1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Friday I'm In Love: Numbers the Documentary

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I don't remember a Mark working at Catal Huyuk. Maybe you're talking about Wes or Phil? They opened the place together then Wes pushed Phil out and made me his business partner, along with my longtime friends Tamarie and Claire and Wes's gf Stacey. And we comprised the whole staff after Phil left. Catal was an incredible club but very short-lived. In the years before it the building was The Axiom, the best punk club in Houston history. Catal only lasted about 2 years and it would have only been one year if my play premiering there didn't allow them to double bar sales by having people for the play at 9 and for bands around 11. After I had a falling out with Wes and all of us but Stacey walked out, the club lasted another month or two before Wes got the boot and it was rebranded as Harvey's Club Deluxe. The Catal years were like '92-'94. I premiered my play there in '93 and moved in to live there and book bands shortly after.

After Harvey's closed (maybe a year) it was rented out for raves and ultimately to an African-American trans bar. But they stopped paying rent and were evicted just as we were in the market for our own building.

I think it was 2001 when my company then (Infernal Bridegroom Productions) took over the building again and rechristened it The Axiom after its most successful/well-known iteration. IBP was in residence there until 2007 though I left Houston in 2003.

When I was asked to return I asked for financials and it was clear that this very healthy organization I'd left was bankrupt after 4 years of me being away and IBP had to close but I was asked to form a new company for the IBP artists and I did that in 2007 and that's The Catastrophic Theatre. But we had to say goodbye to that magical building, The Axiom (with all its other names), in 2007.

I wonder who Mark is. I think there was a guy named Mark that briefly ran the Axiom after its founder JR Delgado had to call it quits. He was only there for a few months before giving up. He had the deck out back built and almost as soon as he opened he closed and Wes took over. That was when it became Catal Huyuk.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

NIN opened up for The Jesus and Mary Chain at #'s in 1988. It seemed like they toured on that 1 album for years.

3. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

That's probably the Mark I'm thinking of - I had moved out of Houston by that time, so details around then are fuzzy for me. Not long after, Mark had a skate shop on Westheimer and then got in to throwing some rather large Raves under the "Scooby Doo Crew" moniker & thats the last time I saw him. I think he lives on a farm now. His last name started with a Z if I remember correctly

Batman Jones likes this.
  4. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Yes they are! I've went to San Diego, LA, Denver for the 09 tour. Also saw the Box of Birds tour in Chicago 1999, ATX for SXSW 2004 Forget Yourself where I talked to Marty before the show for a good hour about music. And then 2 shows in NYC in '11 that they played 3 Lp's start to finish; u#23, P=A and closed with Starfish. Just beyond epic, the best show I got to see from them. I skipped that recent tour, they played in Houston also but without Marty on lead guitar it's not the same. Those Peter Murphy show also had Tom Verlaine opening up and he'd come out and do a song for triple stacked guitars.

#24 Torn n Frayed, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    KingCheetah likes this.
  5. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Saw that tour in Austin, I was highly unimpressed at the time by NIN but I think I'd like them more now..

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I run into new music I like quite often. There seems to be something missing though from music these days a bit. I don't know if it is the Spotify/Pandora aspect. People not buying entire albums.

I mean what kid goes to a record store and buys Smashing Pumpkins, Siamese Dream, The Cure, Mixed Up, or Outkast Atliens goes home and listens to the album a million times over and over??

I just picked random (good in my opinion) albums.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Tried to introduce a young co-worker to this song and Front 242's Headhunter. He wasn't into it ... said it made him too anxious while coding. lol. I love putting those songs on repeat while working.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Ha! I was at that show, too. I shared a house with the lead guitarist (Chuck) of Cinco Dudes and rhythm guitar (Keith), who was my best friend at the time. Keith was the 5th member, which prompted them to change their name to Cinco Dudes. Prior to that they were Lyrical Cohesion. random trivia.

My favorite show there was Violent Femmes ... prior to Jerry Harrison ruining them.

Other big acts I recall: English Beat (awesome) and 4AD's Dead Can Dance (I was so hyped for that, but they really disappointed. As I recall, it was one of the bands that got pissed when they were explained that Numbers had a time limit on a Saturday for the acts, as they wanted to convert to DJ music by 11 or something. Dead Can Dance decided not to play much.)

DFWRocket likes this.
  9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I remember when I went there a while ago all the old guys were hitting on my GFs friends who were like 19-20 at the time.

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

Every child should be forced to purchase Siamese dream and listen to the entire thing. It would better our world.

11. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I think the group with whom we were most disappointed was My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult. For a band with that kind of name..they sure were boring.

12. Buck Turgidson

"Record Store?"

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

14. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

It'd be skinny puppy for me, worst show I've ever seen.

DFWRocket likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

I do miss wandering around Soundwaves, both the old and the newer location. Not many places you can say you bought albums, CDs and a Robert August surfboard at the same time.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I miss those places also. Although between not buying albums and not being a smoker for many years. That is a monthly cost that I am very glad I no longer have. Being in grad school and barely scraping by, it's nice to cut every expense that I can.

I still travel a lot, so I suppose that's where a lot of my money goes now. Also having a child can drain your finances for sure.

17. Buck Turgidson

Well, yeah, we were all in our 20's once.

Maybe twice.

18. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I saw so many great shows in Numbers, Front 242 multiple times, Headhunter tour era, Ministry multiple times land of rape and honey etc,, GWAR Scumdogs of the universe, KMFDM, Jesus and Mary Chain, Psychedelic furs... so many great shows. Was back there a year of so back for a Front 242 show and the place has barely changed only the faces are different, older, with a bunch of youngins mixed in. In our day it was all X and Acid floating around... from what I hear now days its a pharma crowd.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Fixed

20. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Saw the Replacements there in late 80s.

Torn n Frayed likes this.