1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis last night

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TeXaSalsa, Feb 23, 2000.

1. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

I hate to say it but i disagree with clutch. i dont think francis played well at all. sure his stats were nice, but he did many things taht left a sour taste in my mouth about his performance.

- He shot 3-4 3's very quickly like 2-3 ft beyond the arc, making only one this includes the end of the game

- He settled only for outside shots most of the time, charlotte is not that great of a shot blocking team, and he could have penetrated and drived picking up fouls/and or a basket. he if im correct hardly went to the line at all

- He did not play that great D
    - It seems he tried to win the game all by himself. to me it seems he forgot it was a team game.

i know i will proly take alot of heat for this , and while he did have his moments i did not think it was one of his better games.

ill agree with clutch on kenny T who was awesome.

------------------
    --TEX

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Tex

We'll be in the Heat together
    because I thought at the end
    He jacked up some f*cked up 3s

not to mention That Wesley was able to come
    of the f*cking pick and drill that
    15 ~20 ft jumper all night

I notice in the east . . THEY PICK ALOT!
    I watched Reggie Miller go against Iverson
    and the whole game was the 2 of them running
    in circles. I think West Guard play more
    north south
    while Easter Guards are the East West types
    [Open court vs Half court game]

We need to learn what to do off
    that silly pick. or Francis needs
    to fight through a whole lot better

Rocket River

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

He settled only for outside shots most of the time, charlotte is not that great of a shot blocking team

Charlotte is #7 in the league in blocked shots.

4. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Didn't Francis have like 3 or 4 dunks last night? And a sweet reverse. How many more times in a game should he be dunking, that he's being doubled?

The man had a terrific game, and still shot just about 50%. Not to mention he was one of the top rebounders, leading assist man, and top steals (I believe) last night? What else do you want?

5. TeXaSalsa

For him to realize at the end of games he has 4 other teammates.

For him not to put up silly 2 foot back 3s in crucial situation

For him to act like a leader and get his team the W

sorry is that too much dreamshake?

stats are pretty but its not the same as a WIN.

------------------
    --TEX

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

For him to realize at the end of games he has 4 other teammates.
    For him not to put up silly 2 foot back 3s in crucial situation
    For him to act like a leader and get his team the W
    sorry is that too much dreamshake?
    stats are pretty but its not the same as a WIN.

For the love of GOD! He is a freaking rookie carrying a team on his back. While Lamar Odom has just about given it up in Los Angelos, Francis has kept us respectable and given us a chance in every game. What more do you want from him? Do you want him to drive to the basket and dunk every time he gets the ball? He is a rookie trying to learn the point guard position, while getting his own shots at the same time. Perhaps you overlooked the 8 assists and 6 rebounds he found time to collect while scoring 24 points, and bringing the team back from a double-digit deficit, early in the 2nd quarter.

[This message has been edited by thacabbage (edited February 23, 2000).]

7. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

All I can say is he didn't play a perfect game.

That being said, who can have a perfect game in the NBA?

Stevie is the man!!! [​IMG]

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He will learn, but since we are not going anywhere this year, I want him to make mistakes in the clutch THIS year, and learn how to win.

DaDakota

9. Dreamshake

Absolutely unpleasable.

And to think that I have a reputation of being too hard on the Rox players and coaching staff.

10. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Francis is the only player to lead his team in Points(874) Rebounds(258) Assists(343) Steals(72). That was from the HoustonChronicle.com

Isn't that just horrible. This Francis kid is just not a team player, is he?

11. djones

djones Member

It was not Steve's fault for Wesley coming off the picks for the clear shots. It is his "team-mate's" resposibility to recognize the pick and side over to cover the man(basketball 101). So don't jump on the man for his defensive efforts last night. I would like to see anyone complaining come off a D. Coleman pick at Steve's size running full steam ahead. please!

12. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

texasalsa,

I didn't think K. Thomas was 'awesome'.

I watched on several occassions where when the man he was guarding went to shoot and he did't even bother to put one much less two hands up. That's one thing that really irritates me. It shows a total lack of effort on the defensive side ot the ball.

He had a good offensive game, but defensively he was below average.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

13. Robjos

Robjos Member

Steve Francis is a rookie... he is still learning... for that matter he will make some mistakes.. but not all is bad... through mistakes you learn.. and Francis is without a doubt becoming one of the best point guards on the league... You guys have to understand that when a player does what steve did it is because of confidence... i like stevie allot.. and i think that right now he is the heart of this team... and without him.. we`d be worse than the clippers if that is possible...

------------------
    Robjos The Key To The Future

[This message has been edited by Robjos (edited February 24, 2000).]

