1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

From the Parsons move to predict the Rockets transaction timeline of the next few months

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanasiafan, Jun 4, 2014.

1. CRJames14

CRJames14 Member

- Decline Parsons
    - Trade Asik/Lin/Dmo/#25 to Celtics for Trade Exception and second rounders
    - July 1-4 Talk to Dirk, Lebron, Pau, Melo, and Lowry
    - July 7 come to agreement with Pau and Lowry splitting the approx. 16 mil in cap space.
    - July 8 Sign Parsons to a 5 year deal worth 45 million
    - July 9 Sign Shawn Marion or Paul Pierce with a portion of the MLE
    - July 15 Sign Kostas Panipanokau(sp?) with the rest of the MLE
    - Sign vet center to back up Dwight

- June 15, 2015 win an NBA Championship

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't expect to see a salary dump on draft night. I can see trading Lin/Asik for a guy we're going to keep on draft night. But, I don't think you just dump those 2 on the assumption that you can do something useful with the cap-space once free agency begins. If they take this strategy at all, I think they get a verbal commitment from the player during the moratorium first, and then execute on trades to drop those players. And, you can't get that commitment on draft night.

3. Rokman

Rokman Member

I agree with the bolted statement but Lin will not be involved in that deal. The Celtics don't need 3 point guards and I doubt they would move Rondo with the thought that they have Lin to replace him. I mean, come on. Also, if the Rockets clear the cap, they are signing Melo if he accepts. None of this Pau clap is going to happen, he is washed up.

4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Well I think the Rockets' chance to get Love is slim to none, main reason being : there is no way Parsons will agree to a sign and trade there, and other than Parsons, Rockets just doesn't have anything to offer to the Twolves.

Many people believe the Celtics will make a run for Love, but think about the same reason as mentioned above : OK if the C will get Love, do you really believe their current roster is better plus Love is better than the Twolves of the last few years? If not, how can you guarantee that Love will not leave after next year? If Love will leave, Rondo for sure will leave also and then Celtics will be doomed by this move. Well, if you think Celtics will find a 3rd pieces to group with Rondo and Love, how so? they just do not have much assets on hand.

That's the reason I believe that any trades related to Lin and Asik will probably involve the Celtics - no matter if we will get Rondo or not.

I believe the Celtics will deal away Rondo asap and be the 76ers of this year and suck again next season.

5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The Les should fire Ted Brown.

The 2014-15 season ticket TV ad even included Cisco and Bev but not Lin.

6. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Can someone please make a flow chart here so we can see the critical path? :grin:

7. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Also there are lots of different rumors out there.

One being that the Mavs are interested to get back Tyson Chandler (for whatever reasons) and I believe the Knicks will be thrill to trade him away in a heart beat.

If that happen, that will make some sort of deal of Lin+Asik+picks (plus some filler) going to NYC in some sort of sign and trade for Melo also (not sure if this will work though - on the sign and trade part).

if the Rockets will be targeting Melo, this will be the best scenario to make it happen.

8. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Prior June 30 - Decline Parsons option :confused:
    Draft best player available :rolleyes:
    July 1 - Lineup Melo for S&T but have dumps for Lin and Asik ready. :eek:
    Mid July - S&T Melo :cool:
    Late July - Sign or match Parsons :grin:
    Late July - Use MLE on Spencer Hawes :eek:
    Late July - Use BAE on Danny Granger (2 year with player option for 2nd year) ;)

Other free agent options for MLE/BAE/Vet Min. include Trevor Ariza (unlikely), Andrei Kirilenko, Shawn Marion, Kris Humphries, Caron Butler, PJ Tucker, Al-Farouq Aminu, Rashard Lewis, Aaron Brooks, Toney Douglas, Emeka Okafor.

Rockets Lineup:

Beverley/Canaan
    Harden/Daniels
    Parsons/Melo/Granger
    Melo/Hawes/Jones/D-Mo
    Howard/Hawes/D-Mo

The only real weakness there is the backup point guard.

My prediction for other teams:
    Boston - Trades #6 + Green + Olynyk + Joel Anthony + 2 other picks for Love
    Boston - Involved in the Melo S&T getting Asik for a pick

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

*Morey will trade out of the first round - we need the cap space more than another young player. we'll get either a euro-stash player, or future picks.

*Lin gets traded to either the lakers, sixers, jazz, magic, or bucks with a first and second round pick, plus $3M in cash to help pay for some of his salary. - Why those teams? all but the lakers aren't hoping to use their cap space, so why not turn it into a couple of picks and international tv deals? the lakers may be interested in such a deal if they fail to trade for love or sign melo since they would be able to afford him, they would want the picks, and they could cash in on his brand.

*getting rid of lin and our pick is a good move whether or not we are able to sign melo bc we could still afford to sign lowry straight out. or if we really strike out, we could still use the money to build a better bench.

