1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Future of employement and wages

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Jul 20, 2017.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This concern looks totally backwards. We should be looking forward to a future where technology reduces the demands on our time of fulltime employment. We can create far more productivity than our race has ever been able to at a fraction of the cost on each individual. It should be terribly liberating. It should create more time for people to engage in hobbies, to nurture their relationships, to do art, to travel, to volunteer to help others, to have recreation and leisure. Because some robot is doing the work of putting food on the table. And yet, our economy is geared to deliver the total opposite. Instead of enriching people and freeing them, people are working longer and getting paid less because they can't compete with a robot otherwise. A tiny fraction of our race is gobbling up all the productivity gains. Your leisure time is sitting in Paul Allen's bank account.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

That is a future down the road that's possible, but we definitely won't transition straight to that. There's no reason to think major corporations will have any desire to continue to shuffle money down to people worldwide. Even a concept like Universal Basic Income is pretty unworkable unless the whole world buys into it. Otherwise those companies being taxed to pay for it can jump to countries not taxing them. Rise of AI just makes it easier to move.

And of course the biggest problem is that we aren't going to be proactive about the future at all. Instead we'll wake up one day to an avalanche of job loss with no strategy of how to transition a global economy.

Mathloom, da_juice and JuanValdez like this.
  3. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Its all based on the growth rate, death rate, and birth rate. It is curbing so in 70 years it will begin to decline. We are not growing at the same rate, because the growth rate keeps getting cut in half every 15 years. That means eventually it will stop and begin to decline.

What I honestly am worried about his global warming. Who gives a crap about the overpopulation when we are still using gas cars. Everyone can and should be driving an electric car if it were not for the lobbyist, greedy politicians, and of course the oil and automobile industry.

DudeWah likes this.
  4. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Not everyone can do the same thing you do. Some people do have to pay with cards and if you charge them $500 extra they will walk out the door and go somewhere else.

Also, there would probably be less bums if people didnt waste so much on cc and bank fees. I don't need a wallet to carry cash. I just leave my cash inside my car along with my ID and credit cards. It is only 50 to $100. I pay my maid and my lawn man in cash, so i leave $100 in the house.

It is so nice to be able to log onto my bank accounts and credit cards one week and next week not see 100 charges trying to see where my money is going. Pretty much seeing the same exact amount minus one to $200. I know where my money ends up and i spend less time having to review charges and monitoring for fraudulent ones,

#44 Brown Lost It, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Eventually we will have to reach some type of star trek economy which I started a thread about a while back. The problem is I think there will quite a bit of social unrest and even bloodshed before we get there. The powerful will not give up their power unless they feel that they have no other choice.

da_juice and iconoclastic like this.
  6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

This AI based revolution is totally different from the industrial revolution, AI will only get smarter, faster and cheaper. occupation we used to think are AI proof will not be for long, doctors, graphic design, engineers, accountants, data analysts, the list goes on and on. In fact, I bet there are less than 5% of the current jobs that can not be duplicated by AI within 30 years. Maybe space exploration is the best hope for mankind if we get fast enough space travel that make it possible or we can make planets like mars, moon etc livable. I have no idea what my kid should study in college 10 years from now. STEM is not going to be the AI proof field many hope it would be.

#46 pirc1, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    jsingles and justtxyank like this.
  7. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Oh, and exact change is the fastest way out the door.

8. justtxyank

Right, even in the fantasy utopia of Star Trek they had basically a blood war the devastated the entire Earth for generations before they slowly moved into the Space Age.

@JuanValdez paints a nice view of a world where people can focus on painting and other hobbies, but the reality is that nothing in human history suggests we'll make a peaceful transition. More likely the wealth will continue consolidating into smaller and smaller groups that use their power and influence to stomp out the rest. The clingers will support them thinking they'll have a place in the new world as well and then eventually everything unravels.

9. pirc1

It is not impossible to think of scenarios where humans go extinct after self destructive WWIII within this century.

da_juice likes this.
  10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The Owner of the robots will make that money. What incentive do they have to share with everyone else?

Brown Lost It likes this.
  11. pirc1

Because they are like Trump and want to MAGA?

Brown Lost It and justtxyank like this.
  12. justtxyank

A lot of middle to lower class people do believe in the idea that Trump and his friends are giving up vast wealth to come down from their mountains to save America.

The only saving grace is that these industries and corporations need people to have money to spend if they are going to keep making money or if money is going to have any value.

Brown Lost It likes this.
  13. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Lol, if things get too bad this made me realize money has no value if no one has any to spend. It becomes anarchy.

The 99.9% need to be fed or the system is meaningless.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Who owns and how they own is a matter of public policy.

15. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Still, what I find strange is those who are the wealthy elite care so much about their legacy and leaving behind billions of dollars for their family. You see guys like Bill Gates who are very concerned about global warming, but they do not care enough to do anything relevant like start a movement to switch to electric cars. And yet we all sit around and do nothing as it gets hotter and hotter.

In the future, it's going to be impossible to live in nice weather places like California, florida and the northern states. It is already very expensive to live in those states.

16. justtxyank

You should maybe research what a lot of these billionaires are doing with their money.

A large number of them aren't leaving anything to their kids for example and most of them are the ones actually beating the drum about the future

17. jsingles

jsingles Member

This post needs more Likes

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Eh, not to quibble with doomsday, but it will be very very hard to totally wipe out humanity with terrestrial means, absent exploding every nuclear bomb we've even built. I think it will take something from astrophysics to truly end our species: asteroid, gamma-ray burst (could happen any minute and essentially blow off our atmosphere), or of course, the eventual expansion of the sun itself.

Short version: we'll be around with the roaches and the crows when everything else is dead here. Not 7 billion of us, but at least 700,000 or so.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

But I found it... idiocratic.

20. jsingles

jsingles Member

I have just a couple of years on you and I wouldn't thought the same even 10 years ago, but look at what's happened in our lifetime just in the technology realm. If you took someone out of the late 1940's and put them in 1990, I don't think they'd have an issue adapting to the changes in technology or being able to fathom the leaps in technological advancements. But take someone from 1995 and put them here today and they'll be overwhelmed by phone, internet, auto, consumer electronics as the world has changed dramatically in such a short amount of time. These technological advances going forward are going to be happening at a much, much faster pace. There's a good chance in 20 years looking back we'll think we were living like cavemen. In my opinion this means a more robotic foothold in how we live our lives and people overall will be worse for it.

Jayzers_100 likes this.