1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Geltzeiler) Source: Tilman feverishly cutting costs in all Facets of Rockets organization

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NateNate, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Nivos

Nivos Member

Daryl Morey didnt just signed an extention or something?
    That kinda defeats the point of this notion.
    Morey wouldnt sign if we wasnt sure about the direction of the team

2. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

That's a neat trick to get an interview, just post something inflammatory and you will get a call from management.

Zergling and clutchdabear like this.
  3. topfive

topfive CF OG

He could have afforded the vowel, but the apostrophe would have put him over the Twitter character luxury tax line.

Sajan, YaoMingsSoulja and YOLO like this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

this Geltzeiler character deserves Donkey of the Day...wow

Tilman “frantically” cutting costs as he extends Morey and we find out there’s hope that MDA will be extended as well :rolleyes:

Tilman got his ass...no more “sourced” info from u bro...u wanted to start some drama and u failed...go and collect your L

clutchdabear and RayRay10 like this.
  5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

It was bullshit.

BaselineFade and RayRay10 like this.
  6. YaoMingsSoulja

This tweet is completely different from his previous tweet. Glad Fertitta called him out on it. And please for the love of god stop saying tillman is cheap. HE JUST SPENT 2.2 BILLION DOLLARS TO BUY THE HOUSTON ROCKETS!! PLEASE TELL ME HOW THAT IS CHEAP!!!????? People give me cancer....

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

If the Rockets organization is cutting costs, it has to be for good business reasons. Businesses go through cycles of growth and retraction just like everything else. Chances are there was some fat that needed to be trimmed. Tilman is a self-made billionaire. He knows what he's doing.

sirbaihu likes this.
  8. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Funny, I couldn't help it but that was the first thing I saw also....

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Cutting costs isn't always a bad thing. If the Rockets were it would be interesting to know where those cost cutting measures were coming from. If they were cutting costs in scouts then I would be upset. If they were cutting costs from event day staff I wouldn't mind as much (that is not to say I do not care about those people's jobs) but why have 1000 people work a game night when having 700 people will do the job? I mean the game is "sold out" but there are hardly any people there that would just be smarter business. Not having the extra 300 people work will save the Rockets about 10k per game night (assuming 5 hours of work at min wage of 7.25/hr)

10. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

where do you think he got the money to extend him?

11. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Yo Tillman and Murray your **** sucks hit me back at 281-330-8004

BaselineFade and PWR like this.
  12. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Look man, this is a forum. I'm merely providing my perspective on what trade-off the Rockets should make between spending and fielding the best team possible. I'm not advocating that we spend recklessly, just making the point that some investments are worth it if they improve our ability to win in the near future.

I brought up the deadline deals as cost-cutting moves, but you didn't address them. You only rebutted my points about Ariza and House so that is what I responded to.

We have House's RFA rights, yes, but we are limited in what we can match ($1.8 MM) before we dip into the MLE. This year, we have ~$3.3 MM left of the MLE that could've been used to sign House long-term, but we chose not to do so.

Not re-signing Ariza, not using the MLE to lock in House past this year, and the actual trades we completed to cut salary are all indicative of a pattern of cost-cutting. I don't feel like I'm making a huge leap here.

I've said all I need to on this topic. Morey was clearly successful at the objectives that Tillman laid out for him, and has been rewarded with a long-term extension, with D'Antoni soon to follow. Let's celebrate the fact that we have locked up the braintrust long term!

13. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

If people applied this criteria to what they read on the web, internet solved.

14. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

And his entire business forte has been to buy businesses out of bankruptcy and rebuild them from the fire. The Rockets were already a contender, no longer a quickly appreciating asset. It was a terrible buy for the poor fish salesman.

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

The money is one thing; committing to House long-term is another thing. Maybe they want not to be locked in for some other reason.

16. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Michael Phelps couldn't backstroke faster than that. Sounds like Geltzeiler put way too much faith in the source for that first tweet. That almost reads like he got a nasty gram from the Rockets organization, above and beyond Fertitta getting pissy on Twitter.

YaoMingsSoulja likes this.
  17. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

That's possible, but Feigan said the following back when we sent House to the DLeague:
    Looks like we were willing to commit to him long-term, just at a lower cap figure.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Morey might pull a "player empowerment" move where a couple years after re-signing with us he has his agent leak to the press that he wants to be traded.

19. PWR

PWR Member

Mike Jones

Joshfast and crimsonghost like this.
  20. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Is this another Spanos family? I hope not.