1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Friendly Reminder] Daylight Savings Time...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by 713, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

there's no need to spring 1 hour forward. so what sunrise is at 530 in the summer? it's just a consequence of longer daylight during those months.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

http://sleepbetter.org/Lost-Hour-Economic-Index/

DST cost Houston $8,591,542.00 from fatigue and sluggishness due to losing an hour of sleep.

Just put an end to this madness. If a Presidential hopeful ran on the platform of ending DST and spending the rest of his time in office working on yo-yo tricks, he would win 100% of the vote.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That being the case, then companies should forbid access to the Internet (unless work related). Much more money would be saved from that than from eliminating DST.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Apples and oranges. Some companies do ban non-work internet use, others don't. But there is no choice as to whether or not one can adapt to DST.

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Yeah, driving to work in with the sun right in my eyes now sucks.

Plus I haven't gotten used to the daylight in the evenings so I'm getting lost on when to prepare dinner. This is an outrage.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

No, it's not apples and oranges. If companies truly lose that much money due to DST, they lose much more due to other policies (or lack of policies) in place.

It's not that hard to adapt to DST. I guess companies should quit having folks travel across time zones. They should force employees to sleep 7-8 hours every night and not be at a bar until closing time or stay up late watching Monday Night Football.

If folks are THAT sluggish and need that much effort to recover from losing one hour of sleep, one day a year due to DST and it is costing their company money, then perhaps they should look for a different line of work.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It is apples and oranges, but let's leave that aside for now because if you can't see the difference between a policy put in place by a company and a policy forced upon all by a government, I can't help you.

The argument that "so what if it's bad, there are worse things out there" just isn't a good reason to keep DST. I'm sure there are greater productivity killers out there. Point taken. But there are no benefits from DST nowadays (if there ever were). It would be so simple to just stop it, so why don't we?

8. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

bumping this old thread for solidarity. who else hates that it gets dark at 5pm?

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Standard time sucks. It should be daylight saving time all the time.

10. Buck Turgidson

I don't need **** to get dark at 5:30pm.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Exactly.

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Since there’s absolutely no reason for us to be moving the clocks back and forth it’s no surprise we have to keep doing it. Just pick a time and stick with it, whichever one.

13. Sajan

Sajan Member

get used to it people.
    this is the "correct" time.
    i just wish we would stop moving the clock 1hr forward in the summer.

The powerful retail lobby, particularly recreation, bbq, and home and gardening remains invested in keeping DST. Longer nights mean people have more time to shop and go to baseball games (and use more gas—further cutting into the alleged energy savings). Downing says each year the convenience store lobby (a large supplier of gas) gives out gift bags to Congress to celebrate DST. He’s observed how every 20 years the federal government adds another month of DST—the last one in 2005, in part, because the sugar lobby wanted to extend trick or treating hours. And each time we extend DST, America becomes more out of sync with the rest of the world.

https://qz.com/636313/why-america-will-never-get-rid-of-day-light-saving/