1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fran Blineburry] Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by freemaniam, Feb 8, 2009.

1. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

This is a good piece by Fran.

More here...

http://blogs.chron.com/franblinebury/2009/02/post_1.html

2. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

"Was Hakeem better than Bidelins?"

I think not.

3. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

watever, this shouldn't be a surpris after the boozer series....

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

lol hakeem might have busted 30 on yao in the first quarter so yes, he was that much better than jefferson.

but yao stayed composed and did his thing. most guys would get flustered after being dominated so easily like yao did in the first.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I actually remember Hakeem had some difficulty with the really massive centers like Eaton and Sabonis. Guys who were too slow to bite on his pump fakes.

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

eaton was a great shotblocker though, which is something yao is not. i don't think any player in the NBA fears yao's shotblocking.

7. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

You gotta love Yao,

"I have heard all of the stories. I have watched videos," Yao said. "But, of course, our careers were in different times, so I never got to play against Hakeem in his time. I have always wondered what it would be like. I see Jefferson tonight and I think this must be it. Right?"

I shook my head and grinned.

Yao smiled back.

"Maybe it's good I never got the chance," he said.

8. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

its funny when hakeem comes to the mosque where i go... your amazed and its so crazy to see him and be like.. man thats the guy on tv... this is a true nba legend... and he's just chilling next to me.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

quickness and skill is a hard combination to stop.
    luckily yao had a good game too. al jefferson seems to go off on us for some reason.

10. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Al Jefferson's game reminds me of of Hakeem's game.......when Hakeem was 35 and slower ;)

11. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

I miss Dream.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Dream did this to great centers for the entire playoffs. I miss those days.

13. hkcosser

hkcosser Member

Yao is Yao Ming, he does not need to do another person, including the great Hakeem Olajuwon

14. lalala902102001

Yao would never score 30 points on 18 shots if Hakeem in his prime was guarding him...NEVER. Al Jefferson is getting ultra-overrated overtime. Comparing him to Dream? Are you kidding?

15. bushbush1988

bushbush1988 Member

well

i thought the top 3 C today (assume duncan is a PF), the most skilled is yao, most atheltic is dwight, and the most balanced is definitely jefferson

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

True, Yao is not a great shotblocker like Dream and Eaton. But no player fears Yao's shotblocking? Well, fear maybe a strong word. But I think you are grossly underestimating Yao's presence in the paint.

17. leonking

leonking Rookie

AJ isn't that good. He is a 4% dunker, 51% jump shooter with only 36.7% eFG. He always got big numbers from Rockets because he shot a lot (Only three 30 fga this season and 2 of them are vs. Rockets). He made those jump shots just because Yao is too slow for him.

18. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

Al Jefferson's game reminds me of a taller, more athletic Elton Brand than anything. You can't even compare Jefferson to Hakeem...it's just a dishonor.

19. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Al Jefferson put up a Hakeem like performance ...tonight. If Jefferson can keep putting up these numbers for a few more seasons and carry his team into the playoffs ...then we can let true comparisons begin. As of now, I'm not convinced Jefferson is the type of player you can build a team around.

Anyway, Hakeem always had a tough time against the bigger guys (...and in Denver). But I'm fairly certain Hakeem would destroy Yao. Yao is not a really smart or intuitive player. Yao is a tactician and fundamentally sound player. He does what's he's told and does it well. But he'd have a hard time dealing with Hakeem's creativity. Plus Hakeem would easily block 2-3 shots a game against Yao because Yao is so predictable and Dream would have the athleticism to recover and get some blocks from behind (not unlike Jefferson's block on Yao tonight when Yao hurt his shoulder).

20. DreamRoxCoogFan

you go to dawah center? work in downtown, no doubt...