1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis to begin practice!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by QdoubleA, Oct 18, 2008.

1. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6065425.html

Francis ‘getting there’

Steve Francis rejoined the Rockets on Friday for the day’s shootaround and plans to go through his first full practice of the preseason today.

“I’m definitely going to practice ,” said Francis, who’s trying to come back from quadriceps surgery on his right knee . “I feel good. I’m ready to play. That’s been the main concern, the day after practice. We’ll see how it feels as far as the pain.”
    Ready for some football

The Rockets Olympians, Yao Ming and Luis Scola, will be honored at halftime of the Texans’ game on Sunday along with other local Olympians. Halftime, however, might be the only time Yao or Scola know what is going on.

“I have no understanding of football,” Yao said. “I watch the highlights. They are very physical, very interesting in highlights. But in highlights, every sport looks very interesting.”

Asked why he agreed to be part of that ceremony, Yao said, “To see a football game.”

Scola went to two games last season as part of his determination to experience as much local flavor as possible. But he said his expertise is only slightly greater than Yao’s.
    Time sensitive

Friday ended a stretch of four games in six nights, and sent the Rockets into a stretch of a practice time that Rick Adelman said will be like a second training camp.

Adelman was critical of this season’s preseason schedule and general manager Daryl Morey said that next season, the Rockets will have a preseason schedule as front-loaded with games, but with more road back-to-backs to open up more practice days without travel and with no trip further than Indianapolis.

“Both ends of the court, we’re going to take this like the start of training camp again,” Adelman said. “We evaluated the team and see where we are. Now we really need to work on things these next two weeks. Not two-a-days but we’re going to go longer than they might anticipate.”

2. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

I hope he REHABS fully til' the start of the season.

3. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

FINALLY,

but after watching Brooks' play in the past three games, I've reshuffled my pg lineup:

Rafer
    Aaron
    Stevie
    (no love lost for SF, but I don't think he can surpass AB now)

THAT lineup is becoming a lethal weapon...and if SF can come back to anywhere close to his once shining star, good god.

But wait, we still have Tracy and Brent picking up slack.

Just sick, SICK I tell you!

Come on Francis, IT'S RING TIME!

(isn't it cool to be soooo pumped about a season?)

4. Pringles

Pringles Member

Brooks has exceptionally play well lately.

Rafer is a little worse than last season, but it maybe because he is rusty.

Now, if Steve is anywhere close to being productive, Rick will find ways. :)

I don't think I ever remember Rick having a dog house.

5. Ashes

Ashes Member

Cool?

Unless he just got back from a trip from the year 2000, I doubt we'll see anything that will help us.

6. Bigdaddy210121

I'm a big Francis fan, but i don't see how he can crack in to the rotation. Coach is know for running a 8 - 9 man rotation and staying with it untilit fails. If you go with a 9 man you have this:
    Yao
    Scola
    Artest
    T-Mac
    Alston
    Battier
    Barry
    Landry
    Brooks

So unless Brooks or Alston flop hard this year it's going to be hard for Francis to make it. I would love for Coach to go with a 10 - 11 man rotation so everyone can keep the mins down until playoffs. It worked for the Spurs last year! :cool:

7. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Giving Brooks his due he should establish himself as the backup PG. He has looked amazingly solid that last 3 games.

All is good though with Francis at least starting to get into practice and after this week we should have a good indication of what he can do and when he can get back with good play.

Exciting to say the least.

8. dlite316

dlite316 Member

come back stevie franchise

9. mrdan

mrdan Contributing Member

IT'S TIME

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Steve is past his prime and as much as I'd like to see him contribute for Nostalgia's sake, I'd rather we just win games.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm not optimistic about Francis ...

More importantly, I think these next two weeks are going to be crucial for the team. They'll have plenty of practice days, and this is when they need to get themselves in that zone. This is where it all begins.

12. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

this news has aroused me sexually

13. metalshred

metalshred Member

Glad to know Steve is finally coming back!

Though we don't yet know what his return would bring to the team, or whether he'll make a spot on the roster this season, either way i'm excited about it and can't wait to see him on court.

As much as i don't believe it myself but i have a feeling that Steve is going to surprise a lot of the fans who think he's done, but it's just a feeling.

14. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

FYI, cool was in reference to being pumped about the season as a whole, not just SF possible come back.

I bet when we need him, he'll be there ready to help, and we'll ALL love him for it.

15. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

maybe we can replace luther with steve at times and hav steve with arron on the court at the same time

16. SeeingRocketRed

All the people up top on the side and the middle
    Come together lets all bomb and swamp just a little
    Just let it gradually build from the front to the back
    All you can see is a sea of people some white and some black
    Don't matter what color, all that matters is we WEAR RED together
    To celebrate for the same cause don't matter the weather
    If it rains let it rain, yea the wetter the better
    They ain't gonna stop us they can't, we stronger now more than ever
    They tell us no we say yea, they tell us stop we say go
    All the haters hate Francis, we gonna let em know:

WE WANT STEVE. WE WANT STEVE. WE WANT STEVE. WE WANT STEVE.

17. Clutch34

Clutch34 Member

I can't recall his exact words, but Bull mentioned to Worell during last nights game that coach was considering
    a 10 man rotation and when asked about it, Battier said he had that at Memphis and it allowed the players to play harder
    knowing they would get some rest during the game. Hope coach goes with at least a 10 man rotation.

18. Title99

Title99 Contributing Member

My heart tells me I'd love to see Francis come back and contribute to a championship, but my mind tells me he is done. Stick a fork in him!

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Steve will be needed. The reason we have such a deep bench is because they might have to step up at any time, and on the Rockets, yes, they will.

We are going to have injuries, it's almost a tradition.

Still, this team is gelling nicely without its stars.

20. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Best of luck to the Franchise!