1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis the next Cassell? W*T*F

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doc, May 14, 2000.

1. Doc

Doc Member

This joker says Francis could become the
    next Sam Cassell????? He's better now in
    my opinion and will become much better in
    the future. Where is this jokers head?

chek it here at OnHoops site.
    http://www.onhoops.com/content/articles/May2000/royalscam.html

------------------
    "I don't think I'm better than anybody unless I'm on the court."
    Charles Barkley

2. TraJ

TraJ Member

I think Rudy's quote from the press conference says it all:

"He has accomplished so many things this season. Steve was only the seventh rookie to average over 15 points, five rebounds and five assists per game. The other guys that did that were Oscar Robertson, Michael Jordan, Grant Hill, Alvan Adams, Anfernee Hardaway and Magic Johnson. He ranked in the top five in his NBA class in all nine categories charted by the league. Steve also led all NBA guards in offensive rebounding and he led the Rockets in points, assists and steals, becoming the first rookie to do that and only the fourth Rockets player ever to accomplish the feat. He averaged 26.8 points, 7.5 assists, and 6.5 rebounds in six games against Gary Payton and Jason Kidd, two members of this year's all-defensive team. It gives me great pleasure to announce that Steve Francis joins Elton Brand as the 1999-2000 Schick Co-Rookies of the Year."

------------------

3. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

What a looooser. You can tell off the bat that he didn't watch a single Rockets game and went strictly by the numbers to prove nothing. "The best power forward in the east", that just shows you how weak the east is and if Steve Francis was in the east he would easily be the best point guard there. I want to see Brand in the west and see how he does. Idiot.

------------------
    www.rocketzone.web.com

4. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Like all of you, I think the writer is off-base in what he wrote, but I also think it would be kind of cool if Steve got to read a lot of these articles this summer. Talk about motivation.

Also, why would the writer compare Francis to Cassell? Kidd is almost universally considered better than Cassell, and Francis' rookie numbers look better than Kidd's rookie #s IMO. Cassell's weren't close to as good as either.

------------------

5. D.R.E.A.M

D.R.E.A.M Member

well...i have alot of respect for Cassel and his game. he's developed so much ever since leaving Houston. but honestly, i think that Francis has already exceeded or atleast equalled Sam's game. Francis, with no doubt, is on his way to All-Star, Superstar, and probably even Dream team spotlights. Sam Cassel has yet to make the All Star game!

------------------
    Dream's Team!

6. Carlos Rogers

Carlos Rogers Member

Well said D.R.E.A.M [​IMG]

------------------
    Walt the Wizard Williams. "The aging Terrapin from Maryland"

7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

"honestly, i think that Francis has already exceeded or atleast equalled Sam's game. Francis, with no doubt, is on his way to All-Star, Superstar, and probably even Dream team spotlights. Sam Cassel has yet to make the All Star game!"

Man. A guy can't get any love on this BBS! Sammy's role as a rookie (on a championship team) was COMPLETELY different from Steve's role this year (the franchise player on a non-contender). Yes, Francis was 21 this year and will get MUCH better. But give ET his props. He led that team to the playoffs (nearly upsetting Indiana) and finished 2nd in the league in assists (while having fewer turnovers than Francis). Yes, Steve is going to be awesome some day, has some serious skilz, but he has a ways to go before he is any of those things you mentioned.

BTW Cassell was robbed when he didn't make the all-star game this year.

------------------

8. D.R.E.A.M

D.R.E.A.M Member

OK SC....i agree with you. Cassell WAS robbed indeed when he missed the All Star game. and Francis DOES have a long way until he reaches any of whta i mentioned. but the point is, Sam STILL doesn't have that much respect for his game. he should be, with no doubt, an ALL-Star. and that "joker" whoever he is made it sound like Francis will only grow up to be compared to a Non-All Star. Cassell's a great player, and i have all the respect in the world for him.

------------------
    Dream's Team!

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Thanx D.R.E.A.M. I can feel the love. I agree with you on your initial point - Cassell has hit his peak (a damn good PG who should make an allstar game or 2). If that's all we get out of Francis I would be shocked - he could / should be the best PG in the game in 4 or 5 years, a Dream Teamer, etc. and to sell him as "the next Cassell" is shortsighted.

------------------

10. Doc

Doc Member

I believe once Steve gets some more experience with his team and especially the NBA he will accelerate past Cassell so far it will be like having Magic as your point guard over Charlie Ward...case closed.How many years does Cassell have,something like
    six or seven, put that kind of experience on
    Francis and if he isn't a SuperStar with at least one ring then the Rockets should be looking for draft picks.

------------------
    "I don't think I'm better than anybody unless I'm on the court."
    Charles Barkley

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The writer ascribes to an all-too-prevalent conspiracy theory that asserts that the NBA are choosing the award-winners to achieve some self-interested ends. The ROY was voted for by journalists. The NBA did not pick Francis, Brand, Kidd, and Hill, the journalists did.

------------------