14. Robjos

Robjos Member

Jesus dont you think youre asking to much.. let him play the game... he knows it better than you and he know the choices he has to make. Its his call.

15. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

I think most every post in this thread has valid points, including Texsalsa. Stevie is a freaking rookie. In a few years, he will be a basketball god. Right now, he is a god in training. With the season shot, it really is a good time for him to learn. If the Rocks were in some kind of tight race, his mistakes would be magnified so much, it may inhibit his game. I think Stevie probably puts enough pressure on himself to win to benefit from any mistakes he may make in this, his rookie season.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

I like the three's he took. One rimmed in and out. And on the game tying three he got a good look at the shot. I believed he'd make it and if he did flip the net it would have changed the game. If he's going to be the man on this team, then he needs to be taking those shots with confidence. He took em. Like Jordan has always said, you people forget all the ones I missed, but remember the shots I make. You can argue all you want about his shot selection, but it seems to me that Steve Francis is taking the big shots. And that's half the battle right there.

By the way, have you noticed that almost all of the Rockets are using the jab step. Who started doing that on our team first. Was it Mobes? It's been affective and relaible to create some space. I think Glenn Rice uses it the most.

17. haven

haven Member

True, but there's one problem with your argument. Michael was a 2, Francis is a 1. If Francis wanted to be a 2, he could have been... but being a PG entails specific responsibilities... notably, getting your teammates involved, making them better... and if that means that someone else has a better chance to win the game, Francis must learn to pass.

18. Dreamshake

heypartner...Please make note of where I
    said I didn't watch the Charlotte game.
    I most certainly did watch the game, and
    surely wouldn't comment otherwise.

That said. Its ludicrous to me that it
    seems that if a player misses a shot, it
    becomes a bad shot selected. I saw those
    3's, and didn't think they were that bad
    of shots. Its not like if Steve would of
    passed to Mobley, it wouldn't of been any
    different a shot. Or if he passed it to
    Hakeem who looked absolutely miserbale
    out there.

I tried to stick to the points made.
    Salsa claimed Francs didn't get to the
    Rack enough. Hogwash. He had like 4
    dunks, and a very nice reverse. Not off
    of breaks. How many more times in a game
    can someone beat the double team? How
    many more dunks does he need before he
    qualifies to be going the hole enough?
    He hi about 50 percent last night. He
    got players involved by dishing out 8
    assists, he hit the boards, he picked off
    a few steals. All while getting 24
    points.

My god. He played a wonderful game. I
    really think that alot of people are
    counting a missed 3 as a bad shot.

Heck I have much more a problem with
    Mobley, who took some 3's with about 4
    seconds off of the shot clock. Took a
    looping drive jump sideways fadeaway, and
    absolutely can't finish on the iso's he
    gets.(actually this was one of his better
    games at finishing some of those iso's)
    So he jacks up those silly 18 footers,
    with a man draped on him.

There's no questioning Steve's great
    game. Mistakes can be had and still have
    a great game.

19. Houston Rocks

Houston Rocks Member

Why doesn't Steve listen to Calvin Murphy and try a few more of the "stop n pop". A few of those and we might have pulled out a win, just like in the 2nd San Antonio game. The 3's are worth more , but Steve has a MUCH better chance of making the 10 - 16 foot jumper.

[This message has been edited by Houston Rocks (edited February 24, 2000).]

20. TeXaSalsa

Thx heypartner and haven appreciate it.

i dont why you guys think i think steve sucks. he is damn good and is the best choice for ROY. im just sayin clutch put Rookies Shine in loss, i really disagree be

To everyone else
    being a rookie isnt that great of an excuse to make mistakes, the season is almost up, all i am saying is he should have made better decisions down the stretch, and everyone acts like he played such a great game when he in my opinion played pretty foolishly down the stretch.

TheCabbage
    "For the love of GOD! He is a freaking rookie carrying a team on his back"
    thats the problem he cant do everything by himself. for the most part he does a great job leading and carrying the team.but he has to remember the other 4 guys down the stretch.

Dreamshake
    Im unpleasable? please. francis is more talented than almost every PG in the league, its time for him to show he has the smarts better tahn everyone else too. yah he is a rookie but so what he knows better he has played bball for years. its not as if tonight was the first close game he has ever been in.

yah francis played very well for most of the game, i just wish he would have made better decisions at the end. but clutch's recap if u asked me made him out to have an MVP performance. when i feel some of the blame for the loss should go to him. dont argue that he took some ill advised shots because he did. he should have been looking to set up the offense and make something happen.

just my 2cents stop taking it so seriously its just a game

------------------
    --TEX