1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis suspended one game for missed flight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by morganmanor, Feb 2, 2004.

1. New Jack

New Jack Member

I hope the Rockets get in touch with Francis. Have a long talk with him and find out what is going on in his personal life. Don’t make the same mistakes they made with Eddie by just giving him a slap on the wrist and going back to doing things the way they have.

His lack of focus on the court this season has just been astonishing and very similar to the way Eddie used to play. This really feels like de ja vu all over again.

It used to be the reason Steve turned the ball over so much was because he was trying to take on five defenders by himself. Turnovers forced by the defense.

This season, however, his turnovers have been due to just carelessness and a complete lack of focus. He’s bouncing the ball off his foot, traveling with the ball, throwing the ball into the crowd. These are all unforced turnovers. Not to mention the countless blown lay-ups or dunks and missed wide open jumpers.

There’s something going on, and unlike most here I don’t think the reason has simply been because he’s adjusting to Van Gundy’s system. His mind has not been on basketball this season.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

That's a reach, and unwarranted IMO.

SF was (apparently) very wrong and is being punished -- right after JVG called his guys out. I hope this isn't a step to JVG losing the team, and SF being lost with it.

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Steve obviously struggles in a new role all season, Steve scores big for the first time in a while, goes to the locker room and hears that JVG called out the top 6 for having no heart......

Coincidence?

Cat will start.

If Amare doesn't play (which I don't think he will), my bet is Yao has a big game and the Rox win. Enter drama and a lot of new threads by the Steve-haters.

Evan

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

He missed a flight? OMG, the world is coming to an end!! I know it's probably not the best time to miss a flight, but calm down. NBA players make mistakes, it happens. Everyone from Jordan to Garnett has been suspended for multiple reasons.

I do agree that the Rockets need to talk with ALL PLAYERS, not just SF. The Rockets seemed a little disorganized, and not on the same page. Once again, it's not just SF. Cat and Cato haven't been playing well at all lately, and Yao has stunk it up since his 37 pointer at Orlando.

5. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Sadly so am i. JVG just called out the team, saying they played with no heart. Then the hung over franchise player misses a team flight to one of the most important games of the year. Pathetic, truly pathetic.

6. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

last 2 players who missed a flight, arent with the team.

tito and eddie. hope this wont be a trend.

7. shawn786

shawn786 Member

If he was in a accident or somthing seriuse theres no way JVG would have susended him... Theres somthing else behind this story; my guess is he was probably to intoxicated to know what was going on ;)

8. forenzi

forenzi Contributing Member

this is actually good news, the rockets will have another reason to trade him. Stevie is holding this team back. They can trade him for a first round draft pick as far as i am concerned.

9. mknowles

mknowles Member

10. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1725475

HOUSTON -- Houston Rockets guard Steve Francis, the team's leading scorer, was suspended for one game for missing a flight to Phoenix Sunday night.

The Rockets issued a statement saying Francis would not be with the team for its game against the Suns Monday. Rockets spokesman Nelson Luis said the team would have no additional comment.

Francis leads the Rockets with a 16.6 scoring average and 5.9 assists per game.

Hmmm...usually, a team spokesman will issue some obligatory "personal reasons" statement or something...

TBC...

11. MLC1MGC2ALC3

MLC1MGC2ALC3 Member

TRADE HIM !

Houston trades: C Kelvin Cato (6.2 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 1.0 apg in 27.7 minutes)
    PG Steve Francis (16.6 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 5.9 apg in 39.7 minutes)
    Houston receives: C Erick Dampier (11.9 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 0.7 apg in 32.0 minutes)
    PG Nick Van Exel (13.4 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 5.9 apg in 34.1 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +2.5 ppg, +0.9 rpg, and -0.3 apg.

Golden State trades: C Erick Dampier (11.9 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 0.7 apg in 32.0 minutes)
    PG Nick Van Exel (13.4 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 5.9 apg in 34.1 minutes)
    Golden State receives: C Kelvin Cato (6.2 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 1.0 apg in 45 games)
    PG Steve Francis (16.6 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 5.9 apg in 46 games)
    Change in team outlook: -2.5 ppg, -0.9 rpg, and +0.3 apg.

:mad:

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

conscious indifference...he could absolutely not care less. that is really, really disappointing from a guy who claims he wants to be the team leader and go-to guy.

13. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Feb. 2, 2004, 1:36PM

Super Bowl decision costs Rockets' Francis
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

PHOENIX -- Houston Rockets guard Steve Francis was suspended for tonight's game against the Phoenix Suns for skipping the team flight to Phoenix Sunday so he could attend the Super Bowl at Reliant Stadium

Rockets' head coach Jeff Van Gundy said Francis "made a bad decision to miss the plane, to go the Super Bowl without telling me."

"He made a decision, I feel it was the wrong one. I made a decision based on his decision," Van Gundy said of the one-game suspension.

Francis, selected to start a third consecutive All-Star game, is averaging 16.6 points, 5.9 assists, and 5.6 rebounds per game. He will be replaced in the Rockets starting lineup by veteran guard Mark Jackson.

Oh so it was going to see the game.... I think JVG is puttiing down the law here saying he didnt ask me. Thumbs up to JVG by me :)
    Good find on the artical mknowles

14. feishen

feishen Member

The suspension is definetely not because of miss of flight. SF wants to quit, that's how I read it. He missed it purposedly to show up JVG.

15. nyofan

nyofan Member

If Mobley's stupideness can be contained little bit, Rox will sure get a win tonite. I foresee that Yao Ming will perform above par, but the main factor is that bench players step up big.

16. pchan

pchan Member

it's like loving the wrong girl, what're you going to do now?

17. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

dude, JVg did not suspend him just cause he went to the superbowl without asking. the team flight left sunday evening. Steve Francis chose to go to the superbowl instead of heading to phoenix with the rest of team. Thats why JVG is suspending him.

#57 Texas Stoke, Feb 2, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2004
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

How do you know he doesn't care? In five freakin years the guy gets suspened once by the team and you claim he doesn't care. I'm not defending him in this particular situation but you have shown recently that you are quick to judge people on just a small number of incidents.

19. leemc1945

leemc1945 Member

I'VE SPENT MY LAST $$$$ AT ROCKET GAMES.....
    these overpaid superstar wannabes make me sick.....
    mobley saying he wants to be on billboards,a movie star, francis losing his game totally,being so jealous of yao that they refuse to pass him the ball. since the 37 pt game he has gotten no passes from these 2 in scoring position...as long as cat and THE FRANCHISE, are here I'm not interested in following the rockets. I've been a fan since they came here from SD..I've gone to hoffienz to see kevin kunnert amnd abdul aziz play, at least they hustled ...this team will never win as long as francis and mobley are the backcourt buddies that rule the team..wish jvg would grow some balls and send them packing...

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Why would the Rockets schedule the flight to Phoenix during the Super Bowl with the game in Houston? They could have allowed the players to go to the game and flown over this morning. That's like denying kids candy on Halloween.