1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fox Sports "Ming and Battier overrated"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rldewar, Aug 16, 2008.

1. rldewar

rldewar Contributing Member

2. zantabak1111

zantabak1111 Member

Yao isn't overrated its just he's like a DH all offense and a big risk on D late in game, but baseball has superstars that are DH like Papi,Hafner,Thome, Frank Thomas nothing wrong with offense only. Fox sports is awful anyways

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I didn't even know Shane was rated.

Ironic of them to put Dwayne Wade out there when he is over in Beijing being the best player in the world right now - good timing.

4. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Them rating Dwayne Wade overrated at #5 completely ruins their credibility. Have they been watching the Olympics AT ALL?

5. tofu--

tofu-- Member

"The fact that [Battier] was asked to represent the USA as one of the best 15 players is reason enough to call him the most overrated player in the game."

The fact that he actually was chosen to represent the USA is reason enough for us to know the writer has no clue what the hell he's talking about.

6. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

Wow. All biases aside, this had to be written with the purpose of touching peoples nerves. Wade has been the best player on both ends of the floor during the Olympics so far; Marion may be overpaid, but he's not overrated; Yao has underachieved because of injury, but how can you call the best center in the L overrated; and what are they thinking making Shane no. 1?

He has never even been voted DPOY! If anything, he's underrated.

7. mw_mw

mw_mw Member

Fox Sports is overrated ;)

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This list is a joke.

Why target Battier? Battier is the ultimate "you know exactly what you're getting" type of player. Nobody pays him $20M a year. Nobody asks him to be a star. He's your ideal role player that does exactly what he's asked to do. If you consider that to be an overrated aspect of basketball I hope to God you're never GM of my favorite basketball team.

Marion is the same to a different degree. He gets paid like a star but he does everything on the court. He scores, he rebounds, he defends, creates extra possessions. Basically provides a bunch of intangibles. If the Heat are elite in the near future he'll be the unsung hero.

Speaking of the Heat, anybody that thinks Wade is overrated especially after this summer needs their head checked. Talk to me when the Heat win 45-50 games this year and make some noise in the Eastern Conference. Tell me how overrated one of the top five players in the league is then.

Why poke fun at Big Shot Bob? Everybody knows he can't play anymore. His hardware speaks for itself. There are plenty of teams out there that can use a player like him on their bench.

...and as for Yao, I refuse to give the Skip Bayless "better off without him" logic any merit. Try again.

9. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

You are wrong

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I could have let the Matrix pick slide (although I disagree) if the other 4 picks had made any sense. I think this is a case of someone who doesn't watch any basketball throwing out names they heard Skip Bayless mention.

If I'm the editor at Foxsports I might not let this guy continue to work there. Those picks were really that bad.

11. bball1217

bball1217 Member

That is just horrible.
    :mad:

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The fact that he picked a guy who may be forced into retirement due to lack of interest (isn't that the opposite of overrated?) shows how in touch he is with the NBA.

13. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure all sports journalists and most non-Rockets fans think Yao is overrated. However, if so many people think he's overrated...doesn't that by default make him no longer overrated?

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

If this guy is so obsessed with "hype" why isn't LeBron on that list too? LeBron is only the most hyped up basketball player of all time and he doesn't have a ring yet. Shouldn't he be on that list too? :rolleyes:

Somebody send a memo to Mayo, Oden, Rose, Beasley and all those other guys being hyped up. No matter what you do you'll never be able to impress this soon-to-be-unemployed sports writer. Might as well quit while you're already behind!

15. Raven

Raven Member

How can a player be overrated when they've been bad mouthed their entire professional career?

16. Shay

Shay Member

Battier IS overrated , he is one of those players that everybody say how underrated they are and they become overrated.

Yao is overrated too imo , he is considerd a superstar which imo he is not , he is not 1st tier(Lebron , Kobe , Duncan , Wade , KG , Paul , Howard) , he is 2nd tier (Yao , T-Mac , D,Williams , Amare etc...)

Everybody keeps saying we have 2 superstars when we truly have 2 very good all stars not superstars , but they are capable to bo on superstar lever some nights.

T-Mac when he is 100% ready physically and mentally , and Yao whne he is helathy and the matchup is right.

17. tmacyaokobe01

tmacyaokobe01 Rookie

Wow this guy is a complete joke and should be fired, Wade, Marion, Battier and Yao are not overrated in any shape way or form.

If Battier is anything he is underrated, and Yao Ming is not overrated, take a look at Dwight Howard if you want overrated.

18. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

I wish I could interview all these "writers" and ask why they hate the Rockets so much. 2 players on that list are on the Rockets and one used to be, theres a pattern there. DWade overrated? Has this guy been watching the Olympics?

I don't think Marion is overrated. No one has ever said he is a franchise player, he does the little things (like battier) but can also score, that is the only difference between him and battier.

This guy pulled this straight out of his ass. He must have been bored and just thought of something he could crap out to get attention.

19. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

Yeah, putting Wade on the list is a joke. Inclusion of reasonably paid non stars is idiotic. As for Yao, the fact that we can survive without him suggests that either he isn't that good or the team around him has been built improperly, or the Rockets are a really good team. I'd go with number 2 and 3 before I'd go with number 1.

I can give him Marion but he wouldn't make my five -
    dirk, Kobe, Garnett, Carmelo, Dwight. Flame away.

20. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Save for Marion, this is a horrible list.