1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FOX SPORTS] Expect Astros manager change in '13

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by 713, Jul 6, 2012.

1. 713

713 Member

[​IMG]

FULL ARTICLE: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...er-brad-mills-change-at-end-of-season-070612-

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Not shocking at all. I hope they give Jim Riggleman a long look. I want the Astros to hire an experienced manager who can teach the young guys how to play baseball the right way and help develop them because this team is going be very young for the next 2-3 years at least.

3. SupermoochieFro

Not really a shocker since 2013 will roll out so many new changes for this team. Why not a new manager. It's a tough hand that's been dealt to Mills but a change would be best.

Curious if they seriously want to look at Pettini, would they let Mills go early and let him audition?

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

we say it every year, but what would it take to convince JD to coach?

although it would suck not having him in the booth.

5. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

The team hasn't really underachieved but they certainly haven't overachieved. New League/New Uniforms/New look to the stadium/New TV Network and New Manger ....Why not?

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

Mills may be gone by Sunday night. :eek:

7. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Although I'm not going to be sad to see him go, I kinda feel bad for Mills. Back when he signed up, a lot of baseball people were saying that Mills picked a bad situation to be his first managing gig. It pretty much proved true for him.

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

pretty much my thoughts exactly. i suppose you could say the same thing for cecil cooper as well.

i'd feel worse for the guy if he wasn't such a bore. give me a skipper with some spunk.

9. msn

msn Member

I feel bad for Mills. I bet he lands another gig and does well.

Jimy! :grin:

10. conquistador#11

whoa, they're going oout on a limb here.

I will sure miss those seven pitching changes in an inning games.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I will not be surprised either way.

Luhnow will certainly want his own man as the manager. Luhnow had his chance of cleaning house before spring training but did not.

As a plus, Mills does have AL manager experience, so Luhnow might keep him one more year. Mills has also spent extra time in pre-game exercises getting the younger players up to speed.

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

No way man, he helps to make watching these games on tv tolerable.

13. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I actually think Mills is a solid baseball guy, he's just in a no win situation. Caught in between the selling of the team and selling off most anything of value makes it tough to succeed. That said I think it's necessary for JL to get his people in there to get this thing started the way he sees fit.

15. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Even if JD were the next big thing in managing, I'm almost certain I'd rather take my chances with someone else just to keep him in the booth. I say that somewhat jokingly, but I think that's honestly how I feel.

16. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I don't want to see that guy near the Astros. He sucks always has always will. He always takes bad jobs and turns them into terrible jobs.

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

whenever i click on this thread, the picture kills me every time.

captures millsy perfectly.

18. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Riggleman would be a poor choice. He is a journeyman manager, and I am not sure he is the best choice to deal with all of the changes.

Any chance we could get Ausmus as a bench coach?

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Hard to evaluate a manager when the team is so bad or put too much blame on him when the team loses, but I can't stand the way he manages. He's not THE problem, but he's not doing us any favors either.

20. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

honest question here.. but why WOULDN'T the astros and Jim Crane want Biggio to be on the bench in some capacity?

i know he coached St Thomas and didn't know how long he planned on doing that or would he have to start at the bottom and work his way up?