1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GARM FAQs: John Lucas III and Steve Novak Signing Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m_cable, Jul 30, 2006.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I know, my point was about athleticism vs brains.

I will say that the PF position now is more like a taller SF from that era...I hope Novak can cut it.

DD

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Basically if it's a "team" option, it's totally within the team's discretion to exercise the year or not. Just like a "player" option is totally up to the player on whether to accept that year. So the option is completely beneficial to the party that holds it.

As for the downside, the only downside is what it takes to get the option negotiated into the contract in the first place. Obviously one side has to have the leverage to get an option in place or be willing to give something up to get it included.

In Lucas' case, if he's got a third year team option, he most likely accepted it because the Rockets were willing to give him more money upfront. So with more guaranteed money in place, he decided it was worth the possibility of having to wait an extra year for free agency.

3. Panda

Panda Member

It's one thing to put on mass, it's another to sustain it throughout a season, which is why guys like Shawn Bradley is rail thin after spending years weight training. Not ruling out Novak at pf, it's the question mark of if he's got enough to play the sf or pf in the NBA that made him slid into the second round. If NBA teams can't answer that question with certainty, I don't think any armchair coach on this board can as of now.

4. walangjo

walangjo Member

this is what made it a lot sweeter, a mention in one of the best posts/poster here in GARM. :)

great article by the way. you should really change the reporters in Chron or have your own rockets blogsite. :)

5. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

That's it. m_cable, you officially have way too much time on your hands. I can't believe how much time I spent reading that, not to mention how much time you spent writing it. :)

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Hops, no. Athleticism, a lot more than you remember. He wasn't an athletic freak, but he could keep up. And his strength didn't hurt either.

m_cable: Great job!!

Clutch: m_cable's summer league performance has been superb. Sign him to a three-year deal. A rookie contract would just let someone else have him in two years.

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Prediction: By mid-season, JVG will have branded m_cable's subconcious a "troublemaker" and shipped him off to NO in return for a 2023 second-round pick and a muffaletta.

8. WallofYao

WallofYao Member

niceee post m_cable. haha long and entertaining.

9. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Keep 'em coming, m_cable. Nice thread, as always.

I have a different bold prediction: between the two of them, by the end of the season, either JL3 and Kill Bill will turn into a stud point. They'll bring a dose of high-octane energy, offense, and slashing that will make this team a beast.

And since I also have a rose-colored-glasses-hunch that Sura will be (mostly) healthy this year, I'm feeling pretty good about things.

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Thanks man. And remember when you suggested that I might play around with the format and make it into a socratic dialogue. Well I don't know if I took your advice or not, since I needed to look up socratic dialogue and still only know the definition and not the connotations of the phrase. But I did enjoy goofing around with format, and will probably continue to do so in the future. So good call.

11. bobmc

bobmc Member

Thanks once again m_cable. That's much what I expected but I sometimes overcomplicate things in my mind. :)

12. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Format, shmormat. Good writing is good writing. Looking forward to the next one.

(btw, Doesn't the Chronicle have these "fan blogs?" With all due respect to Ren Hsieh, and apologies if he's a member of this board... your FAQ posts make for much better reading, hands down. You should get in touch with someone at the Chron's editorial dept and pitch them.)