*that being said, i think we could win the bidding war for melo. he wants to join stars and NY failed on the promise to do that for him. the lakers, mavs, and bulls can't really do that. well, kobe and dirk are stars, but will only be with melo for 2 years. the bulls could give us a run for melo but with rose's injury risk, its probably not worth it.

*with a verbal agreement from melo, the rockets can pull the trigger on an asik deal that was probably agreed upon in principal weeks before, just incase melo agreed to sign. he's probably traded to the sixers, cavs, hawks, or hornets for a couple of second round picks. he's worth more, but those teams know we have to trade him.

*with lin/asik traded, we can officially S&T for melo. we will give up some picks, and non-guaranteed contracts of casspi, powell, and covington. melo gets the max and knicks get some compensation.

*parsons is still shopping around for the best deal he can find. The cavs want to win now in order to keep kyrie, they could make a big offer, so can the hornets, and suns. but the cavs strike me as the only team that would overpay (the hornets can't afford it and the suns are usually smarter than that). with melo at SF we dont NEED parsons anymore. we can force a S&T with the leverage of "if you don't trade with us, we'll match the offer." in this case (lets assume the cavs) we could ask for a first round pick that can only be conveyed if its a lotto pick (much like the lowry trade).

*finally, we go "all in" with a near MLE offer to sefolosha, and an LLE offer to hinrich. vet min signings of steimsma and kenyon martin. (notice the defensive theme of the signings).

opening day roster:

dwight-steimsma
    TJ-dmo-martin
    melo-thabo-garcia
    harden-daniels
    bev-kirk-canaan

we would be close to the LT, and assured of hitting it in the next year or two... but this team would win 64 games and possibly a championship or 3.

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Bolded and umm, wouldn't that be better than trading future picks?

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

While I agree that we are unlikely to use our 1st rd pick, I think something needs to be clarified.
    Morey cannot avoid the cap hit by simply drafting a Euro-stash player. Every 1st rounder has a cap hold associated with them the minute they are drafted.

In our case, the 25th pick will have a cap hold of $991K, regardless of his status with the team. To make matters worse, the cap hold comes into effect immediately upon drafting (as a safehold to ensure that the team won't spend their way out of the cap and the player will get paid.)

Bottom line: If we are serious about maximizing our cap, Morey will flip the pick (to the future, the 2nd rd or away in a package.)

References:
    http://www.cbafaq.com/scale2011.htm
    http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/draftpickcapholds.jsp

Note: the cap hit may actually be 120% of the cap hold ($1,189,200), depending upon the agreed terms

#31 shastarocket, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I predict that the Rockets will sign Emeka Okafor as a FA, to take over Asik's backup C role after we trade him away for assets or in a SnT for a max-level guy.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This..

14. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The Texan will not sign Vince Young even their current QB roster is a joke.

15. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Can't have mle and cap space

16. basketballholic

1. If we can trade those guys for cap space, we won't decline Parsons.

2. If we can trade those guys for cap space, we will exercise the option for Parsons and make a max contract offer to multiple guys starting with Lebron, then Bosh, then Dirk.

If we get down to Dirk, the contract offer will be for about $40 over 2 seasons with about $26 million guaranteed (1st year-$20 million guaranteed, second season $6 million guaranteed). This means we could waive Dirk after 1 year and still have enough cap space to sign either LaMarcus or Love in the summer of 2015. And it's a lot of dough for Dirk for basically 1 year (or 2 years if we keep him) of basketball. Would he take it for a chance to win rings over the next season or two? Mavs have around $32 million of cap space without Dirk. Is he going to take $5 million for one season to allow them to sign free agents? And who are they going to sign/acquire?

Kinda puts Dirk in a dilemma. He can get big bucks to walk away to a competitor. And it puts the heat on Cuban to have to field a championship contending team around Dirk quickly.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

^ I love the idea of the Rockets offering Dirk a super rich offer just to make Cuban look like an ass while only offering Dirk pennies. Of course Dirk will want to stay in Dallas, but it puts Cuban in a bad position. It looks bad and probably ultimately makes Cuban UP his offer to Dirk -- thus lowering their resource options to improve the team. ;-)

18. basketballholic

Yeah. But really..what Cuban will do in response will be offer Dirk a 1-year deal for around $6 million with a "wink-wink" deal to give him the max again in 2015.

So much for you guys that don't think "wink-wink" deals happen.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

you had me ALL the way until you said offer thabo the MLE. sorry not happening on morey's watch.

20. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

don't forget, Dwight post-ups. I think an offence of Melo+Harden Iso and Dwight Post-ups is at all bad. Those 3 earned it, with 3 of them, efficiency will be higher. Coaching just needs to install the discipline of not forcing/chucking it, if it's not your night, give it to the 2 guys.

Iso+Iso+Postup is a lock for Play-offs. McHale just need to mix it up with PnR and some plays for role players (3pts/slash/screen-drive), then we get the CHIP! :grin: