1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Geltzeiler) Source: Tilman feverishly cutting costs in all Facets of Rockets organization

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NateNate, Mar 13, 2019.

1. biff17

biff17 Member

I don't see how not using MLE money means anything other than the fact the team thought he was not worth it.

Yes you are making a leap because you claim that not signing Ariza and House were purely for salary cap reasons when any reasonable person that knows Morey would say he had or has a value on those guys and stuck to it.

It's what he usually does yet now you want us to believe it was all because of cost cutting.

So once again you ignore the deals we had agreed to and would have put us into the tax because it does not fit.

That's your narrative.

roslolian likes this.
  2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

So we better win the whole damn thing this year!

BarkleyHater84 likes this.
  3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Extra motivation for players to win championships.

More championships = More money

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

It's the same thing. The Rockets were willing to commit X amount of money and get locked in. Beyond that amount of money, they didn't want to get locked in. Call it "cheap," or call it "keeping your options open."

5. bmelo

bmelo Member

We already vetmin heavy

6. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

It's unclear to me what options are open to us with House making $1.8 MM that aren't available with him making $3 MM. Maybe this is the case though.

Both Tillman and Les have been very wary of paying the luxury tax. That is the constraint that Morey has operated under and he's excelled at it.

However, if our owners had looser purse strings (say, like the Warriors ownership), it's reasonable to assume that Morey would have retained Ariza. He was a critical part of our rotation, his one-year deal wouldn't affect our long-term flexibility, and he clearly still had trade value at that cap # (I'm a big fan of Oubre).

This is my viewpoint based on the facts in front of me. Stop acting like I'm trying to create this subversive narrative to criticize our owner unfairly lol

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This data is from Sportrac. It's interesting for a few reasons:
    upload_2019-3-13_19-11-9.png

1. Tillman is tip-toeing at 99% of the lux tax line currently, exactly what Les did his final season, and before that we only cross the LT threshold in 15-16. With only one season as a data point, can we extrapolate so strongly about Tilman? I'd say a solid "MAYBE".

2. The Warriors are shelling out some serious money for their tax bills. An extra $85M over the last two years can be a little tough for an owner to swallow - but the difference is they are riding a wave of 3 championships.

There's a lot of money at stake for playing over the LT line, so it has to be for the right person at the right time. If you make a mistake over the LT, you're looking at giving up even more assets to find a team to help you get back under it, or risk paying the repeater tax, or letting someone walk in free agency that you wish you didn't have to.

Morey is the master of playing this game. And again, there was the failed Miami trade that makes you think, hmmm. Would we have dipped into LT for that? I think people need to just chill while the jury is out on Tilman, as long as Morey is at the wheel.

s3ts, Deuce, steddinotayto and 4 others like this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Fern t*** broke AF.

9. alethios

alethios Member

It's not my "an absolute fraud", it's yours.

10. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Lol, well that didnt last long

napalm06 likes this.
  11. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

He is on NBA radio. So he probably has a decent insider .

12. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

13. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

You take over tear it down and build it up better and more efficient than before you don’t just keep going on the same path

14. biff17

biff17 Member

It is not reasonable to think Morey would have retained Ariza when has he ever overpaid that much for a player?

Weren't you the guy who said there have been cost cutting moves right and left throughout the year?

Why did you say this when it's not true?

15. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

No, owning a sports team is nothing like owning a bond. He could literally make more money per year with less risk by buying shell stock and collecting the dividends. Sinking much of one's net worth into a business needs to return way above the market average to justify the risk involved from lack of diversification. You are a financial illiterate.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This is embarrassing. He says he "stands by his tweet" and then basically takes everything back, with his tail between his legs. What a hack. Zero credibility.

IslandB.O.I., roslolian and bacliff like this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Not complete without graph.

Jontro and steddinotayto like this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Lol ok

There is almost no risk at all in owning an nba team. The yearly income is only a small part of the return on investment. But you go ahead and educate us illiterates about why it’s a normal business and why it’s better to own a stock

Pizza_Da_Hut, steddinotayto and YOLO like this.
  19. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Geltz, taking a break from eating gravel and broken glass to get in proper, full voice. Pure class...

20. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

I mean this falls in line with what I heard about Tilman and his purchasing of the rockets.