1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Franchising Mario Wiliams

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by 45souf, Feb 14, 2012.

1. 45souf

45souf Member

Just saw on sportscenter, that John Clayton expects Houston to franchise Mario Williams. We don't have that kinda cap room. Something has to give...Thought on how this will play out?

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

i dont think we will franchise him.. i think we will try to work out a long term contract at about 7-10mil a season...

that being said... i do belive if the front office thinks we cant sign him to a long term deal and fear him signing a lucrative deal elsewhere... i could see us franchising him and then trading him for extra draft picks or draft position...

be on the lookout because our front office isnt dumb and wont let him walk away empty handed....

3. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

He's not worth $22 million. This would be a stupid move.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I say there's three choices:

A.) Franchise him, and let him know that you will sign him to a more long term deal when you have the cap room.

B.)Sign him to a backloaded deal that he'll agree with.

C.)Restructure enough deals that you can sign him to what he wants.

I don't think you let Mario go, unless he is going to cost you a shot at resigning Foster. Given the choice of Mario over Foster, I'd go Foster 100% of the time. If we let Foster go, our whole front office should be fired on the spot.

Hopefully we'll keep the two of them, though. And somehow Meyers, also. Don't know if it's possible, but with enough restructuring, I think anything is. This scenario basically leaves us the ultimate shot at having an awesome draft.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm still confused as hell about what franchising him will actually cost.

If it is 120% of his 2011 cap number, then it will cost us just north of $18 million.

If that is the case, I expect us to be able to sign Arian, but not much else.

If not, then we'll have to restructure some contracts. Just don't tell Pancakes I said that.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I like Mario. I think they should keep him.
    I don't want to rely on Watts and Reed
    because they might have a sophmore slump
    [or overtrain]

That said. . . . I don't see how they can afford him.
    The *have* to take care of Arian and the offensive linement.
    If they don't . . . Schaub maybe on the shelf again at the end of next year

Plus they need a Receiver

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Draft another pass rushing LB if Mario will cost too much.

8. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

John Clayton sounds misinformed, the Texans have all but released a press statement that they aren't going to franchise Mario. Cap hit would be huge if we did.

9. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The Texans have done nothing at all concerning Mario. So, I'm not sure why you're saying they've hinted at one thing or the other.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

My feeling is you have to keep Mario. Connor Barwin is good, Brooks reed was fine, Mario was a beast. If Wade says to keep Mario though, you keep him. Brooks or Barwin are not instant sacks when Wade gets them lined up on a TE. Brooks got blocked by air last year. That is a credit to Wade, but lets be realistic.

Also this is an unrealistic choice between Arian and Mario. We can keep both of them. Andres contract is heavily incentive laden, he won't hit those. JJo is making cash, and Demeco is either gonna be cut or redo his contract. This team is not made up of high paid superstars. Our QB is also making less than most other non-rookie contract guys.

12. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

Mario Williams would be 1/6 of the salary cap. That is just dumb for a player that has never been dominant and was not really missed last year.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see Demeco getting cut. I know he redid his contract this past offseason but I don't know what the numbers were so i guess he could do it again

14. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

This. It's not impossible for us to keep both Mario and Arian.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its just as dumb (if not more so) to let him walk for nothing for the above reasons.

You say he has "never been dominant", but he was able to put up double digit sack #'s on defenses that had absolutely zero talent, zero scheme, and zero guidance. He was well on his way to having his most dominant season this year on a defense that finally was able to accrue talent up front, had a real scheme, and had real guidance.... all coming from a new position.

Sure, the defense was able to survive without him which is more a testament to the previously mentioned acquired talent, scheme, coaching than it was to his "ineffectiveness". It's pretty much unanimous thinking that he definitely makes this defense better, and he still has more overall individual talent than any other pass-rusher on this roster.

Too much is at stake with this team having a SOLID window of opportunity to be a Super Bowl team for the next 3-5 years to let players of his calibur walk away for nothing. I really don't see them letting him go.

16. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

yeah, i don't know why people seem to think they can't have both.

Mario's cap figure is going to be much lower and Arian's will obviously be much higher. so there is a little bit of an offset going on there. Granted, the aggregate will still be higher than it is now, i don't think it will be ridiculously higher in their 1st years of the deals.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Assuming, of course, that money doesn't talk. He'll see plenty of it flashed at him by other teams, and his agent has to know that.

If they can get both him and Foster to agree on 6 yr deals that offer small money in 2012 but balloon in 2013, they can thread the needle and maybe keep Myers as well. But everything depends on what Mario wants...for all we know, he may be excited about the idea of playing 4-3 end again somewhere.

18. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

brooks reed is very serviceable.

19. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

I agree with some of what you are saying here, but I still don't think he is worth 15 million a year.

I have never seen Mario dominate a line of scrimmage. He is continually stood up by some of the better tackles in the league. He is not one of the top 5 DEs or OLBs in the NFL, so I don't think we should pay him like he is. Let somebody else overspend.

20. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

he's not going to get 15 million a year though. I mean, sure the total contract value divided by the entire length may be $15, but we all know that in football contracts that's not "real" money.

And Mario has dominated the line of scrimmage, he has take over games at times. The problem is that he's been inconsistent in doing it and he seems to always be getting slowed down by minor injuries (until this year's major injury).

I'm not sure the texans will have to overpay to keep him. Of course, he's going to get a ton but that's just market value. If anything, a team will have to overpay to lure him away from the texans.