1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FOX26] Olajuwon Works With Grizzlies' Thabeet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by amorephd, Sep 26, 2009.

1. amorephd

amorephd Member

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/090926_olajuwon_works_with_grizzlies_thabeet

Lakers' Bryant also Sought Out Olajuwon

MARK BERMAN
    HOUSTON - Memphis Grizzlies rookie center Hasheem Thabeet, the second pick in June's NBA Draft out of UCONN, went to a different kind of school Friday and Saturday.

Thabeet and his agents asked Hall of Fame center Hakeem Olajuwon for a personal workout and the two got together for a pair of sessions in the Houston area.

Thabeet's goal was to sharpen his skills and tap into the knowledge of one of greatest centers of all-time and who better to work with than Olajuwon.

"It's always a joy for me when a great, potential talent would like to improve their footwork," Olajuwon said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. It's a huge compliment for me that somebody realized the value of their post moves and trying to pattern their game after my game."

Thabeet said getting the opportunity to work with a Hall of Famer like Olajuwon was a dream come true.

"I still watch his tapes," Thabeet said. "He was one of the best players of all-time.

...this is all I could cut and paste on my phone...

...amorephd...

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Ah Hakeem... Undeniably the best player in the NBA... ever...

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Looks like Dream has joined forces with Rudy T in helping the enemy. Oh well, they mean well.

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

How about this for a thread title.

Olajuwon works with Lakers' Bryant.

So Kobe was down here in Houston, huh?

5. durvasa

Seriously, who cares about Thabeet?

6. Chamillionaire

olajuwon, one of the best post players ever. the other two would be shaq and kareem.

7. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I like to read anything about the Dream. I wish we could rewind time and bring him back to the good guys.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It doesn't matter if one cares or not,if he can learn something from the Dream,good for him.

9. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

That's great for Thabeet. God Kobe wants every little secret out there to better himself as a player. You have to respect his competitive drive even if he is a jerk.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Bryant has given Hakeem great respect,I like that. I don't like Kobe,however I have to admit he is a student of the game and probably only second to Jordan as a competitor.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Hakeem did give tips while playing. Worked with Duncan. Bryant is smart to seek out Hakeem. But big men need to stop chasing the pipe dream. If big men like Thabeet and Okafor want to improve their game they need to hire CHUCK HAYES and learn how to rebound and play defense. If Hayes can do it they can do it.

1 person likes this.
  12. durvasa

I think Kam's title better highlights what's interesting about the article. But I agree, good for Thabeet.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think Hayes is quicker than most big men, so his post defense moves might not be applicable to them. Also Hayes is undersized, so his defensive moves might not be optimal for people who are legit 7 footers and have amazing wingspan.

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Yeah, that's where I was getting at. It's interesting that Kobe is going to Hakeem to seek some tips.

But it's good for Thabeet. It makes for a good similar story to Hakeems.

15. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I can't think of anything I respect more in life than the deranged dedication to one's craft that has made Kobe Bryant possibly the most skilled basketball player of all time. His and Michael Jordan's footwork is really more art than sport.

1 person likes this.
  16. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Agreed 110% Great post.

17. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Agreed, Kobe is great. Jordan was better, but Kobe is great.

18. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I guess Kobe has exhausted all the Jordan tapes he's got.

19. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Jordan is undoubtedly better. Its debatable how good Kobe is exactly though thats really irrelevant. What they have in common is that they are both basketball geniuses. Watching them play induces the image of an empty gym and mechanized deliberation. This latest revelation has only increased my respect for Kobe. My appreciation for such fervid pursuit of "perfection" stems from the same root of what causes my disdain for the apathy exhibited by most players toward the development of even the most basic skills.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

To be quite honest, I think Kobe is way more intense and more dedicated to basketball than Jordan ever was. Jordan had it easy, he has scores of worshippers and he was the biggest fish in the sea since day 1. Kobe on the other hand has been in Jordan's shadow since he entered the league and I think the constant comparisons just made his already competitive nature go haywire. I don't know how Jordan developed his post-moves, but Hakeem is right his moves are tailor made for guards and forwards with bball genius iqs like Kobe. I suspect if they continue working out like this you're gonna see the most complete offensive player in the history of the NBA