1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gen Z Music

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The recent deaths of Juice WRLD and Lil Peep have brought the newest generation of music to the forefront. Millennials are yesterday (or maybe tonight) and Gen X is old school (although revered as seen with Kanye in the Lil Pump song I Love It).

I pride myself on being progressive in my music tastes, and with a teenager in the house, I think it's important to keep it fresh. I do love me some new music, so let's let it flow.

Let's not forget Billie Elish. She proves that Gen Z doesn't need gender names OR smiles.

#1 Xerobull, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    KingCheetah likes this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Gen Z in the house (by a hair).

What's good. We eat ass and avocado toast.

Xerobull likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Remember the Wu-Tang name generator?

Since we've got Lil' Yachty (and Peeps and Pumps) and Juice WRLD and such...I think it's time for an updated version. Face tatoos optional.

Xerobull likes this.
  4. Xerobull

I wonder how the face tats are going to fly, long term.Tattoos have been creeping up the body to the neck for about 10 years. The inevitable face tattoos started coming on about three to five years ago. I'm cool with whatever as long as you can make it work.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. Xerobull

I'm going to go with Post Malone as a Gen Z music magnate, even though he's 24.

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think the most famous Gen Z musicians are Billie Ellish, Lorde, Shawn Mendez, and Khalid.

As someone born Gen Z, I don't listen to any of them. Khalid isn't bad though. My wife listens to a couple of his songs.

I'm one of the worst representatives of Gen Z. I'm married with kids, I've never done drugs and I think tattoos are trash.

Xerobull likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Sleeves, whatever. Keep the stuff off of visible places: hands/neck/face.

Also depends on the type/style of tats.

It's a huge south of the border gang identifier, for one. Prison tats for black and white, for two. Makes it a hell of a lot harder to get a job, even at a tire shop or something, whether you deserve the scrutiny or not.

Xerobull likes this.
  9. Xerobull

GREAT post and this board needs an injection of new blood.

I am a fan of The Weeknd as well. Without a doubt he's heavily influenced by Michael Jackson, but in a good way.

10. Xerobull

Well,. that's your subjective opinion, which I respect to a point.

I'd say that tattoos are a statement. I have forearm tattoos and wear them proudly and it hasn't inhibited my professional progress (that I know of). Of course that is a mix of personality, my 'give a f***-ness' and the times.

At any rate, heavily tattooed people know what they are getting in to; they are either destined for a blue collar or 'artistic' job. But again, that perception is being pushed by the decade.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He's about to be 30 so he wasn't born in "Gen Z". But he's definitely someone I and many others (born in 96/97) listened to in high school.

Those songs you linked I've never heard, it's his newer music, and they seem very different from the songs that I liked from him in the past. I've never personally liked fast pace pop music, I like slow R&B.

Xerobull likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Not my subjective opinion at all, and I think you misunderstood what I posted.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Don't say something your gonna regret buck.

The doctor taking care of you on your death bed just might end up being a Gen Zer with sick face tats!

Xerobull likes this.
  14. Xerobull

Absolutely subjective POV of tattoos. You noted location on body, which is absolutely a generational thing, even though facial it may have originated with central-american gangs, which you did note.

So say a very progressive business hires a Gen Z employee with a face tattoo; it's probably due to their subjective inclination due to generational bias or artistic preference.

15. Buck Turgidson

I do not hire people. I know people who hire people. I hear from people who hire people that that is one of the flags they look at. Just like missing teeth (meth).

Sorry, but finding trustworthy employees is a huge problem. There's a ton of work for good pay for responsible people with skills (or the ability to learn/train), but finding the people is problematic.

16. Roscoe Arbuckle

My son writes concertos. His tattoo is a forte on his wrist. He's far more structured than I ever was at 21.

We'll be fine. Gen Z sees that Millennials are idiots as much as everyone else. And Gen X is to blame for making those shitheads.

17. Xerobull

Millennials aren't idiots in my experience. I like every one I know- very pragmatic and easy to get along with. They're sort of like the little brother of Gen X, who really had a hard time overcoming Boomers, the gen that had everything given to them and most of whom chose to snort, **** then divorce away their advantage in the 70s and 80s.

Well, obviously if a person has a face tattoo, it's going to be a black mark, just like missing teeth (which is worse, IMO) in a classic low-dollar blue collar job situation. So I do agree with you in that situation.

But, as said, it's subjective.

However, I -do- hire people to work for me online. I don't give a rat's ass if they have a face tattoo if their resume, experience and references are solid. These people never actually 'see' a customer. Their grammar and people skills are top notch. It's generational.

#17 Xerobull, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    jiggyfly likes this.
  18. Jontro

Jontro Member

wat is this devil music??

need moar every brothers and mega teen sensation buddy holly

Xerobull likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Lol, it's all good, 2 different worlds. Not sure you understand what "skilled labor" is. It's a bit more than being able to talk pretty on the internet, no matter how top-notch they are.

20. Roscoe Arbuckle

You're a mouth-breather. And you know it. Own it.