1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis is leading the league !!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Feb 25, 2002.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

2. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

His turnovers have really gone up since he came back from the foot injury. It seems like his headaches are really affecting his decisionmaking. I think he looks a little confused this season. He's regressed from last year in that department. Hopefully, he will improve if he gets the headaches under control.

3. DaDakota

Wink,

Nice first post....I am known around here as a Mobley and Francis pragmatist.

I meant this as a bit of a sarcastic look.

I think Steve is great, just needs to take the simple play a little more often then the fancy one.

DD

4. haven

haven Member

Actually, you're known as a Francis/Mobley pessimist. You may think of yourself as a pragmatist, but most others do not.

Pimp your games... not yourself ;).

5. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Francis does have more turnovers than he SHOULD, but I don't think he's really that bad at all.

HOWEVER, he has had some really high turnover games lately, but I think everyone can agree that this is because of the headaches.

6. red

red Contributing Member

how many of his "turnovers" were a result of cato and "stone hands" willis not catching his passes...

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

From 1992 - 1995, arguably the best years of his career, Hakeem Olajuwon averaged 3.5 turnovers per game.

When you have the ball in your hands a lot and are required to not only handle it and score but distribute as well, you are going to have turnovers.

Francis needs to bring that number down, but if he is career around 3, it wouldn't surprise me that much.

8. Timing

Timing Member

Steve isn't a point guard, it's as simple as that.

9. treeman

treeman Member

Yes he is, like it or not.

Is he a better 2 guard than a point guard? Probably. But he's also a PG...

10. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Francis is careless at times; sometimes he tries too hard. But, I think alot of his TO's are hustle plays where he may have possession on a steal and then step out of bounds. I am biased as hell though. Maybe this team is better off without Steve.

11. Timing

Timing Member

Yes he is, as in yes he's penciled in to play point guard however Francis is a scorer, not a playmaker. If we actually ran an offense with plays it would be even more evident I believe.

12. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

So Timing do you believe if we can get Williams in the draft we should take him and move Stevie to the 2 and Mobley to the 6th man? If not who should move to PG if the Rockets were to move Francis to the 2? Please tell me that you don't think Moochie should fill the spot.

13. Miggidy Markell

To say Steve is not a play-maker makes me laugh. I say we get back our "true" point guards, like Matt Maloney and Scott Brooks to stop the complaining... :rolleyes:

14. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Timing is a firm beleiver that Cat should be benched or traded. Afterall, Cat's shooting % is horrendous. That's his opinion.

Steve's not a playmaker? As one example, how do you account for Cato's rise is scoring recently? I've got a theory. Steve.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think his high to's has a lot to do with the situations he's put in. The object of Rudy T's system is to get into the teeth, and kick which i don't like. You have Francis and someone playing pnr, the defense is sagging the whole time, so if he penetrates , he runs into defenders most times. My main gripe is the defense know where to retreat to after the kick because of stationary players. I think if those players would cut or backside action with double sceens or something, the defense would keep such a keen eye on him thus allowing him to get to the rach against less players.

16. DaDakota

Haven,

One man's pragmatist is another man's pessimist.

Oh well, whatever, it is splitting hairs.

;)

Now, on to the topic...JEFF, great post I was unaware of Hakeem averaging that many TO a game. Makes you think.

By the way for those of you who think Mobley can not shoot, does it suprise you to know that Francis is .001 better then Mobley this year?

I think they are both GREAT players, but need to settle down a bit.

They try too hard, and that is something that they will learn in time. It took Hakeem 7-8 years to learn to pass out of a double team, let's hope that Mobes and Francis are quicker studies.

DD

PS. This post is purely from my perspective. :)

#16 DaDakota, Feb 26, 2002
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2002
  17. Evil Beaver

Evil Beaver Member

He used to be the turnover king when he was a rookie. What is his excuse now?

18. cson

cson Contributing Member

Hey DaDakota- What are are these"monkeys" and "apes" that you speak of?

19. haven

haven Member

Also makes you think when you see that Andre Miller is among the league leaders in turnovers.

Francis turns it over too much... but he's always going to be a high-turnover type player. When you handle the ball that much, and try to create for yourself as well as teammates... it'll happen.

I don't remember who it was, but someone on this board used to talk about how great players "lock in" on the basket. I think this is true. Remember how awkward hakeem used to look, if one of his moves didn't fool the man guarding him? He looked like a fish out of water when he dished it back out in that situation.

Francis and Mobley are like that as well. A good player, like Terrell Brandon, might be aware of the entire court to a better extent... but I don't think he's capable of "locking in" to the same extent.

Of course, maybe I'm just saying this to justify the fact taht Hakeem, Francis, and Mobley all have high turnovers... and I'm a Houston fan.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't know, how many? Sounds like a good research project for you.