1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Freezing temps therefore let faucets drip?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Tommyboy, Jan 7, 2010.

Tags:
  1. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

The pipes at my place must be much more insulated than those in Houston. I live in Northwest Arkansas, where it's only been above 20 once this week, with lows consistently in the single digits. I haven't had a single problem with freezing pipes at my place.

2. Castro

Castro Member

I just bursted my pipe.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

We had the exact same thing this morning. 2 hours ago a pipe burst in my attic and we have a major catastrophe at my house. TURN YOUR WATER OFF IMMEDIATELY!!!

What a disaster. :( :( :(

4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Different building codes in Houston. Since temps in the lower twenties/teens are rare, homebuilders don't have to have a higher grade of pipe/insulation. In my county, eventhough it's not a costal county, homes have to be built with wind/hurricane straps, that's probably not in the building codes up north. In 1989 it got to 7 degrees in Houston, my parents had a major pipe break as did most of our neighbors. When we moved and had a new home built my Dad paid a few thousand more in upgrades to get pipes installed that were rated for northern winters.

5. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

sorry to hear that. i have several friends here in austin who had something happen last night. i guess im lucky in that nothing burst - i just have no hot water.

i still cant get the pilot light lit (it sparks, but thats it) so ive given up and called the plumber, but they cant get out till monday. i was able to get a shower in w/ what was left, but it ran out. oddly, even though the water heater hasnt been on since this morning, i was just doing dishes and i had the hot water on and it was coming out hot.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For the homeowners. Even living in Houston you should still insulate your hot water pipes to save energy.

7. DreamRoxCoogFan

this morning an exposed pvc sprinkler pipe bust for us. Some cap flew off and water was gushing out. We were the first on the street to have this issue but more and more people had this problem throughout the day. We shut off the valve and water pressure was somewhat restored.

I have figured out that it is called a vacuum breaker, and the bonnet flew off. I know plumbers will be charging a ton to fix this within the next few days. The parts aren't at home depot- does anyone know where I can find the correct stuff and how to fix it?

8. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

<i>Google</i> (or your preferred <i>Search Engine</i>) is your friend.

Start here and then <i>Search</i> again (if needed) until you find what you need.

Sprinkler Warehouse

9. tmacyao111

tmacyao111 Member

same with me...woke up with no water. It was frozen at the main valve so i took a hair dryer to unfreeze it. But later in that day my sprinkler system pipe busted out of no where. Had to turn off the valve for that one.

10. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

Yep let me join in too, pipes have also burst, good thing a friend was able to fix it since it's a weekend...note to self: don't be cheap and let the water run pencil width next time :)

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

same here!! It was the sprinkler system, and as other posters pointed out they had the same problem.

My condolences to the person that had it burst in the attic, that must have been hell.

12. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Ditto here in OK. Dipped below zero a few times and still no issues with pipes freezing at all. People hardly even mention stuff like that around here. Guess it comes with being used to it.

13. updawg

updawg Member

You guys with broken sprinkler pipes - did you not turn your sprinklers off ahead of time?

14. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

keep the cold pipes open..

15. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Same thing happened to my sprinkler system - some cap came off of the top of the pipe where the water pipe comes up out of the ground and then goes back in. I turned off the flow valve, but now I have to fix the dang thing.

16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Sorry to hear from everyone whose pipse have burst during this freeze. Hope you'll get those repaired quickly and cheaply!

My neighbor's vacuum cap on his sprinkler line also popped off and water was shooting up like a geiser. My backyard neighbor saw it and thought it was mine but it was actually my side neighbor. Nobody was home so I went back there and turned off his sprinkler valve. Luckily I had turned mine off after receiving a voicemail from the City of Pearland advising us to shut off the water to sprinkler systems.

Good luck to everyone with burst pipes and hopefully the warmup helps...

17. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

This has been the first time I'm happy I don't have a sprinkler system.

18. tmacyao111

tmacyao111 Member

my sprinkler system itself has been off for a while...but the water valve for it was still open.