1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Game Thread: Texans vs 49ers

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by theimpossibles1, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

What are you talking about? We had the #1 offense in the NFL when Watson was healthy. THAT'S the bar......not the useless results that occur when you've got 10 starters on the IR.

red5rocket likes this.
  2. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

I guess you missed the line from O’Brien in the past years, “9-7 is not the bar”. Nevermind that he finished 9-7 in his first 3 years and will finish 4-12 this year. That’s what I’m talking about.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Spin that damage control, baby!

Nook likes this.
  5. Fyreball

My point is I don't care what BOB says. Every coach in professional sports uses "coach speak" in varying degrees. It means nothing. The only thing that matters are results when your team is functionally healthy. The Texans are not functionally healthy, and haven't been for over a month. It's pointless to try and take away anything that happens this season.

houstonstime likes this.
  6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Why jump on BOB when the medical staff were the ones that okay Savage to go back in?

I’m with BOB and he should return next season. No to a resign.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

Sooo....
    1. Watson has lots of question marks
    2. Savage is a starting NFL caliber QB
    3. The offensive line is amazing
    4. The secondary has no problems at all
    5. Will Fuller can’t catch anything thrown outside his body.

If we’re not taking anything away from this season.

Nook and red5rocket like this.
  9. Fyreball

And literally every single one of your points can be met with, "This team was healthy for about 3 weeks total this season."

1. When Watson had his full arsenal of receivers, he (and the entire offense) looked completely unstoppable.
    2. He might be, but as long as he keeps getting injured, we'll never truly find out. Not that it matters, because he will never be the starter here as long as Deshaun is healthy
    3. No it's not.
    4. Yes they do.
    5. I'm more worried about the fact that he can't go more than 2 weeks without missing time.

Seriously, what are you even arguing about anyways?? BOB doesn't need to resign, and the Texans are a walking MASH unit. There's not much to debate there.

10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Given that this team is basically on it's 2nd string...

This team is really bad. That was a really ugly game of football yesterday, all the way around.

The positive things to take away are limited but here it is: Hopkins is earning that contract. Bit of crow for me here because I (rightfully, I might add) criticized his previous season. He is great at what he does. Clowney. The guy is developing into a monster. I still wish they had the horses to set up a base 4-3 and let him work in his natural position but I guess with all that's happening they have to manufacture some defense by moving him around. While I'm on the defense, please, dear sweet Jesus, please let this game be a sign that the Texans have realized Brian Cushing is strictly a SAM OLB now. He's still strong and smart enough to set the edge and has enough coverage experience to do the job....he just hasn't been fast enough to play MLB since his last surgery like 2 years ago right? He hasn't been sideline to sideline fast for years. He can still be that John Simon/Brooks Reed type of SAM who makes a contribution though.

And TJ Yates is like a folk hero here. I hope he ends up on someone kind of Texans broadcast team.

11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

TJ Yates is our future backup

craigharmann likes this.
  12. SuraGotMadHops

Man who cares anymore, just bring the girls!!

[​IMG]

13. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

Outside of 5 players (Hopkins, Watson, Watt, Clowney and Mercilus), the team has no great players. Mediocre/young at best. Depth has been an issue. It starts with Rick Smith, who needs to go, and O’Brien, who also needs to go. His coaching and clock management issues can not be contributed to injury. That’s what I’m arguing about. Changes have to be made.

#273 craigharmann, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

And I’m guessing you didn’t fully read my post. Those things would be true....if, as you said, we take NOTHING from this year.

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I'm assuming you meant Hopkins instead of Watkins but try this exercise, can you name 5 great players on the following teams? Not saying you're wrong on this, but tried to do the same and couldn't get to 5 for almost all of them.

Patriots:
    Chiefs:
    Steelers:
    Jags:
    Rams:
    Eagles:
    Vikings:
    Saints:

As far as "great talent," Rick has hit home runs on almost all of his 1st rounders and has maybe done this better than most, if not all teams, but the later rounds and FA has been a zero and that's where the problem lies IMO. I agree that Rick needs to go but looking at the above teams, if you take away 3 of their best 5 players, including their QB, tough to say they wouldn't be closer to 4-9 than at the top of their division.

#276 gucci888, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  17. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

Yes, I meant Hopkins. Not sure what Watkins came from. The team came into the year with a dreadful O line on paper, which was somehow worse on the field. Injuries have made that worse. Started with a so-so secondary on paper, which on the field and because of injuries up front is far worse. 1st round picks are nice, but you have to build a TEAM. The Texans as a TEAM are and have been mediocre for a while now.

18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Assuming Hopkins....but Cole and Cunningham are going to be talents as well. Fuller may be replaceable but for now hes definitely a target for Watson.

19. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

I love Cole and Cunningham. They’re rookies, so I wouldn’t count them in the great category. They definitely have a great future ahead of them.

red5rocket likes this.
  20. Fyreball

I did fully read your post, but I misunderstood what you were trying to say. I thought you said all of those things in the affirmative......not the negative, which would completely change the meaning of your post. My bad bruh.

craigharmann likes this.