1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[game] Divinity: Original Sin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by morpheus133, Apr 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Been enjoying this. Really well done.

Inventory system needs work though.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Decided to buy this a few days ago. It reminds me a bit of the Baldur's Gate series, but then maybe that's why I consider it "pretty good" but nothing earth-shattering - I've seen most of it before. The worst part of the game so far has been trying to figure out where to go to level up ... "hmm... level 7's... nope... level 8's... oh hell no.... level 5's... finally! ... I might be able to take these."

I still haven't experimented with blacksmithing/crafting, but want to try it out. The one thing that makes this game so different from Baldur's Gate (so far, at least) is the way spells and classes of spells interact, magnify, etc. and may cause you to think before you just fire them off.

BTW, minor spoiler :

Getting Jahan in the party makes things easier

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I learned very early, very quickly. If you do not have a single party member that can crowd control then you will die very quickly, very frequently, and very easily. :grin:

4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

So is it as nice as the reviews say? I am thinking about buying it. Does it have the bg feel?

5. arno_ed

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Weird. I just started the game up again after a bit of a layoff and saw this thread. I got kind of bored with it during the first attempt, but decided to try it again. I've just made it to the mines. :(

arno_ed,

I doubt anything is going to give me the feel of the old Ultima and BG line where it seemed like you were transported to another world as you played. But that's probably because those 2 games/lines were the granddaddies of what everyone expects a game like this to be. The game is good, but there's nothing about it that blows me away or anything. I don't regret buying it or anything, though. Like I said, it's a good-but-not-great game.

7. arno_ed

Thanks DoD
    The story is lacking compared to BG (but almost every game lacks the story compared to BG). I like this game, but the lack of interesting story is to bad. I do really like the way you can combine spells and skills (this was also possible in Guild Wars 2, but is done more nicely in this game).

I agree that it is a good-not-great game. There are enough positives for me to keep playing (and probably finish the game, but not enought that I cannot stop playing.

I am looking forward to The Witcher 3. I loved the first two installments, and I am hoping this will be a game that is great again.

I am still not sure about "Dragon age: Inquisition" I like "Dragon age: Origins", but I was very dissapointed in "Dragon age 2" So I will wait for the reviews to come in before I buy Dragon age.

8. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I really like Divinity. Story isn't anything spectacular, but the over all game play is great and it plays great co-op. Also the game editor means that other people can make their own stories eventually with it.

If you are a Baldurs Gate fan, keep your eye out for Torment: Tides of Numenera and Pillars of Eternity which are being made by alot of the designers who worked on Planescape Torment and the Baldurs Gate/Icewind Dale games.

1 person likes this.
  9. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Here is some video from the Pillars of Eternity beta:
    [youtube]m2Xqei2ZSbY[/youtube]

10. arno_ed

This looks amazing. I will be looking forward to it.

11. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I'm stuck at the mines area (i.e., not that far) due to life interruptions, but I really think highly of the game. The story is disappointing, but what I do like is that the developers seem to acknowledge this. They know the game doesn't have a complex storyline, so they just keep it simple and throw in lots of humor when they can. Makes it easy to jump in and out of the game (like I'm kinda forced to do). I absolutely love the gameplay and game design. I actually played a little bit of the Pillars of Eternity beta, and I was a bit disappointed to go back to a more "limited" battle engine (not saying PoE was disappointing, just expressing my love for Divinity's battle systems).

Definitely excited to finish up Divinity and then move on to Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Torment, etc.

12. arno_ed

Do you think Pillars will be released this year (so december 2014)? If so I might buy that game instead of Dragon age.

I agree that the battle engine is great, the combining of spells and skills is amazing. (altough I am not a huge fan of the turn based combat, it is nice for this game, but I prefer non turn based). If they made a better story, and let the choices have more influence it would be a great game.

I am really looking forward to the witcher 3, it is a more action orientated RPG, but It usually delivers a nice story line, and the game play was great in the witcher 2.

13. RC Cola

I haven't been able to check out the beta extensively, but I think there's a good shot at hitting 2014 (that's definitely their stated goal). I get the impression that the game is pretty much done, but they're trying to fix/improve things based on feedback from the beta. Depending on how much polish/fixing/balancing there is to do, I guess it might slip into early 2015. It was originally scheduled for April 2014, so it's already seen a lengthy delay (though partly due to the crazy Kickstarter funding).

And yes, Witcher 3 should be amazing. :)

1 person likes this.
  14. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

The latest divinity update added 2 new companions; a ranger and rogue to pick from.

Also Torment: Tides of Numenera got a new trailer:

[youtube]Gd43NYBzHuk[/youtube]

15. RC Cola

Definitely loved that Torment trailer.

SO MUCH TEXT! haha

16. RC Cola

FYI to anyone interested, PoE is being delayed to early 2015:
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/content.php?1996-Pillars-of-Eternity-Delayed
    It is probably for the best.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I kind of got bored with Original Sin again ... but I'll eventually finish it. I think it's just because the storyline is a bit "meh" like others have said.

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

This game is the best couch co-op game with your girlfriend ever