1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FOX26] Adams Has Hope for Hall of Fame Entry

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by amorephd, Oct 30, 2008.

1. amorephd

amorephd Member

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/p...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

Adams Excited About NFL's Plans to Honor AFL's 50th Anniversary

Last Edited: Thursday, 30 Oct 2008, 6:03 PM CDT
    Created: Thursday, 30 Oct 2008, 6:03 PM CDT

HOUSTON -- K.S. "Bud" Adams, Jr. has owned the Tennessee Titans franchise for 49 years, including its first 36 years in Houston, known then as the Oilers. He is on the initial ballot for the 2009 class of the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.

If elected, he would have a chance to join the Hall of Fame during the 50th anniversary of his franchise, a charter member of the old American Football League.

"It's the ultimate to be in the Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio," said Adams in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "It would be the best yet.

"To start thinking about the Hall of Fame in Canton, to have an opportunity to get in there, would be the greatest of all. I was hopeful some day that I would get into it."

And Adams is thrilled with the National Football League's plans that are in the works to honor the 50th anniversary of the American Football League in 2009.

Adams said the plans include the Titans playing a home game against the N.Y. Jets, with Tennessee wearing their old Oiler uniforms and the Jets wearing the uniforms of the old N.Y. Titans, their original name in the AFL.

"They agree that that would be a real exciting game with the New York Titans playing the Nashville Oilers," Adams said.

Adams adds the NFL's AFL anniversary plans for 2009 also would include his team, wearing Oiler uniforms, playing a road game against the Kansas City Chiefs. The Chiefs would wear the uniforms of the Dallas Texans, their name in the AFL prior to moving to Kansas City. The Oilers, Jets, and Chiefs were charter members of the AFL.

"I think it's terrific," Adams said. "The National Football League came up with this idea of having the 50th anniversary of the old American Football League."

Adams' Titans are off to its best start in franchise history, winners of its first seven games.

"I hate to be saying things and not get there, but as we go along like this, we continue doing what we are doing, this team has the capabilities of being a Super Bowl team and I'm ready to be in a Super Bowl and come out a winner too," Adams said.

In their only trip to the Super Bowl the Titans lost to St. Louis following the 1999 season.

Adams franchise moved to Tennessee in 1997. Adams recalls then-Nashville mayor, Phil Bredesen, now Tennessee's governor, hung up on him during their initial phone call.

"He got on the telephone and said Adams what are you telling my secretary?" Adams said. "I said I was telling her I would move my NFL team to Nashville if I can get a stadium built.

"He said fella I don't know how you got through to my secretary, but I don't believe a word you are saying. I don't think any NFL team that lives in a city as big as Houston, Texas would want to move to a little city over here in Nashville and he hung up on me."

Adams said he told his wife he expected the Nashville mayor to call him back and he did, in 22 minutes.

"He said Mr. Adams I'm really sorry, " Adams said. "I just didn't believe any team would move to a little town (like Nashville).

Adams did move his franchise and it has been wildly successful, selling out every game since 1999.

Adams dreams of winning his first Super Bowl and induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame could happen during the 50th anniversary of when it all began for him and his franchise.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

He sucks.

Hope he never achieves any additional dreams or goals.

3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I hope the Steelers, Jets, Chargers, Jags, Colts, Patriots, Bengals, Ravens, Raiders, Bills, and every other team I didn't name stands in the way of that Super Bowl.

4. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

buckfud and his piece of ****e team.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He should be in the hall of fame, he was one of the founders of the AFL and brought football to Houston.

DD

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Barron Hilton, Harry Wismer, Bob Howsam, and Billy Sullivan should be in as well...if that Bud guy gets a bid.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'd like to add the texans in big, bold letters to that list.

8. Fatty FatBastard

Bud's problem was timing. But the fact that he made a MINT off of a $50,000 investment (and let's say that in todays dollars it was a million, and that is being TRULY generous) he could not have come to we, the fans, at a worse time, or with a worse mayor.

You can't threaten to move to Jacksonville in 87 and then, after we did what asked, threaten to move to Tennessee in 93. That is EXACTLY what he did.

We are a football city in a football state. It saddens me that the Texans have done as poorly as they have because every year we suck, you get a new group of new Cowboy fans.

And that is the most despicable part of Bud's, (and Lanier's) treason.

IMO, we need the NFL to righteously connect the Texans to the Oilers, much like Cleveland.

Anything else is an absolute travesty.

9. TRIQSTER

TRIQSTER Contributing Member

once again,

f bud adams.

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

As Barkley would say "Bob Lanier is rolling over in his grave"

David Williams whom Bud refused to give a gamecheck cause David wanted to see the birth of his child, is rolling over in his grave

Jim Eddy is rolling over in his grave

hell the city of houston full of true Oiler fans are rolling over in their grave

Eff Bud Adams, He deserves the D-Bag HOF

:mad:

11. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I agree.

But I don't want the Titans to get a trophy... in fact the Wild Card Texans should knock them off in the AFC title game... due to an instant replay reversed call in Houston's favor.

That would be poetic justice.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I hope he's a miserable son of a b****.