1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis or Brand? Chicago Article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, Jun 11, 2000.

Tags:
  1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. DaFranchise

DaFranchise Member

That was great to read, and also said what I have always said and thought:

We need another superstar to pair with Francis. And Francis can play with anyone because of his all-around game, so any superstar will do. No Croshere and Mike Miller. Yes Duncan(or Hill or Rose or McGrady or Webber or whoever) and Miles. (I know we may not be able to land any of those free agents, but at least take a shot using the exception.)

------------------

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

hehehe

the guy said Francis can play defense. damn did i miss something?

------------------
    MANGO - Get in my BELLAY!

4. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was written by a fan, which doesn't say much in the form of legitimacy by the Chicago Media.

------------------

5. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Man, no superstar's going to come here for the exception, try as the team might. I doubt anyone questions how great it would be to have a superstar to pair with Francis. Trouble is getting one.

------------------

6. DaFranchise

DaFranchise Member

I don't mean the 2.5 exception, I mean the trade exception. That's 4.5 Million+ whatever we give the other team in the sign-and-trade. So if it's Walt, that means the free agent gets 9 Million.

------------------

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I didnt know Vince was a Bulls fan!

*snicker *snicker

I have to disagree with you DaF. While it would be great to get a superstar, it is not going to be that easy. That exception only works in a sign and trade, and I doubt any team is gonna help us. SA is not gonna trade Duncan to the ROcks for Walt. Ditto for the Pistons. Or Indianna. Even if it is Walt or nothing, Im pretty sure the teams would choose nothing. Likewise for almost everyone on the Rockets roster, except for Francis, who BETTER NOT be traded.

So the next best thing to do is to surround Francis with players who can PLAY, like Miller and Croshere. Please get Pig, Devin Grey, and Los off the court. And improve Cato.

------------------
    I have a special purpose.

8. DaFranchise

DaFranchise Member

I never said it would be easy but it isn't impossible Crisco. Also, I was just using Walt as an example. If you did Walt and KT, maybe not the Spurs but I think the Pistons and Pacers would listen. And if you got Duncan, Cato would be expendable, so there's the way to maybe get SanAn to agree. I don't THINK this will happen, I am just explaining how it could happen.

Gray needs to go, but Pig and Los bring one great thing to the table: HUSTLE. They are scrappers, and great insurance for injuries.

------------------

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

True, just color me dubious. The only star player I think the Rockets have a good chance at getting is Webber next year. And a lot of things would have to happen for my dream scenario to work out alrite. Of course the Rockets should put their offers on the table, but I dont think those teams are going to really listen to them. So I say the Rockets should go after those non-star-but-good-players until the Rocks can land another star.

Los and Pig do bring hustle, but I would like to bring someone off the bench that can hustle, AND score a little. I dont want to cut them, but I would like to bring in someone to take away some of their minutes.

See - I post seriously sometimes [​IMG]

------------------
    What do you get when you cross a dinosaur with fireworks?

[This message has been edited by CriscoKidd (edited June 12, 2000).]

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

yes good article as i stated in my topic
    Chicago paper nails it

------------------
    Proud owner of 271 different Hakeem Olajuwon Basketball cards

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what about when Los and Pig are injured themselves?

Answer to Crisco's signature-exploding dinosaurs?

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

12. DaFranchise

DaFranchise Member

Wow, Crisco, you aren't bad when you're serious. [​IMG]

I like Los and Pig as 3rd stringers, because of their hustle and the fact that both can play the 3 or 4. Los also showed some signs of scoring ability last year before injuries ruined his season.

Superstars win championships, and unfortunately they aren't easy to come by. So do whatever it takes, the depth will figure itself out by the time the Rockets become legitimate contenders. So forget about the Croshers and Grants and focus on landing a big gun, and if you fail, try again next year.

Also, you can't have to many good-but-not-star players. Young guys are looking for personal accolades as well as championships, and a guy that could average double figures starting somewhere else would not agree to come off the bench just for a title shot in a few years. Portland has made it work because they have mostly veterans, not young guys trying to emerge in this league.

------------------