1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FTF Nick & Jenna: Rockets don't have a plan B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Mar 6, 2020.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Rockets lover Nick Wright agrees, Rockets don't have a plan B. How this is not a knock on MDA right now I don't know...it sure as hell will knock us out of a 1st or 2nd round series and total knock out for MDA who's out the door if he continues to just banks on us hitting threes. Or is it somehow fine and we'll just to have to bank on our defense carrying us?

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Plan B is also Plan A and a half.

Use Westbrook to go mayhem at the rim and kick out to the second squad.

All hope goes with Westbrook until Harden and 3pt shooters can find himself/themselves.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yep. Isn't that what many (most?) of us say on this board?

I remember getting----well, not flayed, not scourged, but pimp-slapped, I guess---over criticizing D'Antoni recently.
    I tried to amend my tone but the truth remains: he might implement a new wrinkle here and there between games (and such change often arrives glacially), but in-game, it's pretty much the same. There are no re-writes on the fly. The script is great or bombs.

I want him to succeed, of course. But "Keep Jacking Threes" gets old when those shots don't fall.

And when Harden shows up slow and unmotivated, or whatever, so goes the team.

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

It's a little too hard to move away from Plan A within a game, though.

For example, you go 2/22 in the first half or something. At halftime, you're probably thinking "oh, going ice cold won't last. I'm sure we'll get it right in the third." And then you do poorly in the third. So then do you change it up to anything other than shooting 3s, with 12 minutes left to go?

When it's your biggest (and sometimes only) strength, it's hard to veer away from that, given that a basketball game is only 48 minutes long.

D-rock, jacoby, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

snowconeman22, D-rock and kjayp like this.
  6. MystikArkitect

Their plan B is the law of averages.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Been obvious for a long time.

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Plan B is to wait till next year

9. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

I blame the players not the coach.

You shouldn’t need permission to play smart basketball.
    It’s just stupidity to miss shot after shot after shot and not attack the basket.

Like after House missed that ridiculous step back three. What did he do after?
    He took it strong to the basket for a dunk.

Why wait until you’re down 20-30 pts and have missed 100 threes before you try something else?

Yes three is better than two but....a Win is better than a Loss

10. JW86

JW86 Member

A coach can call a time-out and remind them, can practice on new plays and implement a few here and there to get those easy shots. If you haven't noticed, we are not a team with guys who can take guys off the dribble or move around a lot, whether that's by design or lack of talent I cannot say for some of them. So to just think players will automatically change the game is not feasible when you're so used to shooting threes at all costs, for most of them. Harden and Westbrook can mix it up, Westbrook you don't even have to tell, but Harden you definitely need to remind. A good coach will also try something if guys don't buy into it or still just jack up threes, pull guys or call another time-out until they get it. MDA seems to just sit there and let it happen.

11. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Absolutely not true..
    I’ve seen Rivers, House, Gordon, Mclemore, Green, Covington, even Tucker at times all take their man or beat their man off the dribble.

You don’t get to the NBA being a one trick pony.

The problem is...Rockets players are programmed to keep shooting no matter what which is just stupid.

It’s almost like if you don’t shoot the three you’ll be traded or cut from the team.
    As player you should always play smart and the right way.
    You make that adjustment without permission because it’s winning that matters most.
    Not some gimmicky analytic BS system that has won you nothing thus far

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I thought Plan B and C was the annual 'Champion of the Hearts' title.

13. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Could've been PLAN B for last night

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Shieee...... Harden got all the Plan Bs at his house. He done bought them all.

Also..... People want the anphony extended. lulz.

15. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Dude, I may not be that sober, but this feels like a deja vu every morning after a loss since we are going small ball.

We can only hope it's a wake up call for everybody on our side. We are talented, but we seem awfully prepared on many fronts when compared with other contenders.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Plan A is Westbrook and Harden playing like All-stars at the same time.

That's the only way to win a championship. There is no plan B

D-rock and smp like this.
  17. bmelo

bmelo Member

Players at this level should make a read by themselfs. You see your man not interested in you and playing radar in the corner? do a ****ing backcut *******

fckbandwagons and D-rock like this.
  18. JW86

JW86 Member

There's a difference between at times and truly being able to beat guys off the dribble..come on now, Tucker is a stiff like Chuck Hayes was. McLemore is strictly a shooter - probably by design, Gordon cannot dribble that well but I'll give you him, Covington is very hesitant and actually not a good dribbler nor that quick to do it, House does it but not enough, Rivers surely can.

That's exactly my point, they have been taught to just camp outside and shoot. I don't think they really practice sets that involve backdoor cuts, lots of body movement etc. So to say that now they should "just do it", is kind of silly. It's not about permission and yes it does seem like if they hesitate and don't the three there will be consequences. It's about habits and what you practice over and over again, it's like 2nd nature to them to just stand there and shoot. Even if they are horrible shots.

19. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Most times the 3pt shots are wide open and so are lanes to the basket.

You don’t need Kyrie Irving handles to get to the basket.
    When the defender is closing out, do Just a simple blow by move.
    When you’re wide open, just a hard dribble to the basket

When a defender is in your face, then guys tend to struggle without the ball handling skills.
    For the most part the Rockets get wide open looks with wide open lanes.

bmelo and D-rock like this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

Ah yea the infamous plan B one if the most famous talking points of the brightest minds on CFs. :D

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.