1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Franchise players

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Easy, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We all know that we are all thirsting for a true franchise player. The Pistons were the only team that won a championship without one.

I wanted to list out all franchise players by teams. (Some teams don't have one.) When I say "franchise player" I do not include second tier stars. This is of course a bit subjective. But I think most people would agree on most of my choices:

Atlantic
    Celtics: Pierce, Garnett
    Knicks: Anthony, Stoudemire
    Nets: Williams
    Raptors: --
    Sixers: --

Southeast
    Bobcats: --
    Hawks: --
    Heat: James, Wade
    Magic: Howard
    Wizards: Wall

Central
    Bucks: --
    Bulls: Rose
    Cavaliers: --
    Pacers: --
    Pistorns: --

Southwest
    Grizzlies: --
    Hornets: Paul
    Houston: --
    Mavericks: Nowitzki
    Spurs: Duncan

Northwest
    Jazz: --
    Nuggets: --
    Thunder: Durant
    Timberwolves: Love
    Trailblazers: Alderidge

Pacific
    Clippers: Griffin
    Kings: --
    Lakers: Bryant
    Suns: Nash
    Warriors: --

I counted 19. Three teams have 2. So almost half of the teams do not have a franchise player. A few of them (i.e. Duncan, Garnett, Nash, Bryant, Pierce) may have already been declining into sub-franchise status. On the other hand, 4 of these player are still on rookie contract (Griffin, Love, Wall, Rose).

Here are a few points I want to make:
    1. There aren't enough franchise players to spread around for every team, especially when some teams horde more than one.

2. In the past 12 months, 4 of these players changed teams, either by walking away in FA or by forcing their teams to trade them. Other than these 4 players, only Garnett and Nash have changed teams in their careers.

3. When we complain about not having a franchise player, think about how extremely difficult it is to get one. And think about the fact that we had two just a few years ago.

4. Franchise players forming superfriend teams is not good for competition in general.

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

garnett and pierce aren't franchise players right now. they are winning similar to the pistons' recipe: 4-5 star players. none of their players are top 10 players.

but you're right. that's why you have to build through the draft sometimes. a lot of young guys who are superstars now (westbrook, durant, rose, bg...).

so you gotta scout well, and draft high (meaning you have to suck for a year or two)

it's hard to trade for a superstar now unless he wants to go there.

i don't think we'll get one by trade or signing.

3. Octavianus

Octavianus Member

Could add Bosh in there, as he is a very good player, and easily a number one option on a lot of teams.

4. Rockets_4_life

I would add Demarcus Cousins to the Kings as a franchise player. His already shown sign's of brilliance!

5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

To be an NBA fan these days, it looks like you have to be a player first fan, instead of following one team that you bleed for through thick and thin. Personally I can't stand player only fans, because I tend to think of them as blind nutlickers to the superstars instead of having deep true knowledge of the game.

But yes, it's already known the NBA is a superstar league and if the superstars are teaming up, the fans for the have-not teams best be prepared for some lottery teams or playoff fodder for the superstar teams.

Message to Rockets fans: put away the brown bag for your head, a lot of teams are in the same predicament.

Also, Bosh is clearly a tier 2 star, much like Odom and Pau.

#5 v3.0, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  6. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Same could be said of Ellis with Golden State, Gay with Memphis, and Johnson with Atlanta.

7. Octavianus

Octavianus Member

Love and Aldridge are both on the list, so if they are, Bosh is as well, as he is just as good as those too.
    But I agree, Bosh right now is t2 star, but he is a top notch one, as he is turning into a very good player on both sides of the ball.

8. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Aldridge a franchise player???

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

These guys are all second tier stars. Teams with them being their alpha dogs won't go very far. You don't want to build your team around them.

I agree that Cousins could well be one. But for now, due to his unstable character, I'd wait at least another year to make sure.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If Gashole of the Fakers happened to be on another team that was a good supporting cast, he might make the list, possibly. Nice job, Easy.

:)