1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FOX26] Texans Expected To Put Guard Fred Weary On Injured Reserve

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by amorephd, Aug 18, 2008.

1. amorephd

amorephd Member

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/p...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

The Houston Texans are expected to place guard Fred Weary on injured reserve Monday. The club would then have five days to execute an injury settlement with him. If that happens the Texans could still re-sign Weary and return him to the active roster.

This move could also signal the end of Weary's career in Houston. He is one of four remaining original Texans.

Weary started the first 12 games in 2007 before suffering a devastating leg injury against Tennessee in December ending his season. Weary broke his right leg in two places and was placed on the reserve/injured list.

The injury played a role in Weary's development in training camp. Bothered by surgical screws that were placed in the leg to help it heal, he recently had them removed with hopes that would get him back on the field.

After starting 12 games during Houston's initial season in 2002, Weary would only start seven games over the next three years. He would then battle his way back into the starting line up, starting 24 games over the next two years.

In November of 2007 Weary sued the City of Houston and two police officers after he was arrested in November of 2006 and shot with a Taser gun during a routine traffic stop.

The lawsuit has not gone to trial yet.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah I saw that. We're running out of original Texans! I dont know if that is a good thing or bad thing. :confused:

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This sux. Weary was one of the better Texans OL; some said best. The Texan OL wasn't that good to begin with and did not have much depth. Hopefully the new OL coach can work miracles.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Have you been watching? Brown is better than advertised. Mike Briesel made this move with Weary possible. Briesel took the position from Weary, injury or not. The line has been playing great to this point in the passing game. There is still improvement to be had in the running game, but that will come with time in Gibbs' system.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I was just about the mention Briesel, he would probably have the starting job even if Weary was not injured. Kubiak has also mentioned that Studdard has really improved this year so hopefully he can get some PT this year as well.

6. conquistador#11

the great american steve was just released by the parcells regime. Maybe sign him as a back up? :D He gives entertaining interviews and I really miss his show on tuesdays :(

7. No Worries

Same thing happened last pre-season. Regular season started and our QBs were running for their lives.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

On the Index page when I saw" [FOX26] Texans...", my first reaction was the Texans cut Ahman Green.

9. msn

msn Member

The Texans were like 6th best in sacks allowed last season.

10. No Worries

Then that is one pretty fu**ing meaningless stat. The Texans were forced into 3 step drops pretty quickly at the start of last season. Schaub also got hurt, due to OL failures, even with the three step drops. You could even see him having nervous feet in his last set of games.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

As Texan fans, we should embrace this stat more than any other IMO. :p

The OL was very shaky (to say the least) at the beginning of the season like you said, but they improved greatly throughout the season and well the fact that they ended up in the Top 10 in sacks allowed shows that.

I was reading the latest SI and they ranked the Texans OL as being the #1 up and coming OL in the NFL citing the #6 ranking plus the HUGE improvement throughout the season.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm not saying they couldn't improve, but IIRC Schaub was taken out by a cheap shot on an interception.

Briesel was out playing Weary and probably would have won the job, injury or not.