1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FOX]Olajuwon: Dwight Howard, Jeremy Lin 'combination is very deadly'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by eomor131, Sep 18, 2013.

1. JJHardLin

JJHardLin Member

very deadly indeed, same with harden/dwight PnR. now why they don't do it often beats me.. These two guys put pressure on the defense when they run the PnR with dwight. Instead we stick to a iso heavy offense -_-

2. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

Lin's inconsistency is so frustrating, because the difference between his "A" game and when he's off is really far apart. People keep ignoring the fact that this is technically his sophomore year on a team where he's not the first, second, and sometimes third choice. Have to give him time to develop, and what he has improved on in one off-season shows good signs. This team is looking great, its a good thing when Morey isn't trading Lin unless its for anything better.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is Lins 4th year. Stop making excuses for him, he is not asking for them.

DD

4. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

ahha....Linsistency. I would rep if I could, his consistency definitely needs to rise.

5. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

His 4th year, but his first two years were technically garbage time and your saying it like hes had time to develop on the court. Its really only his sophomore year starting. Hes looking decent so far, and no one is making excuses.

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I get so sick of hearing "he didn't have time to develop on the court" whether it be in regards to Jeremy Lin or Donatas Motiejunas or whomever.

Asik didn't get time to develop on the court before he became our starter last year either. That didn't prevent him from being elite in all of the things expected of him. Do you know why? BECAUSE THEY ACTUALLY PLAY BASKETBALL WHEN WE AREN'T WATCHING! They have practice. They have scrimmages. They play in pickup games.

I'll acknowledge there is more pressure to perform on the big stage (i.e. Dwight missing his free throws when he apparently shoots them well in practice), but that is merely a mental obstacle. Jeremy Lin and every single other NBA player has ample time and opportunity to FULLY develop their game outside of game time.

On top of that, there have been players that have been drafted straight out of high school and played at a high level from the first second they stepped on to the court.

Jeremy is 25 years old. Not 18. He has no more excuses. He is just a short year or two away from the prime of his career for crying out loud.

I'm afraid he essentially is what he is; a solid, likable, hard-working rotation caliber player who will never be a star in the NBA.

7. zdrav

zdrav Member

Go tell it to people like Kevin McHale and Kelvin Sampson, who have said that Lin was basically a rookie last year.

8. qiantom1999

qiantom1999 Rookie

Exactly. Consistency is demanded from stars of the team. If the team plays Lin like a role player, you cannot possibly demand consistency from him. But still, he actually has been pretty darn consistent this season. Even when he is not scoring as well recently, he is been playing solid defense very consistently.

9. lfw

lfw Rookie

Break up the team. Parsons, Harden, Bev are not going to improve either because they are already 24-25 years old. :rolleyes:

10. Little General

Jeremy Lin is still improving and we should know this because he has improved his game during the summer. And the turnovers that he makes looks really fixable in my opinion. If Lin can fix his turnovers, stay consistent and raise a bit of his assists then I think he could be a star. Don't you think so?

11. Crunchyball

Crunchyball Rookie

u lin fans please chill out on mchale hate, and we can all enjoy together the team win.

12. Williamson

First, I didn't say he wouldn't improve at all. I said he's never going to be a star.

Second, I actually don't think any of those guys will dramatically improve. And none of them have to dramatically improve. Harden needs to dramatically improve his defensive effort (but he already plays pretty stellar defense when he actually tries). And I'm sure he'll improve in small ways here and there, as will Lin, Parsons and Bev. But to expect any of them to have some breakout year where they emerge as superstars is pretty far fetched.

13. Williamson

Do I think he can reduce his turnovers, become more consistent and raise his assists? All of those things are possible. He certainly puts in the effort. But he needs to do those things to be considered a respectable starter in the NBA. I just don't see star potential there. That said, I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong many more times. And believe me, I'd love for Jeremy to prove me wrong. But this forum is to express our opinions and mine is Jeremy Lin is never going to be a star and the playing time excuse is just that - an excuse.

14. lfw

lfw Rookie

OK, I see what you are saying. I do agree as they get older it would be more difficult to improve but look at Dragic this year. He is playing at an all-star level right now in my opinion.

15. Little General

I agree that this forum is to express our opinions and that's why my opinion is that Lin could be star. Maybe not a superstar like Chris Paul, but it wouldn't hurt to hope for it lol. Might turn into a prime Jason Kidd or Steve Nash. Or am I going to far now? lol :grin:

16. qiantom1999

qiantom1999 Rookie

Houston pretty much cannot afford another all-star level player. I am not sure Lin becoming an all-star is beneficial to the team.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Excuses, excuses, excuses.....no more wussy talk.

He is in year 4 - period.

DD

18. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I completely agree! The kid has had plenty of opportunities to shine and prove his worth. People give him way too much credit.

19. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

And you have never given him any credit at all. Plenty of hate though.

20. ccrystal99

ccrystal99 Member

Why some people are still attacking him after a good performance and a win? Why not just be happy for it?