings back tears:(

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

"OH MOTHER!"

Yes, I know Jim Foley said that line, but I'll never get tired of that call.