1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Futbol] 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SwoLy-D, Jun 30, 2015.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]

The 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup will be the 13th edition of the CONCACAF Gold Cup and will be played in host countries United States and Canada, from July 7 to July 26, in 14 different cities.

At stake is a playoff against the USA, Gold Cup 2013 Champions, to play in the 2017 FIFA Confederations. If USA wins, they qualify directly to Confederations Cup.

Group A: HAI, HON, PAN, USA
    Group B: CAN, CRC, ESV, JAM
    Group C: CUB, GUA, MEX, TRI,

July 7 : PAN-HAI, USA-HON - Toyota Stadium, Frisco TX
    8 : CRC-JAM, ESV-CAN - StubHub Center, Carson CA
    9 : TRI-GUA, MEX-CUB - Soldier Field,Chicago IL
    10: HON-PAN, USA-HAI 0 - Gillete Stadium, Foxborough MS
    11: JAM-CAN, CRC-ESV - BBVA Compass Stadium, Houston TX
    12: TRI-CUB, GUA-MEX - Univ. of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale CA
    13: HAI-HON, PAN-USA - Sporting Park, Kansas City MO
    14: JAM-ESV, CAN-CRC - BMO Field, Toronto, CANADA
    15: CUB-GUA, MEX-TRI - Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte NC

Quarterfinals:
    7/18 - 1 A winner vs. B/C 3rd place and 2 A runner-up vs. B winner - M&T Bank Stadium, Baltimore MD
    7/19 - 3 C winner vs. A/B 3rd place and 4 C runner-up vs. B runner-up - MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ
    Semifinals:
    7/22 - QF1 winner vs. QF2 winner and QF3 winner vs QF4 winner - Georgia Dome, Atlanta GA
    Third-place playoff:
    7/25 - SF1 loser vs. SF2 loser - PPL Park, Chester PA
    Final:
    7/26 - SF1 winner vs. SF2 winner - Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia PA

Top two teams of each group and top two best third place teams will advance to knockout stage after round-robin play for points (or goal differential if tied).

May the best team win the Cup! :grin:

#1 SwoLy-D, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

[​IMG]

3. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Rooting for El Salvador, but I might be disappointed or pleasantly surprised.

Hope to catch a game here on the East Coast somewhere.

4. SwoLy-D

LOLs @ plcmts :grin:

Here's my team and support team:
    [​IMG]

:( I've been disappointed in them Guanacos as well. They have disappointed ever since De Los Cobos left them. He had them going!

5. SwoLy-D

:( We lose Chicharito. Hopefully we get to see some youngsters step up. Peralta didn't do much last night. It may have been a good Honduras defense.

Longest winless streak since 2001. As soon as I saw him call for the medical staff I said: "there's something broken." And sure enough... collar bone.

The Gold Cup is in 6 days and Mexico are a dumpster fire
    By Kevin McCauley @kevinmccauley on Jul 1, 2015, 11:43p
    Interesting facts in the tweets. Longest streak without a victory since 2001 at 7... we can't beat Costa Rica, USA, Honduras. Luckily we can probably take advantage we have Cuba first. :eek: But I won't be that confident.

6. Indaface

Indaface Member

Mexico has a pretty easy road to the final (easy group and avoid US Costa Rica until final unless one of them slips up in group) so they at least have some "tune up" games to get everything straightened out.

7. prohibido

prohibido Member

I'm just surprised that there's a Mexican out there somewhere that knows how to use an apostrophe.

1 person likes this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well looks like the Dow Jonesness of the USA and Mexico teams is happening again, USA fell during WC, but is on the rise, Mexico rose during WC and is now in decline again.

They should both reach the GC final - but right now, you would have to question Mexico.

DD

9. 713

713 Member

Where are all the young players for US? Julian Green? Gedion? Carter-Vickers?

10. Indaface

Indaface Member

Julian Green is probably to get his club situation straightened out/plus he just isn't good enough right now.

The other two are pretty young and probably not ready for this so after the U20 WC they probably just are getting a break before their new club seasons.

Jordan Morris had foot surgery so he's out 4-6 weeks.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Didn't know that about Morris. That's a bummer. He would have been a great inclusion for this tournament.

I believe that we will win.

12. Indaface

Indaface Member

Yea Jurgen said he was planning on calling him in for the knockout stages (would have been a good supersub)...and i misspoke it wasn't foot surgery it was a stress fracture in his leg still 4-6 weeks.

Friendly today vs Guatemeala 6pm FS1

13. leroy

Morris needs to stop with the college thing. He's proven beyond very little doubt that he'll be a successful professional. I understand the love of being on campus and all and I'm sure Stanford is a blast...but his future is now and he could be taking an unnecessary risk by playing another NCAA season with inferior talent.

14. SwoLy-D

Morris reminds me of what Davies had before the accident. He outruns everyone, even his own team, at times. I remember that in the 3-0 win against Mexico, there were times he left everyone behind on breakaways, and had to wait for help because everyone else was slower.
    :grin: Thanks for your interest in my country and its players. What else do you have in your review of my team, sir?

I'm more than glad you're concerned about them more than your own team. It's cool. No, really, no sarcasm here. :cool: Give me some more. I like it.

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Yeah I sadly agree. The NCAA is just a bad model for soccer development. It's a big reason why American soccer development is subpar. The US doesn't have the youth development system that other countries have. Also, the truly screwed up thing is that even before college, you more or less have to be wealthy to get access to top tier coaching and competition. In Europe, teams will cover all of those costs because they know if you develop, you can either join the main team or they can make money off of you via the transfer market.

MLS teams are attempting to replicate that but MLS teams simply dont have the money to be able to invest in a child from early childhood until high school graduation.

If you're a child from a poor family, you simply can't afford the costs of becoming a soccer professional. It's far cheaper to pick another sport especially when football and basketball don't require families to spend absurd amounts of money on training and competition.

16. leroy

You must not have kids involved in today's youth sports. Everything is getting crazy competitive from an early age and crazy expensive. Soccer might actually be the cheapest to participate in early on simply because there's less equipment needed.

The system here is changing. It's slow but it's going in the right direction. Fewer and fewer of the top players are playing in college. Heck, fewer and fewer are playing for their local high schools.
    Morris is certainly a special situation. Players of his ability are not playing more than 1 season of college, if at all. But it's time for him to grow up and understand that he has a professional career that's waiting for him. One injury playing against CSU Bakersfield can end all of that. Why miss out on the opportunity of a lifetime now when you can always go back to college?

#16 leroy, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  17. SwoLy-D

Other countries skip the "college" soccer player experience and have academies or pick people straight from their ranks of U-17 and under teams. :eek:

The U.S.A. doesn't have that. Kids HAVE TO go to college. They either get no competition or no good quality coaching.

18. leroy

They don't HAVE to go to college...if they live within reach of a MLS team. They can get into their youth system and work their way up. The system is changing but it takes time. More players are making it to the MLS via the development academy route. Fewer are making it as draft picks out of college.

That's why the Dynamo being involved in the USL team in the Valley is a big deal. It gives them access to what is really a previously untapped breeding ground of talent.

19. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

The Dynamo Academy has had a South Texas branch since 2007.

20. SwoLy-D

I'm agreeing with all of you about not having to go to college and why other countries have so much success. :eek: I think y'all would agree with that. The U.S.A. and MLS teams should speak to good college players about that.

Who's going to see some Gold Cup games either here at BBVA or in Frisco?